Which one to get???

Started by Mr Baloo, February 05, 2009, 02:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Baloo

Hi everyone, I'm Baloo, (the wife and I are Disney fanatics), but, I am new here, just found the place as I was looking for a new smoker.  Having learned much of what I know about smoking on the BBQ Forum, I am not new to smoking, however I do know the knowledge that can be obtained by help from people like those on these boards.  Thanks in advance.

So, here is where I am at, (cant debate that can you..=)    ),  long time smoker on a elec brinkman.  Man that was a good $59.99 spent.  Still works, But time to upgrade.  I was looking at the Members Mark smoker at Sams Club, nice unit, but I thought I would want my temps to get above 275, or at least I wanted that option, and I am not sure it comes with an automatic smoke feeder and for the same price, the bradley will.  The bradley seems like a good smoker, so, that brings on the question....

Which one to get???  Not worried if it is easy...  I dont want to stay up all night....  as a matter of fact, if it would turn itself off after reaching the internal temp  that would be good too...  I mostly do brisket ant butts...  just my favs.... 

Also, what does PID stand for??? 

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Baloo!

I have the Original Bradley Smoker (OBS). I have not had mine much over 250F, I can't see where I would need to.

PID stands for proportional–integral–derivative .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller

My PID measures the tower temp, not the food temp.

The Bradley is a great smoker, especially with the PID ( it takes the guesswork out of setting and maintaining temps), Having said that I turned out some very good eats without a PID.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

Hi Baloo,

The Bradley is as set it and forget it as it comes.  It's a pretty versatile unit in that you can hot and cold smoke with it very easily.  I've never once regretted the purchase of my Bradley (in fact, I have two). 

I believe an original Bradley with a PID is about as easy as smoking food gets.  In fact, I think if you're pretty good with electronics, you could probably set the Bradley up to shut off when the IT of the meat reaches your set point.  I haven't the foggiest idea how to do it, but, I'd be willing to bet it could be done.

Welcome to the forum.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Smokin Soon

Baloo, the Brinkman can go to higher temps, but is quickly lost to outside temps. There is no reason to want a temp over 250, unless you want to crisp the skin on poultry, easily done in your house oven. I gave my Brinkman away after I got my Bradley. Constant low temp and smoke that is controllable is what sold me on the Bradley.  The Brinkman was too picky about chips too small, too wet, too big, ect. I would never go back to that style of smoking. About the PID thing, I just reccomend get your feet wet and see what you want to do with a Bradley.
Welcome to the forum, spend some time here, and the recipe site, get some input from some of our long time mentors and do not hesitate to ask questions.

Mr Baloo

Alright...  doing some shopping as well..  what is the difference between the orig bradley and a PID versus the new digital Bradley???  also, 4 or 6 shelves...   Heck, why dont you guys drive down here to New Orleans, deliver the smoker, show me how to use it, which will prob take what, 5 mins, then we can kick back, drink some beer and wait for the Que....  =)  Just kidding, well, not really....

in summary origial bradley with PID or new digital bradley with 4 or do I need 6 shelves??? 

thanks guys...

Mr Baloo

well, I answered my question about digital or PID, PID is the way to go, so now do I need the 6 tray or is the 4 big enough for family use....  never smoked more the 1 butt at a time in my old brinkman...  hope to do more briskets on the new one though......

Gizmo

Quote from: Mr Baloo on February 05, 2009, 09:18:37 PM
 Heck, why dont you guys drive down here to New Orleans, deliver the smoker, show me how to use it, which will prob take what, 5 mins, then we can kick back, drink some beer and wait for the Que....  =)  Just kidding, well, not really....

Hmmm, I am about due for a trip to Nola, Oh, but wait, the LSU Alumni boil is just 3 months away.   ;)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Mr Baloo on February 05, 2009, 09:48:35 PM
well, I answered my question about digital or PID, PID is the way to go, so now do I need the 6 tray or is the 4 big enough for family use....  never smoked more the 1 butt at a time in my old brinkman...  hope to do more briskets on the new one though......

If memory serves, the 6 rack is only available in the digital model.  I guess it depends on how much you want to do at one time.  I've found the 4 rack to be plenty but if you have really large gatherings, maybe the 6 rack.  Perhaps someone with the 6 rack can chime in on this.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

KyNola

Mr. Baloo,
Welcome to the forum.  Let me be the first to tell you I would be more than happy to drive to NOLA and show you how to operate a Bradley.  I'm 9 hours away and make that trip frequently but not frequently enough to suit my wife and me. :)

You will definitely enjoy using whichever Bradley you choose and we are all here to assist in any manner.

KyNola

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  I mostly do brisket and butt as well.  I have the OBS in stainless with a PID.  Works like a charm.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Caneyscud

Welcome Mr. Baloo - If you've been lurking, you've certainly found out that this is a might fine place to learn to smoke.  If you haven't been lurking you have probably found that out by now.  Wade in and have fun!

For precise control needed on certain smokes - an OBS (or DBS) with PID is ideal.  For butts and briskets that level of control is not really needed - they are forgiving of cooking temp.  I have a 4 rack DBS and have done quite well with it. 

The 4 rack has done quite well for my family.  I can cook enough on it at a time that we can eat 2 weeks off of it - just my wife, my adult daughter, and myself.   You can do 4 briskets or several butts, or several roasts, or several meatloafs, or dozens of yardbird thighs, or - you get the picture!  My first smoke was a brisket, 2 small butts, 2 fatties and about a dozen brats.  I guess if you did a lot of sausage, or jerky (although some buy extra racks and stack them with the jerky) or something like that the 6 rack may be more desirable.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

MallardWacker

MB;

Just my .0235 cents worth here.  I think you would happy be with the OSB.  There is a learning curve to get to the "set it and forget stage".  Once you lean the little nuances...you will be fine.  And the best place for that is here.  Over the Brinkman we affectionately termed the "Condom Cooker" you will find with the Bradley great consistency in flavor (specifically smoke flavor), cooking time and end product results.  The smoker generator puts it in a league by itself....Also to me also the smaller one is just fine.

Keep us informed and WELCOME to the clan.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

thegozzzz

I have the members mark professional, it takes wood chips and you have to refuel every 15 min. real pain! Plus, there is no way to regulate the heat, when the chips burn out the temp goes up, when you add chips the temp goes up.

I've finally gotten to where I only use my OBS and my 6 rack DBS, they are so much easier.