Cold Smoke Pork Tenderloin and BB Bacon

Started by TDUKE, February 14, 2009, 11:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TDUKE

Has anyone cold smoked pork tenderloins or have any advice on smoking them?? They run about 1# each, they are not the pork loins. Also wondering about cold smoking bb bacon at the same time. Weather here looks to be about 40 for a high tomorrow.

Thanks

seemore

Hi TDuke and Welcome!!
I have never cold-smoked tenderloins before.  I have cured them and then smoked them, but I have always used heat.  They have always turned out great.
Seemore

Habanero Smoker

TDuke;
Welcome to the forum.

Because cold smoke can be interpreted in several way, can you further explain what you want to do.

For the tenderloins; is it that you want to apply some smoke as a flavoring, then finish off at a higher temperature? Or are you planning to dry cure the tenderloin; which will require curing?

In general when cold smoking I keep the cabinet under 90°F; 80°F is better. How long I keep it in the smoker depends on what my final goal is, and I always use the Cold Smoke Setup

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TDUKE

I was planning to cold smoke to add flavor and finish off on the grill. Was also going to smoke some cheese at the same time and figured I could do two things at once.

TDuke

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: TDUKE on February 15, 2009, 07:15:08 AM
I was planning to cold smoke to add flavor and finish off on the grill. Was also going to smoke some cheese at the same time and figured I could do two things at once.

TDuke

You could cold smoke them both at the same time, just place the tenderloin on the bottom self to avoid cross contamination. I would apply 40 - 80 minutes of smoke on the tenderloin, and leave the cheese in for 2 to 5 hours. I generally apply 2-3 hours of smoke on the cheese. After it has been smoked the cheese needs to be wrapped or vacuum sealed and aged in the refrigerator for at least a week before eating, or it will taste like an ash tray. When smoking both at the same time, I would choose maple or apple.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)