glaze

Started by Swedesmoker, February 12, 2009, 06:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swedesmoker

Hi you fishermen, an women :)

One thing i have come to encounter with getting closer and closer with the american/canadian style of cooking is the glaze. We have a few of your barbaque shows on tv here but we really dont care much. It gets to "NASA" for us ( absolutley no offence, tv is tv). But...me and my but:s.

As for smoking for example salmon, i have never in my life heard about this thats why I am asking. The best thing i know is what you guys call Gravlox. gravad lättrökt lax in swedish, i have no idea for the fresh salmon in brine redy to serve is called (couldn´t even translate through coogle). However  as i said much differs as it should of course. Why I am asking is to be able to get my custumers the best produkt i can. Who am I to say my recipy is the best :)

For gravlox example, my family use a very simular recipy as bradley with a few a twist, but glazed fish have never been avaliable here. Is it for looks or taste or what. I would really want to know as they look good but we are very scepetical *laugh*

Sweden signing out....
You can eat everything......atleast once :)

If you know how to make it...then make it with beef :)

Gizmo

Taste mostly but nothing wrong with looks.  You eat with your eyes first as they say.
I would suggest trying any and all variations especially those on Old's recipe site.  If you are looking to please your customers, having a variety will make you a better resource for your customers.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Swede,
Welcome to the forum.  I think it is great to have members from all over the world.  Your question puzzles me a bit.  The gravlox I do has no glaze at all.  Don't confuse gravlax with hot smoked salmon that has been brined first.  In the U.S. gravlax is a salt cured salmon and then we cold smoke it, meaning no heat source on the salmon.  It can be flavored during the salt cure with something like vodka, cognac or aquavit.

A glazed smoked salmon is typically hot smoked.  The glaze may come from the brine process that our friend Kummok has mastered.  Might I suggest you seek out his recipe on this forum.  It is hands down the absolute best hot smoked salmon.  As Gizmo mentioned, lots of variations on the recipe site, both hot smoked and gravlax.

All the best to you!

KyNola

Consiglieri

Quote from: KyNola on February 12, 2009, 08:46:40 PM
Swede,
Welcome to the forum.  I think it is great to have members from all over the world.  Your question puzzles me a bit.  The gravlox I do has no glaze at all.  Don't confuse gravlax with hot smoked salmon that has been brined first.  In the U.S. gravlax is a salt cured salmon and then we cold smoke it, meaning no heat source on the salmon.  It can be flavored during the salt cure with something like vodka, cognac or aquavit.

A glazed smoked salmon is typically hot smoked.  The glaze may come from the brine process that our friend Kummok has mastered.  Might I suggest you seek out his recipe on this forum.  It is hands down the absolute best hot smoked salmon.  As Gizmo mentioned, lots of variations on the recipe site, both hot smoked and gravlax.

All the best to you!

KyNola

We have a large Swede community here and most would agree with KyNola, except that most here think that "Gravlox" are unsmoked.  Personally, I think smoke adds quite a bit, but don't know if there's a distinction between gravlox and "smoked" gravlox from the cultural perspective. 
Consiglieri

Swedesmoker

Hi

No I didnt mean to add glaze to the gravlox I just mentioned that becouse plain smoked fish aint that popular around here. Perhaps becouse we just aint no good in maiking it :)

The pictures of the smoked salmon with glaze i have seen looks fantastic but as I said I have never came across it before and thats why I asked. Learing is a life long process and there is so much knowlage in this forum.

For the gravlox I has talking about I didnt know the right words for it but I do a light smoke on it afterwards with only flingsalt and dill rubbed in and that my friends are quite tasty.

Thanx for your answers everyone you are a big help.

pensrock

Try Kummoks hot smoked salmon. Serve it chilled or room temperature. Its the best.

Swedesmoker

I certainly will :)

Mr Walleye

I'll second Kummok's Salmon!

It really is fantastic SwedeSmoker!  ;)

Here is a link when I did it for the first time....

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8574.0

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Swedesmoker

Hi mike

Just read through the link you posted and it looks really nice and tasty. This will have to be the next project indeed. Everyone here is so nice and helpfull. Best forum I ever been to.

And perhaps I can convince the ppl here that the alaskan way to smoke salmon is the right one :)

Thanx again everyone.

Kummok

Hi Swede and welcome to the forum!

Looking forward to hearing how your smoking project turns out but, with all due respect, I'll warn you that there isn't really "the right one" when it comes to smoking salmon. While I sincerely appreciate all the kind comments from the great smokers and smokers-in-training about the recipe I've shared, I offered it as a "beginning" place to start smoking salmon, ( albeit with results that will be predictably acceptable to the taste buds.)

Using my own fire department operations lingo, my recipe is intended as a solid "staging area" for "expanded operations".  So go forth, smoke, experiment, and smoke some more, until you get "the right one" for you (and your "ppl"  ;) ). BTW, if you're not already using one, I highly suggest using a 'Smoker's Log' like the one Duckman posted about a while back (see:  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=9004.0   A GREAT log Duckman...thanX again!! ) so you can build a successful recipe for your own taste.... Smoke on and let us know how it comes out in the land of gravad lättrökt lax !