Smoked Black Peppercorns

Started by Habanero Smoker, February 04, 2009, 02:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I was in a supermarket and I saw McCormick had a new product called Smokehouse Ground Black Pepper; a hickory flavored ground black pepper. I started to get it, but then realized, I have peppercorns and I have smoke. So I decided to make my own. This was not as easy as I thought.

After my first trial I obtained very little smoke flavor, so I decide to buy the McCormick brand so that I would have something to compare my results with. After my fourth trial I now have it so that you can taste the smoke flavor. First two times I used the cold smoke method. First trial was with whole peppercorns, and the second was with cracked pepper corns. Both had hardly any noticeable smoke flavor. Then I stumbled upon a "How to make Lemon Pepper" recipe. That recipe stated you need to crack the peppercorns, blend in the lemon zest and bake it in a preheated 275°F for a period of time. The high heat allows both the peppercorns and lemon zest to release some of their essential oils and blend together. So I figured if the oil of the peppercorns are broth to the surface that may improve the smoke adhesion, and flavor; it seemed to be the answer.

Smoked Black Peppercorns
Ingredients:
Tellicherry Black Peppercorns, cracked

Materials:
Shallow aluminum pan(s) that will fit inside the rack, or aluminum foil
Mesquite or Hickory bisquettes
Cold Smoke setup (optional)

If using the Bradley smoker, it is best to use the cold smoke setup. This removes any chance of the peppercorns absorbing moisture that will be produced with the water bowl in the cabinet. Heat the cabinet to 200°F – 210°F making sure not to go beyond this temperature, and set the vent to 25% - 50% opened (if not using the cold smoke setup you may want to use a wider opening). While preheating the smoker make sure you also preheat the generator.

Next use a quality Tellicherry Black Peppercorns, but not the Penzy's Extra Bold Black Peppercorns, their strong flavor overpowers any smoke that is applied. The most difficult part of the recipe is to crack the peppercorns. The easiest way is to use a spice grinder with a blade, but if you have a mini food processor that works better. You need to work in small batches to prevent turning the peppercorns into a powder. The goal is to crack the corns not to grind them. Another way to crack the peppercorns is to spread them out on a cutting board, the use a heavy skillet to press down on the peppercorns to crack them.

Spread cracked peppercorns in a thin even layer in the aluminum pan(s). The aluminum pans need to have low sides, and be able to fit inside the racks with enough space for heat and smoke to circulate.

• If you can't find the right size pans, you can make you own pans using 12 inch wide heavy duty aluminum foil. Use a sheet 20 inches long and fold in half, you will have a sheet approximately 12 inches by 10 inches. Fold up the edges so that it forms four sides that are about ½" – 1" high. Set this "pan" in the middle of the rack. There will be plenty of room for heat and smoke to circulate.

Place racks in the smoker. If you have more then one rack, use the middle positions first, then top, then the bottom. Apply 4 to 8 hours of smoke. Start with four hours, if the smoke flavor is not strong enough for your taste, apply additional smoke. Keep in mind that the smoke flavor will be a little stronger right out of the smoker, than after they have been "aged" a few days.

• Because the pepper has a strong pungent flavor, I find mesquite works best for pepper, but hickory is also a good choice.

• Do not smoke any other foods when you smoke black pepper. There may be flavor transfer, and/or the other foods will give off too much moisture. If you have more racks to use, this would be a good time to smoke salt.

After smoke has been applied, remove from smoker. Allow to come to room temperature, and allow extra time to dry. Make sure they are dry and, before placing them in an air tight container, and store in a dark area.

To use grind as needed. I keep some in a pepper mill so I can use it at the table, though you may want to purchase a separate peppermill for smoke peppercorns. Use before or after the food has been cooked. My preference is to use it at the table. Smoked ground pepper tastes good on cooked meats, and vegetables. It gives the food a nice subtle hint of smoke.

If you have problems finding Lemon Pepper (not lemon pepper seasoning) in your local stores here is a recipe for lemon pepper.

Smoked Lemon Pepper

2 Tbsp Peppercorns cracked and smoked (see above recipe), or regular cracked peppercorns
3 Tbsp chopped fresh lemon zest (about one large lemon)

Use a micro plane and carefully zest the lemon, avoiding any of the white pith. Roughly chop the zest, but don't mince it.

Mix lemon zest and peppercorn together in a small bowl, and mix well. The ratio of lemon zest to pepper should be about 1.5 to 1; but exact measurements are not necessary. Spread mixture on a small cookie sheet or on heavy duty aluminum foil. Place in a 200°F preheat oven and allow to dry until lemon zest is completely dry.

Remove from oven, and allow to cool. You either grind it all now, or grind it as you need it. Store in an air tight container, and place in a dark area.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

Thanks Habs!

I'm adding this to my "ToDo" list.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HCT

Thanks Habs for a job well done. I appreciate the effort you put into this recipe. I was ordering spices the other night and I saw the smoked peppercorns being offered. I thought the same as you. make them myself. I'm glad you posted this recipe.

With the lemon pepper, is the zest left in the mix after it's ben baked?
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

love the smoke

wondering if a piece of cheesecloth on the smoker rack  would work also ?

LTS
LTS

manxman

Manxman

Smoking Duck

Lot of good work there, Habs!  Thanks for doing all of the ground work and sharing with the rest!

Marc

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Habanero Smoker

Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention that I stir the peppercorns half way through the smoking period, or every 2 hours if you are going beyond 4 hours of smoke.

LTS;

If hot smoking; the cheese cloth will act as a wick and draw off the essential oils that come to the surface of the peppercorns.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smoking Duck

You've got me going now, Habs.  Gonna do a Smoked Lemon Garlic Pepper combo.  That sounds awesome!

Habanero Smoker

The lemon, garlic, pepper combination sounds good. I don't smoke the lemon zest, I like that flavor to stand on it's own. The combination of smoked pepper and lemon is real good.

It's time consuming to make Lemon Pepper, but it is hard to find in my area. I only see the Lemon Pepper Seasoning with a lot of salt, citric acid (not lemon zest) and other ingredients.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smoking Duck

Yea, that's what my lemon garlic consists of.  I'm gonna be home all weekend (building a birthing pen for my dog, Steeler), so I may just have to bring out the dehydrator into the garage and do this while I'm building it.  I see you did yours in the oven.  Do you think I'd have a problem in the dehydrator as the temps in that won't go above 155?

Thanks!

Habanero Smoker

You should be alright. The particular recipe that I am using the directions from says to dry it at 225°F, so that the essential oils in both the zest and peppercorn can blend, while other recipes state to dry the zest and then add it to the peppercorns then grind. Either way the flavors are ground together.

I
         don't
                   inhale.