Bacon Cure question

Started by okeejohn, April 02, 2009, 08:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

okeejohn

I was going over some recipes on the forum about curing and smoking bacon. I have not done it before and have a few questions. ??? First of all, what is insta cure #1 and prague powder #1?? I saw this mentioned in the Maple Bacon Pictorial, which was very informative. Can you buy this in a store? Also, I purchased Maple Cure from Bradley; can I use this and how would I use it? In place of the cure mentioned in the Maple Bacon Pictorial. I appreciate all the help you can give me. I am looking foward to making bacon. I am going to purchase pork belly. By the way, should I have the butcher take off the skin before or should I do it after the smoke..is there a difference of when to do it?

Okeejohn

Mr Walleye

John

Cure #1 comes in many brand names such as the two your listed, Prague and Insta-Cure. They contain Sodium Nitrite which is what does the curing. Cure #1 is typically used at a rate of 1/4 tsp per lb or 1 tsp per 5 lbs.

I haven't ever used the Bradley cures and I assume they contain Sodium Nitrite. I can't comment on the quantity to use but I'm assuming it would be on the packaging. Here is a link to one of their recipes using the Maple Cure for bacon.

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/maple-cure-recipes.asp#1

Hopefully someone with some experience using the Bradley Cures will comment.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

I've never used Bradley cures either. As far as cure #1, you generally have to get through the internet or  mail order, unless you have a place near by that may make their own bacon or smoke sausage, then you may be able to talk them into selling you some.

As for the skin, you can smoke it with it on then peel it off after its finished. Let it cool down a little, and then it should peel right off with no difficulty. You may have to use a knife in a few spots.

I smoked bellies both skin on and with the skin off, and I prefer to smoke and cure them with the skin off. It's a pain in the neck to skin them, so if your butcher is willing to do it, I would say let him skin them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DTJ

I have to agree with Habs...Let the butcher do it .  I just  skinned a 12 lb belly last night.  It is a pain in the butt.  Good luck

Daryl

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: DTJ on April 02, 2009, 07:02:15 PM
I have to agree with Habs...Let the butcher do it .  I just  skinned a 12 lb belly last night.  It is a pain in the butt.  Good luck

Daryl

Daryl;

You got that right. What makes it a little easier is a tip that Manxman provided. I got a 6 inch curved wide blade skinning knife, and that works much better then your usual kitchen knives.

I purchase this one (but I didn't get if from this site)
Skinning Knife

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: okeejohn on April 02, 2009, 08:03:54 AM
I was going over some recipes on the forum about curing and smoking bacon. I have not done it before and have a few questions. ??? First of all, what is insta cure #1 and prague powder #1?? I saw this mentioned in the Maple Bacon Pictorial, which was very informative. Can you buy this in a store? Also, I purchased Maple Cure from Bradley; can I use this and how would I use it? In place of the cure mentioned in the Maple Bacon Pictorial. I appreciate all the help you can give me. I am looking foward to making bacon. I am going to purchase pork belly. By the way, should I have the butcher take off the skin before or should I do it after the smoke..is there a difference of when to do it?
Okeejohn

I have to agree with the others if your butcher will do it let him have the headache. Besides I like the skin off purely for aesthetics, I like that tan smoke coloring to go all the way around the slice of bacon. 
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

DTJ

Habs

Thanks for the tip.  I have never seen a knife like that before.  I will definitely put that on the top of the wish list

Daryl