Pulled Pork for 100 people.

Started by car54, February 11, 2009, 02:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

In a week I have to make pulled pork for 100 people. If I start with 50 lbs and with 1/2 of it as waste that leaves me with 25 lbs. of pork. At a 1/4 lbs per sandwich that will give me 100 sandwiches.

Does anyone have any comments?

Thanks, Brad

Smokin Soon

I did it once, but not too sure if I would do it again. Had 2 full cabinet loads of 4 each 6-7 lb butts. 4 hours of hickory, transfer into oven and reload. Seemed like oven was on for 3 days. After the ftc and pulling
everything went into vac seal bags with just a light sauce for moisture. Had enough to fill 3 of those big oval crock-pots, sauce and slaw on the side. It came off quite well and everyone was happy, but that
much food, based on a timetable, too much stress. This is supposed to be fun and relaxing!

FLBentRider

I had figured about that for a church gathering when they ask...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

IKnowWood

I do from 20 to 30 lbs each year around christmass.  I do it over a week period.  I get two cryovac packs (4 butts, one rack each butt) de-bone and season one night, then mid day next day in the smoker.  Smoke for up to 28 hours depending on size and FTC for a while then cool.  Then a day after cool, I shred and vac seal till party.

For 100 lbs, I would estimate in an OBS three smokes.  Its doable with time.  I'd get started if I was you.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

IKnowWood

Sorry I mis-red 100 lbs.  but 50lbs thats between 6 to 8 butts.  in OBS that's 2 smokes.  Much better.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Consiglieri

No comment from me except, when is the party and what can I bring?
Consiglieri

Gizmo

If doing that much, I would be tempted to set the oven temp at 250 which will reduce the time and keep you out of the 3 day experience Smokin Soon experienced.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

CB

OK - this is totally for the purpose of providing some help and not a representation of how things should be done when dealing with true smoking...I only wanted to share this post I did on Sizzle on the Grill to provide some fodder for howling thoughtful words of encouragement and to be helpful in response to this post only. No offense intended to the true art of smoking nor to the good products that sponsor this forum.  Just a post and some ideas for inspiration...uh, did I say that enough times?

Pulled Pork
Uh - For how many did you say? 300!
Happy Grilling!

Habanero Smoker

The waste after removing the bone will be closer to 40% on average. I usually loose 35% to 45%, after it has been smoke/cooked, but it is generally closer to 40%. I would utilize both the Bradley and you kitchen oven. Depending on the size of the butts, you may be able to place four in your smoker at one time. After the smoke has been applied, I would place two of them in the oven, that should quicken the time it takes for the ones in the Bradley to cook.

When I make large batches, I always smoke/cook and pull a couple of days ahead of time. That allows the smoke and other flavorings from the bark to distribute equally.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I was going to smoke-pull-vacseal-freeze on consecutive weekends.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

I would err on the high side.  Better to have too much (you can always freeze it for personal consumption) than not enough.  Also, not sure if they can come back for more or not.  If so, you can rest assured it'll probably be at least 1/2 lb for some folks.  I would do a minimum of 125 pounds to start if it were me.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

deb415611

I agree with Duck.  I bring pulled pork to the office every once in awhile and some of the guys are good for two good size sandwiches - probably 1/3 lb each.   Others eat smaller but I bet the smaller ones are 1/4 lb.     

car54

I am going to Sam's club after work and buying a case of butts. They give a case discount. I will season them tonight and after work on Friday I will start the smoking. A combination of the Bradley smoker and the stove is the only way to go.

The reason for this event is my Father-in-law's death. It's not morbid, why shouldn't it be a good time.

I'll give all the details whenit is done.

Brad

Tenpoint5

I agree Brad its not morning a death but celebrating a life. A small matter of perspective.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

Agree with Habs and Duck.  70# to 100# to start out - should yield about 40# to 60#.  Depending on how much else there is to eat and who is there - more big men and teenage boys then the higher amount or more.  All teeny women - well.  None will go to waste as it has already been mentioned - there is always the freezer for the leftovers.  When I have this much I go to my stickburners.  With the Bradley I'd go into my cheating mode.  Cook it all in the oven (at night) at 300, wrapped and preferably in disposable aluminum pans until done just before pulling temp.  Finish off in the Bradley uncovered for 2 or 3 hours.   Usually rub before the oven and then make sure I at least have some salt on it before going in the Bradley.  No smoke ring but if the surface is dry enough going into the Bradley, picks up enough smoke and makes an acceptable bark.  FTC or just stick in warm oven (covered/wrapped) for an hour or two and it should fall apart.

Shakepeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"