Hey Canari

Started by Chez Bubba, January 12, 2005, 01:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chez Bubba

First of all, welcome to the forum. Of course we're interested in your input, we all have our own special areas of expertise.[:)]

What do you know about smoking haddock? My wife's family tradionally has finnan haddie on Christmas Eve & I want to give it a go. I realize it's not a Norwegian dish, but you're a lot closer to there than Indiana.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

nsxbill

Canari

Glad you have joined us.  Do you have a Bradley or another type of smoker?  What kinds of things do you enjoy smoking most?  Always interested in hearing about more international dishes...the similarities and the differences in the ways of smoking meat.

Welcome to the forum from Northern California.

Bill

There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

JJC

Hi Canari,

I know I've already welcomed you in another post, but I told you that lots of folks would want to hear how things are done in Norway!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

canari

Hello and thanks for the warm welcom, i Have not seen this topic before now.[:I][:I] I have some recipe i would love to share with you. But i have to translate them first[:)]

I am using an old dobbel fridge as a smoke house and the fireplace is outside connected with a 5 m, 5 inch ventilating pipe, And today i am smoking 30 kg Cod. Normaly i smoke saltwater fish like Cod ,mackerel,herring, haddock, Salmon, trout and some bacon. But now i have a project with a big smoked cured ham ( leg of pork ) 11 kg. This is a long project !!  1 year at least. I am just in the 2 months brine  period . About 3 weeks from now , it`s ready for smoking.

canari

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />First of all, welcome to the forum. Of course we're interested in your input, we all have our own special areas of expertise.[:)]

What do you know about smoking haddock? My wife's family tradionally has finnan haddie on Christmas Eve & I want to give it a go. I realize it's not a Norwegian dish, but you're a lot closer to there than Indiana.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Haddock is a Norwegian dish, we use a lot of Haddock in the Norwegian kitchen. And i smoke Haddock almost weekly. First i fillet the fish and put some dry salt on it ( so the fish brien`s itself ) Normaly for 10 to 12 houres. Afterwards i put the fillet in fresh water for 1/2 to 1 hour. Then you have to dry the fish for 3 to 4 hour. Then it`s ready for smoking. I normaly not smoke it to hard for about 10 to 12 hour.. The Haddock is also very god on the fry pan. And it is also very god to make fishballs/fish kake. But there is one fish ho beat`s them all and that`s the sea scorpion, not smoked but on the grill, marinated on a spit.[:)][:)]

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by canari</i>
<br /> ......The Haddock is also very good on the fry pan.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You are exactly correct.  Great stuff.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...