Newbie with a question...

Started by Wattles, January 31, 2009, 05:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wattles

just seasoning my OBS tonite.
all seemed to be working just fine until a minute ago.

i put in 6 bisquettes as it stated, adjusted the temp to around 150 to 160...and i had smoke galore for the last hour.

then, the last 2 bisquettes didnt feed onto to the plate.  the 4th pellet kept burning on it.  hit the manual advance button and it made the advancing sound but nothing happened.

the tube was empty, no bisquettes behind...is this the reason they stopped advancing?  do you need a supply of bisquettes behind to keep em pushing along?

THANKS in advance!!!!  nice to have this forum.

Wattles

im thinkin i shoulda looked closer at the design of the pellet advance tray before asking this question as it may be self explanatory...
i tossed in 5 more pellets, hit auto advance and it worked fine...so im thinkin the advance arms are 3 pellets behind the pellet on the hot plate and if you run down to 3 pellets no more advancing takes place...ill know in 19 more minutes i guess!  LOL

Smokenius

You have diagnosed the problem correctly.  You need to pick a couple of "Bubba pucks."  They are metal discs that you place on top of the bisquettes to allow the last two to burn and advance properly.  Just search for them in the forum.

Wattles

thanks smokenius!

just found this too!  LOL

"Q. How do I season my new Smoker?

A. The seasoning steps are also located in your operator's manual.
Wash / dry all the racks, drip tray, drip bowl rectangular tray and place in smoker.
Plug in smoker, turn on smoke generator, push temp slider control halfway to the right. For the digital set temperature to 150 degrees F (66 C).
Load the feeder tube with 5 bisquettes of your favorite wood (if you purchased the variety pack, I would go with "special blend) and fill the drip bowl half full of water bowl.
Press Bisquette Advance Button until a bisquette is on the burner (you will need to push the button 3 times).
Close door and open the Top Vent slightly.
Smoker should be at 150 degrees F. If the temperature is higher adjust the temperature heat control. Smoke the tower continuously until the bisquettes run out; after about one hour. Five (5) bisquettes will equal one hour of smoke - the last 2 bisquettes will not advance onto the Burner."

ill try not to ask questions in the future that might already have been answered.  sorry folks!

off to read some of the recipes!!!

Smoking Duck

If you need to acquire some Bubba Pucks (they'll save you money on pucks in the long run) see the link at the bottom of my signature line.  They're great folks to deal with.

And welcome to the forum!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

deb415611

Welcome Wattles.  I was going to recommend Yard & Pool for the Bubba Pucks but I see Duck beat me to it.

IKnowWood

Oh yeah.  Wattles.  Just remember.  No question is dumb enough for us.  We already asked them.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Wattles

LOL, thanks all for the welcome!

i cannot wait to get to smokin, especially some venison!

Gizmo

Check out the recipe site at this link.  It is a collection from all the members here and geared to using the bradley.  There are other recipes that are not smoking recipes, and there are other hints and tips on the bradley as well.

http://www.susanminor.org/
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Wattles

Gizmo

Sure thing,
Don't be a stranger and keep us up to date on what you are doing.  We love to hear about what or how folks are doing and of course the posting of pictures are always appreciated by the folks here, especially those that take a peak while at work and can only drool at what they can't eat.   ;D

Wattles

will do!
not worth a fresh post, but chunked up a boned out hindqtr tonite from a small doe this season...gettin ready, thawin another one currently before i start grinding and mixing.
2" x 12" summer sausage sticks and snack stix are first on my to do list...

Gizmo

You are well dialed in and on your way.  Thanks for the pic.