Eye Of The Round

Started by owrstrich, January 15, 2005, 04:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsxbill

For those of us who are jerkey rookies....not to be confused with "jerks," I went online and ordered a couple of the sample packets of jerkey kits and about 4 of the sausage maker kits to try.  If you have never gone here before, take a peek.  As I always do, I asked the people I order from if that have ever considered offering a discount code for smoker forum members to troll for new customers.  Ordered a catalog, and venturing out into the world of jerkey and sausage making.

Here is a link for High Mountain:  http://www.himtnjerky.com

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

jaeger

Bill,
       I think you will be happy with the high mountain seasonings. When I make beef jerky I usually pick up a bottom round roast(s).I would suggest 3 pounds for your first batch so you won't have to double up your racks. Trim off the fat and I would suggest slicing about 3/16th inch across the grain. It is easier to eat. Your seasoning instructions will probably say to cut with the grain.
   After seasoning and curing for 24 hours, lay out meat on racks with a little space between each piece so smoke and heat has room to circulate.
       When you are smoking jerky, you want to have the damper open to let out the moisture. The problem is you lose the smoke faster. I usually pretty much let it smoke the entire time.(About 3 hours)
 I rotate the racks at 1 hour and there after as needed. I start pulling  pieces off the rack as they look done. The pieces that are near the heating element will finish first. They will start to look a nice red cure color. You may need to rotate other pieces closer to the element to finish. Don't worry about opening the door to often as you will let humidity out, helping to dry the meat.
   By the time I start rotating racks I have the temperature cranked up to high. (One Note: You may want to wipe off the bottom of the damper before you start as you will probably be adjusting it as needed during your cook/smoke).
   Do lots of taste test as you are cooking and remember that after it is cooled it will be more dry and "tough" than when it is hot.
        (#2 Note: If you use a meat slicer, you may have a piece left that is bigger than the slices. Just cut this piece into strips and cure and smoke.)

Let us know how it turns out!   [:)][:D][:p]

Doug

P.S.  Get rid of that liquid smoke[xx(]

jaeger

Bill,
  Let me know when you are ready to put your new stuffer through it's Maiden Voyage. I would be more than happy to give you a couple of tips!   [;)][:D][:)]

Doug

psdubl07

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cutterone</i>
<br />If you want the jerky a little chewyer, then cut it cross grain, so that the grain of the meat is long and stringy, in stead of with the grain, like you would if you were carving a cooked roast.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Normally when you cut against the grain, the meat is more tender, but when you cut with the grain, it's stringy and chewy. (Think Flank Steak).

CLAREGO

i agree with nsxbill high mountain works great with sliced meat but when using ground meat i think its a negative.

CLAREGO

Cold Smoke

I've bought many different jerky spice kits and sausage making kits from HiMountain- all top notch to date. Good luck NSX.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">As I always do, I asked the people I order from if that have ever considered offering a discount code for smoker forum members to troll for new customers.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

BTW- Thanks for looking out for those deals for us.[;)]

Cold Smoke

Cold Smoke

Has anyone used those jerky rods to hang their beef jerky from?

I found a picture
http://www.barbecuewood.com/stores/barbecuewood/catalog/jerky_on_rods.jpg

Was wondering if anyone has made their own and what material would work to make these from? I sometimes get moisture pool on top of the meat as it sits flat on the racks and takes that much longer to dry out.

Cold Smoke

jaeger

Cold Smoke,

I have always just used the racks. I probably cook the jerky more than just dry it. As the pieces look done I pull them off and if needed I just flip them over at the same time. I don't constantly open the door and rotate, but when I make jerky I definetly do rotate and move things around.

Doug

Cutterone

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by psdubl07</i>
<br />
Quote<i>Originally posted by Cutterone</i>
<br />If you want the jerky a little chewyer, then cut it cross grain, so that the grain of the meat is long and stringy, in stead of with the grain, like you would if you were carving a cooked roast.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Normally when you cut against the grain, the meat is more tender, but when you cut with the grain, it's stringy and chewy. (Think Flank Steak).

When you cut the meat "cross grain" it means that the meat was cut so that the grain of the meat "crosses" or goes side to side instead of up and down. Basically we said the same thing, just different wording.

From a tiny spark bursts a mighty flame, but from a cloud of grey, emerges a great taste.

humpa

I think I see a jerky adventure on the horizon. MMMMMM!!!!!

Ernie....Weymouth, MA