Texas Razorback

Started by Kane, February 04, 2009, 04:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kane

heys guys,

I havent been on in awhile, hope everyone has been good

I just got a call from a friend of mine and he has a whole hind quarter from a texas razorback for me! Any suggestions on how I should prepare and smoke this thing in my DBS?  Im not sure the weight yet.

Tenpoint5

Home cured Ham would be my suggestion
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smoking Duck

I agree with 10.5.  I'd do a ham.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

westexasmoker

Ham would get my vote also!  Of course with mesquite!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

iceman

Kane

guys like the ham I see. me too!

I just received the package. Its a full Bone-in hind quarter from a 130lb sow and weighs exactly 10lbs

now Ive never done a home cured ham

I found this brine receipe - says it will cure at a rate of 2lbs per day.

2 liters of water
¾ cup of kosher salt
1 cup of brown sugar (1 packed cup)
4 teaspoons of pink salt (insta cure #1) (4 teaspoons)

does this one sound good or should I use something else? what?

once brined and ready for the smoker. what temp, wood type, smoke times, etc...

thanks

deb415611

Kane,

If you double that recipe it is the American Brown Sugar Ham  from Charcuterie.   The recipe (double the ingredients you have listed) is good for a 12 - 14 lb. ham.   I used the brine for a ham I did for New Years and was really happy with it. 

Over on the recipe Habs has a ham recipe that I am sure is awesome.  I'm going to try it next time   http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=465

If you do the brine recipe that you have & it doesn't have detailed instructions you may want to use Hab's recipe as a guide.  You need to inject some of the brine into the ham so that it will get fully cured.   

Someone did a good pictorial around x-mas - it might have been Ten Point 5.  You might want to find that thread.

Deb

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!