Twice Smoked Fish?

Started by CheapThrills, January 22, 2004, 10:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CheapThrills

I cold smoked atlantic salmon fillets and they is way to oily!! I cold smoked for 18 hours. Is it possible to hot smoke it for a couple of hours? I think that is the only way I am going to get some of the oil out of it. If anyone has some ideas I would appreciate it. What temperature should I hot smoke and for how long?[:(]

Regforte

Yes, you can double smoke just about anything. Cold smoke it, then hot smoke it as you normally would, using the normal hot smoke method for that item. Today I'm double smoking some bacon, for instance.

Obviously you should only double smoke something if you want a lot of smoke flavor [:)]

As to time and temps, my last batch of atlantic salmon took an hour and fifteen minutes at 180 F to get to an internal temperature of 140 F. YMMV.

As to what made your salmon oily, maybe your cold smoke oven temp was too high. What was it? If your temp was above around 80 F, and you smoked it for so many hours, that may explain why it came out oily.

bighoof

I've heard atlantic salmon is terrible to smoke, it makes a mess of the smoker(hot smoked) and does other funky stuff.