good sausage seasoning mix?

Started by BTUCKER, January 31, 2009, 05:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BTUCKER

i just got a smoker and LOVE it i have brisket and loin stuff down pretty good now i am looking to smoke some deer sausage.... any prepacked seasoning ideas?   or what do yall use?  i like to keep things simple.  but i like things SPICY too............

Caribou

Welcome to the forum Btucker!
I am very new to the sausage businesss ;)
But for a premixed season for venison I can recommend Penzey's Venison Sausage Seasoning available at www.Penzeys.com
I have only used it for fresh sausage but it probably can be incorporated into a smoked sausage recipe.
There are so many experienced folks on this forum that can probably recommend so much more.
Carolyn

Piker

There are many kinds of premixed packaged seasonings out there. Just make sure there is cure added if you are smoking. Or you can do your own with spices you like but make a small batch and fry up a patty to see if you like and then just experiment to your hearts content. Thats the best part of sausage making. Dave

drano

BTUCKER
Welcome to the forum!  Glad you like the smoker. 
When you get a chance, buy the book:   Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas
It has lots of great sausage making info, and recipes.
I get my spice packs from this place, on the south edge of Omaha NE.
http://www.friscospices.com/sausageseasoningmixes.asp
They also sell casings, and other stuff.  Their collagen casing are very well priced.   
Their summer sausage mix is great.  I've been using it for several years.  I also use their beer brat mix, and the family loves it. 
I made a batch of beef sticks last month using their spice pack, and they also are very good. 
get smokin
drano

Buck36

Btucker,

If you have a way to stuff them, snack sticks are always a huge hit in our house. Butcher & Packer have some good kits.

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=210_213