Beef Sticks

Started by jaeger, January 16, 2005, 06:40:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaeger

<font face="Verdana"><font size="6"><font color="blue"><b>Hey</b></font id="blue"></font id="size6"></font id="Verdana">

<font face="Andale Mono"><font size="4"><font color="purple"><b>I just made senior member!!!</b></font id="purple"></font id="size4"></font id="Andale Mono">

<font size="6">[:D][:D][:D]</font id="size6">

jaeger

Olds,
Those pictures look GREAT on your site. They really give me a sense of pride. Thanks!!!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">jaeger this is what I did with your pictures and information. The only thing lacking is I need to know at what temp you smoked them.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I smoked them at 150 - 160 the first 2 hours. Started the smoke about half an hour after the start. Had trouble with the probe so I cranked it all the way after that as I had to open the door twice to temp out with a dial pocket thermometer.

Doug

Oldman

So what would have been the setting if you had not had to open the door? Would it have stayed 150 - 160?

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

jaeger

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> So what would have been the setting if you had not had to open the door? Would it have stayed 150 - 160?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I increased the temp to 180 degrees to finish the product.  

Doug

jaeger

Here is a link for mahoganey casings. The price looks good. Don't know the cost on shipping.

http://www.butcher-packer.com/pg_sausage_collagen_edible.htm

Doug

Cold Smoke

Thanks Jaeger for the detailed info!

One last question...
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It is the smallest one that I have and the casing would not slide on like it suppose to.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The stuffer pushed the meat through very easily...no problem.
Did you just slide the casing end onto the plastic stuffing tube and push the meat along into the casing until the meat reached the other end of the casing length that you had cut them (20 inches)?

Thanks again!

Cold Smoke

jaeger

Cold Smoke,

The collagen casings are kind of "compressed" into one strand. The length is short enough to fit on a proper diameter horn. If you were to take one end of the casing and pull it out (uncompress it), the length would be like 20 <u>feet</u> long. I pulled out 20 inches at a time and cut them, making approx. 19 sections approx. 20 inches long each. At this point I was now able to slide the 20 inch section completly onto the horn. Now all I had to do was stuff it out like you would with any other type of casing. Actually at the half way point of each section, I kind of pinched the casing so that it would wrap over the fat dowel rod that I was using for a smoke stick. If I would not have done this they would not have folded over the stick and hung down.

Take a look at this picture:

On the bottom left is the strand of collagen casing. The strands that I pulled off are at the top of the picture. By pulling sections off the strand, they were able to slide over the horn. All I had to do was stuff one section - set it aside - stuff another section etc. After I stuffed all the meat I just put half (9) strands on one dowel and the other 9 on the other dowel, spead them apart so they would not touch each other or the walls of the smoker and loaded into the smoker.(towards the front away from most direct heat)
 I hope this answers your question. If I am misunderstanding the ? just let me know.
You really should try this. It is easy to make and the end result is very tastie!!! If you make 7 pounds of beef sticks you will be munching on them for a long time. (Plus you get bragging rights every time you give someone a sample!)[;)]

Doug

jaeger

Cold Smoke,
I found a couple of more pictures. Picture titled Plan A is with the collagen casing on the Grinder.
Picture titled Plan B is with a section of casing on the Stuffer that I used.

Check it out!

Plan A:

Plan B:

Cold Smoke

Again Jaeger- thanks for clarifying this again for me. I do have these collagen casings (came with a kit) however the size they sent me will not fit even the smallest stuffing horn I have for my stuffer. I guess the simplest thing for me is to order slightly larger collagen casings that will fit.

Great pix!

Owe ya one!

Cold Smoke

Cold Smoke

I finally made some of these beef sticks using a "HOT snack stick mix" bought from " --bela's"- that claims to have enough spice to make 30 lbs of meat. Phooey....[xx(][V][:(][xx(] These spices are as plain as smelling the Pope's shorts. [V] I have to admit I did NOT smoke these sticks in the BS as the wind was blowing here in sunny Manitoba and I did not have the time to wait it out nor did I have the luxury of staying up all night babysitting these things. Nor do I think that that would have made a big difference in the overall result. If I had the time I would call that outfit for a rebate... At least Fido will have a good feast.

Holy water has more zing......

My 0.02C

Cold Smoke

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cold Smoke</i>
<br />I finally made some of these beef sticks using a "HOT snack stick mix" bought from " --bela's"- that claims to have enough spice to make 30 lbs of meat. Phooey....[xx(][V][:(][xx(] These spices are as plain as smelling the Pope's shorts. [V] I have to admit I did NOT smoke these sticks in the BS as the wind was blowing here in sunny Manitoba and I did not have the time to wait it out nor did I have the luxury of staying up all night babysitting these things. Nor do I think that that would have made a big difference in the overall result. If I had the time I would call that outfit for a rebate... At least Fido will have a good feast.

Holy water has more zing......

My 0.02C

Cold Smoke
Hi Cold Smoke,

I've been doing business with Cabela's for decades . . . they used to be Herter's when I first ordered from them!  My experience is that they are fine for what they started out doing:  fishing, hunting, camping, boating.  And I have to say that I've always had excellent experieces with their Customer Service.  But as they've expanded their repertoire of items, the quality of the new stuff--like BBQ and smoking items--just doesn't match up to their bread and butter stuff.  I wish they had just stuck to what they were good at.  Cabela's selling smokin' stuff is kinda like Dunkin Donuts doing lattes . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

jaeger

Cold Smoke,
I hope you didn't make the full 30 pounds. I have not tried Cabellyucks seasonings and will not after your review. Here is a link to something else that I have tried for a ground type jerky seasoning that was very good and would word just as well stuffed like a beef stick. (I used the original)

http://www.eastmanoutdoors.com/flavors_jerky_seasonings.shtml

I think this item is available at amazon.com

I encourage you to try this smoke again as the pay off is well worth the effort. My daughter will testify to that![:)][:D][:p]

But........you gotta smokem!!!!

Doug

Cold Smoke

Thanks for that Eastman Outdoors link- I've seen these at a a local store and will definately pick some up. I won't give up the hunt for the perfect snack- and I will make sure that they get a good dose of smoke. Went and got me some wooden dowels that I'll cutomize for the BS and hang them from.

PS- I only did a 5 lb batch- a test batch- Yeah, it's a darn good thing it wasn't the full 30 lbs. I'd still be cranking that stuffer... 5 lbs makes about 20-25 feet of those sticks (estimate).

Cold Smoke

BigSmoker

I've use the Hi-Mtn bologna stuff.  They also have jerky and sausage cures and stuff like that.
//www.himtnjerky.com

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Cold Smoke

I've used many of the Hi Mountain products and to date they've all been top-drawer!

Thanks Big Smoker!

Cold Smoke