Eye Of The Round

Started by owrstrich, January 15, 2005, 04:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owrstrich

i have been making jerky in a dehydrator for years... started with bottom round... then a butcher suggested using the eye... i tried it and have used the eye for a couple years now...

i make about 20lbs of jerky (pre-cook weight) every few weeks... the eye is killer for jerkey...

anyway... i was wondering how an eye would do in the bs...

any ideas...

more later...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

the eye is also used for making pastrami the deli type, i use london broil for my jerky, its just a name not a cut of beef, it comes from
Top Round Roast (or Top Round Steak the store here sells it on sale for 1.99 a pound, evrey 2 weeks it goes on sale. the eye might make a good bs item i think i would do it then let it cool and use it for roast beef sandwhiches. try it and let us know.

MAKE SURE TO SIGN UP FOR THE FREE GIVEAWAY!! GO HERE.http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=991

Chez Bubba

The Bradley unit is a great smoker but not the world's most efficient dehydrator. Yes, you can do it, but it's gonna take time.

Best suggestions I've read are cold smoke it for a few hours, then throw it in the dehydrator. Nice smoke flavor & it doesn't take days.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

owrstrich

thanks folks... i didnt say what i meant... i dont use the bs for jerky... i was wondering if what you folks thought about smoking the eye for slicing...

yo stupido

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

tsquared

owstrich-do you have a favourite recipe to treat your meat for jerky? I'd like to try and make some.
Tom

oguard

Owrstich
I use my bs for making jerky and it works great.
I use baron of beef sliced 1/8 of an inch thick,marinated in a simple teriyaki mixture.2 hrs worth of smoke and the rest drying time about 6-8 hrs.[:p]
Keep on smokin[:D][8D]
Mike
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Ian

tsuared/Tom: try kevin,s site their' about a dozen that might intrest you.[8D] http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ktaylor11/index.htm

Ian{GO STEELERS!!!!}

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oguard</i>
<br />Owrstich
I use baron of beef sliced 1/8 of an inch thick,marinated in a simple teriyaki mixture.2 hrs worth of smoke and the rest drying time about 6-8 hrs.[:p]
Mike
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
What's "baron of beef"?  We're trying to make a post with all of the "regional equivalents" listed[:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

tsquared

Thanks to both Ian and Owstrich for their help. I am going to try making some jerky sometime in the next few weeks. I think I will try your recipe for starters Owstrich and use Chez's idea of giving it a couple of hours smoke then into my American harvest dehyrdrator. It struck me that using the dehydrator for kummok's salmon strips to dry them to the right texture before smoking might work to reduce the drying time. I am going to try that too since the xmas season made serious inroads to my smoked salmon stocks. I'll keep you posted as to how it works.
Tom

Cutterone

I always use eye of round for my jerky, but bottom (outside) round, or top (inside) round works great to. At work we have a marinating system, so some times I marinate it in Teryaki flavor, and other times I have used High Country flavourings. I usually get the smoker up to 150 degrees and if I start smoking at 10 in the morning I can usually start taking off some of the thinner pieces at 2:00 and everything is off by 5:00. I run about 4 or 5 pucks of either special blend or hickory and then the Bubba Pucks and then just "leave the meat in the heat". If you want the jerky a little chewyer, then cut it cross grain, so that the grain of the meat is long and stringy, in stead of with the grain, like you would if you were carving a cooked roast.

From a tiny spark bursts a mighty flame, but from a cloud of grey, emerges a great taste.

CLAREGO

hi mountain makes great seaons for jerky but i tried ground jerky yesterday with the bs and it didnt turn out like the sliced meat

so as far as my experiances with bs for jerky its does fairly well with the high mountain cure it takes 2-3 hours with 3 pounds of meat

jaeger

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oguard</i>
<br />Owrstich
Mike
What's "baron of beef"?  We're trying to make a post with all of the "regional equivalents" listed[:)]

John
Newton MA

John,
Here is what I found in regard to baron of beef.

http://www.ochef.com/562.htm

Doug

nsxbill

Owstrich

When you are doing your jerkey, is one "big spoon"  a tablespoon?  Don't think I would want to use a ladle or a big plastic serving spoon not knowing the size to use.  I want to try some jerkey and hope you can let me know.  Do you slice up the meat with the grain to have the long fibers?  You can probably tell I haven't done this before.

Where do most folks get their cure from?

What is a soaker?

I have an Excalibur dehydrator, but will probably smoke a bit in the BS then toss into the dehydrator.  Would you think it would still need the liquid smoke if I smoked in the BS for a couple of hours?

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

whitetailfan

owrstrich,
I never really get to try experiments with any part of the round.  Reason being is I keep the entire round together for marinading and grilling.  Absolutely one of my favorite meals.  Marinade overnight in a cheapo marinade and when that bad boy hits the grill, it nearly covers every square inch![:p]

Now...that said...when I was in univ, I would go out and buy eye of round with a few others on a Friday and we would pick up some texas toast or garlic bread, and we would make our own cheap restaurant style steak sandwiches.  Now, if you were to try a low and slow on a steak, that's what I'd try to do again.  If you get a bunch of negative feedback about actually cooking the steak in the BS, then I'd cold smoke it for flavour, and then grill it up for an extra tasty steak sand.

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />Where do most folks get their High Mountain cure from?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I have several local stores that retail it.  All of them sporting good stores or hardware stores, I have not found a meat shop that carries them here in Southern Alberta.

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.