Venison Jerky

Started by NePaSmoKer, February 12, 2009, 08:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

I finally got around to cutting up some of the venison. Using my own wet marinade in the reveo. The wind is blowing about 40-60mph this morning so smoking is out. So in my dehydrator it goes.. 5lbs gave me 6 racks.

nepas

pensrock

Yea we had that wind all last night and all day today, top gust measured at the airport was 66mph. Its cooling off now and the wind is supposed to die down tonight.

I normally use a wet marinade also when using cut venison/beef. So since you did not smoke it did you add ant liquid smoke?

NePaSmoKer

I thought the venison jerky was going to go to the trash. A pine tree pulled the wires down right across my dirt road around 1pm today. I called my neighbor and asked to borrow the generator for the dehydrator. I saved it all. And the power is back on at 6:50pm  ;D

nepas

Mr Walleye

Now that is determination NePas!

Nice job!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

pensrock

Of course the neighbor got a few samples when the generator was returned?  :)

Wattles

nice save!  lookin good nepas.

wicked weather here today eh?
like you, i lost power at my office and home today for a bit...

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Wattles on February 12, 2009, 05:52:41 PM
nice save!  lookin good nepas.

wicked weather here today eh?
like you, i lost power at my office and home today for a bit...

Yeah the wind is nasty, not only did we loose power but i have siding damage to my house, tree limbs all over the place. Its supposed to be calming down today sometime i guess. The dehydrator took a little longer cuz i had to run an extension cord to it, but its all good now  ;D

nepas

Wattles

hope all is well with your home!
fortunately i got away with no damage

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Wattles on February 14, 2009, 07:13:34 PM
hope all is well with your home!
fortunately i got away with no damage

Yeah good here, not allot of siding damage. My neighbor can fix it for some jerky  ;D

I have 100lbs of venison in the freezer yet. Maybe wait until spring to jerky it up.

nepas

josbocc

NePas,

You mention a wet marinade using the Reveo.  Is this a marinating aid that I may have just obtained with my new FoodSaver?  They sent me a rectangular dish that is supposedly used for "quick marinating."

In the past three years I've done exclusively ground meat jerky, but I do occasionally miss that "tear it apart with all that you've got" jerky that comes from whole muscle meat.  If your method cuts down on marinating time, then I might be able to do up a quick batch of old-time jerky.

Thanks for any input,

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!