Questions already....

Started by Kingdom Smoker, February 27, 2009, 06:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingdom Smoker

My OBS is barely out of the box and I need some help....1. the instruction manual refers to the power cord going from the smoke tower to the wall outlet, but it (seems obvious) that it goes to the smoke generator, and then to the wall outlet...Is that correct?? 2. The is a small (drilled) hole in one end of the biisquette tower...is that significant or can I just ignore it and which end goes down??  3. When I finally get there, should I place the unit on something(cement blocks) or is it okay directly on the ground? (snow on the ground here in N.E.Vermont but driveway clear and gravel )  I am hoping to do this right so my first batch comes out great. Thaks for all the help and welcomes so far!! 

Roadking

Is there a diagram on the back of the smoker? Use that one.

NePaSmoKer

Welcome to the forum KS

Let me help you with your OBS.
1. The power cord from the cabinet plugs into the smoke gen. The other cord on the smoke gen goes to the wall outlet.

2. Don't worry about the hole on the OBS gen.

3. Some members place the smoker on blocks, some on wooden shelves or plastic. I have had mine on allot of surfaces with no major problems.

When you start your smoker for the first time, Place all racks, bottom tray water pan in the smoker and load around 8 to 10 wood pucks in it. Turn the smoker on with your slide all the way to the right (high) turn smoke gen switch on and let the smoke roll. You might want to manually advance the pucks to the front of the heated slide. This will season the smoker and burn off any foreign materials in making the smoker. Then your ready for your first food smoke.

enjoy

nepas

Ka Honu

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 27, 2009, 07:16:27 AM... Don't worry about the hole on the OBS gen...

I wondered about that, too.  I thought maybe it was where you attached a keychain or lanyard so you wouldn't lose it.  Thanks for setting me straight - I was having a terrible time driving my car with that thing hanging from the steering column.

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  NePa has you covered.  I have one more suggestion.  I recommend that you slightly elevate the front of the smoker.  I use a yard stick.  Be sure not to let the bottom face plate touch.  That plate will crack easily.  Once cracked, if enough meat drippings fall to the floor of the smoker, it is possible for it to run out the bottom of the door and damage the electronics.  Happy Smoking.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

One more additional comment. It is best to have the smoker at counter or table top height. If it's below that level it makes it more difficult to load, unload, add/change water and/or rotate the racks. Many of us use carts or tables. The surface of the smoker does not get hot enough to harm any surface that you place it on.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

West Coast Kansan

Quote from: Ka Honu on February 27, 2009, 08:01:59 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 27, 2009, 07:16:27 AM... Don't worry about the hole on the OBS gen...

I wondered about that, too.  I thought maybe it was where you attached a keychain or lanyard so you wouldn't lose it.  Thanks for setting me straight - I was having a terrible time driving my car with that thing hanging from the steering column.

:D :D :D Now that is funny !!!!!  LOL

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

La Quinta