Tasty morsels?

Started by manxman, January 16, 2005, 07:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

Came across a commercial UK smokehouse internet site that advertises several items that I have not seen mentioned on the forum that I may have a try at.

Eggs...... they specifically mentioned quail eggs but perhaps it could be appled to other eggs, they put them in boiling water for 4 - 5 minutes (i.e hardboil), let them cool then take the shell off and oak smoke them. (coldsmoke but for how long?)

Oaksmoke garlic cloves ..... whole cold smoked cloves but no other info. given.

Blue cheese ..... I have smoked mature cheddar successfully but presumambly smoking a softer cheese is more difficult?

Butter..... this seemed an odd one but they said it was wonderful (they would I suppose!) in various recipes and on a steak, potatoes etc etc. Obviously cold smoked, perhaps the Grakka coldsmoke method using a tumble dryer hose would be essential to do this one. And a cold day!

Anyone got any ideas or thoughts, would appreciate some feedback. [:D]

Manxman.
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Hi Manxman;

Eggs have been mentioned on this forum. Check out http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=221&whichpage=4&SearchTerms=eggs .

Smoked butter looks interesting. I am sure that is cold smoked [:)]

It's funny that you should mention garlic. A friend of mine has been asking me to do that. We have a garlic festival in our area every September, and he wants to experiment with smoked garlic. If you have any further information on that subject; please let me know. It would save a lot of trial and error on my part.

Smoked Blue cheese[?][?][?]

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Cold Smoke

Smoked garlic??? Smoked blue cheese??? Hmmmm- sounds very interesting- let us know if you give this a try.

Cold Smoke

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

i have done smoked garlic.[:)] when ever i do a smoke with hickory will cut the head/top off, brush with olive oil, and let her rip . about 5 hours of cook time, then save in fridge for future cooking.[;)]

MAKE SURE TO SIGN UP FOR THE FREE GIVEAWAY!! GO HERE.http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=991

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cold Smoke</i>
<br />Smoked garlic??? Smoked blue cheese??? Hmmmm- sounds very interesting- let us know if you give this a try.

Cold Smoke
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hey Cold Smoke--you're the prefect person to try cold-smokin' bleu cheese, especially in the next month or two!  If it won't workl were you are in the winter, it certainly won't work in much more temperate England.[:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SMOKEHOUSE ROB</i>
<br />i have done smoked garlic.[:)] when ever i do a smoke with hickory will cut the head/top off, brush with olive oil, and let her rip . about 5 hours of cook time, then save in fridge for future cooking.[;)]

MAKE SURE TO SIGN UP FOR THE FREE GIVEAWAY!! GO HERE.http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=991
Hi Rob,

Hot-smoked garlic cloves brushed in olive oyl sounds yummy!  Is the hickory critical, or is it worth trying with other woods as well?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SMOKEHOUSE ROB</i>
<br />i have done smoked garlic.[:)] when ever i do a smoke with hickory will cut the head/top off, brush with olive oil, and let her rip . about 5 hours of cook time, then save in fridge for future cooking.[;)]

Hi Rob,

Hot-smoked garlic cloves brushed in olive oyl sounds yummy!  Is the hickory critical, or is it worth trying with other woods as well?

John
Newton MA
i havent tried other woods, you want to use the whole head of garlic just cut the top off, you want a strong wood , oak or hickory, it still has the skin on it, the oil helps the smoke stick to it then wrap it, save for future cooking , always better the next day or two.

Cold Smoke

JJC-  <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hey Cold Smoke--you're the prefect person to try cold-smokin' bleu cheese, especially in the next month or two! If it won't workl were you are in the winter, it certainly won't work in much more temperate England.

I just happened to pick up a big chunk of blue at Costco recently and the weatherman says it should warm up a bit for the weekend. I will give it a try and let you know. And you're darn tootin' I have no problem cold smoking here lately-[;)][:(][xx(]

Now I have to think of something to make with the smoked blue- any suggestions out there??

Cold Smoke

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cold Smoke</i>
<br />JJC-  <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hey Cold Smoke--you're the prefect person to try cold-smokin' bleu cheese, especially in the next month or two! If it won't workl were you are in the winter, it certainly won't work in much more temperate England.

I just happened to pick up a big chunk of blue at Costco recently and the weatherman says it should warm up a bit for the weekend. I will give it a try and let you know. And you're darn tootin' I have no problem cold smoking here lately-[;)][:(][xx(]

Now I have to think of something to make with the smoked blue- any suggestions out there??

Cold Smoke
At the risk of sounding too mundane, how 'bout on a cracker or on a juicy burger?[8D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SMOKEHOUSE ROB</i>
Rob;
How much smoke and at what temperature?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

between 2 to 3 hours of smoke , i do them when ever i do a load in the bs ,  like if i do a brisket i will throw some in 210 4 to 5 hours is good ,

Ian

Manxman
Good afternoon: I just read your post there and had a chance to read a previous post on smoked eggs, I can't quite see the reasoning  behind cooking the eggs in the Bradley even for a short period of time after they have been boiled already.  Anyhow, thought I'd post a method/process that was originally written in the BBQer magazine in Spring 2003, this is a recipe from a good friend of mine in Niagara Falls(Reg Pelletier)and written by Mike Kerslake. (Jeff, do you recognize those names? lol)

-Place one dozen large eggs into pot of cold water
-Bring to a rolling boil over high heat,remove from burner,replace lid and let sit in hot water for 16 minutes
-Run very cold water over eggs to stop cooking process and to avoid nasty, green layer around yolk
-Peel eggs and roll two of them in your favorite rub
-Cold smoke at approx. 70 to 90 degrees for two hours
-Cut the ten un-rubbed eggs in half, removing yolks to a seperate bowl
-Chop the two rubbed eggs and add to the ten yolks
-Add mayonaise to desired consistency, and add additional rub to season (or hold and sprinkle on finished eggs)
-Spoon filling into the egg halves and cool in the fridge

Now Reg also advocates that while your cold smoking the eggs that you might as well throw on some queen size pimento olives, just the regular ones from the supermarket deli, hopefully the ones that were marinating in a hot pepper brine.  Now I can personally attest to the above mentioned hors d'euvres and they're outstanding, the only thing I might change is the duration of time in the smoker since I'm using a Bradley , I generally smoke for 1 hour and 20 minutes and find that it's plenty.[8D]

Ian(STEELERS SUPER FAN!!!!!!)

Habanero Smoker

A tip that I just learned that helps to remove the egg shells easier, is after cooking drain the hot water. While the eggs are still in the pot, vigoruously shake the pot. The purpose is to crack the shells of all the eggs. Next fill the pot with ice water and allow to sit, until the eggs are cool enough to handle. The water seeps under the shell, making it easier to peel.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

Hi Ian,

I hardboiled the quail eggs for 4 minutes, put them into cold water to stop the cooking process then 'fridged them for a few hours. At this point I shelled them (pain in the bum, thanks for the tip Haberno Smoker!) then cold oak smoked them for around an hour. This was only a baseline guesstimate, will adjust if and when I do em again.

Going to try them tonight, bit of salt and a few dips lined up together with a glass of chilled white wine and a few other eats!

Manxman.
Manxman