Ready to season and cook - Placement of the smoker?

Started by Monch, February 27, 2009, 08:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

The only one I have tried is the one in the photo and it is not a drum style blower, it's a regular fan type blade in it. I would try to use a cigar or something that has a fair bit of smoke coming off it and turn your blower on. Move the cigar around and see if you can tell where the focused suction is, also where the turbulence is, then design something that focuses the smoke from the Bradley to that spot. Just make sure it's not sucking the smoke right through your Bradley.

When you tried it what was the result?

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Monch

All,

The unit is temporarily on a rolling hospital tray-table that came with me when my dear wife moved in.

It's great so far, but not ideal.

I went to my local restaurant supply store today...my idea of a good "shopping" trip but those rolling carts didn't cut it.  Going to Home Depot tomorrow, but the hospital cart is a viable stand-in.

I have thrown myself in the deep end.

There's a brisket in the fridge, rubbed with WTS's recommended dry rub, and it's starting first thing in the AM.  Plan on serving it with homemade beans and cornbread.

My wife is a dyed-in-the-wool carnivore, so she's 100% on board.

Wish me luck and I'll post pictures....if I'm proud...if not, I'll just cry....QQ!

KyNola

Monch,
If you have access to a Sam's Club, they have a rolliing cart for $58.00 that is ideal.  One hint, there is a difference in the top shelf depth vs. the other two.  When you assemble it, use one of the other shelves as the top shelf.  Otherwise, the door won't open unless you elevate your smoker on something.

Good luck with the brisket.  I have one in the freezer just waiting for my attention.

KyNola

Monch

Perfect, KyNola,

That's about half the price of the carts at the resto supply store.

I'll skip Home Depot and hit Sam's during lunch tomorrow.  Good tip on the shelf.  Most of the carts I've seen so far have the lip around the edges and I recognized that as an issue for the door.

I now have a chicken in the smoker and intend to do the brisket while I'm at work tomorrow.  Set it and forget it!

aces-n-eights

Quote from: IKnowWood on February 28, 2009, 05:51:44 PM
A&8 do you still get a good amount of smoke backup.  I got a similar setup but the hood can't handle the amount of smoke.  I get swirling smoke coming from all areas in the hood and it filters back into the garage.  A good bit does go outside but I still get a lot inside.  I end up opening another door or opening a window with a fan to vent the rest before it backs into the house (not that it is to bad, we love the smell).  My hood has some bends up then down to get outside.  I worry that the issue is the bend down, the warm air may just refuse to go there and backs in.  If that is the case I either will get an inline fan or get new windows where I can vent out the top of it.  Let me know your residual smoke.

I got mine also cheap, but not cheapest.

IKW, yes i get a bit of smoke leakage, but the hood seems to get the vast majority.  I tried the fan speed on low once and it couldn't keep up.  My hood has a "propeller" type fan instead of a drum.  The exhaust vent goes up from the hood about 4', then a 90° bend and then about 5' out thru the wall to the outside.  Directing the smoke from the vent toward the center of the fan intake, like Mr Walleye has done, looks like a great idea.

My setup is a small room i built in the garage so the smoke tends to stay in that room, altho we can definitely smell the great smell of smoke in garage when the Bradley is fired up.  ;D  It's not a bad thing!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Tenpoint5

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on February 27, 2009, 09:33:27 PM
Any more info on the wife that likes the smell of hickory in the garage and says smoke more if the smell goes away  ???  Would like to get one of those or at least arrange a conference.   ::)

Like the old saying goes "If the Price is right Everything is For Sale" This one is AS IS No Warranty, NO REFUNDS!!!! ;D

Really Momma is a pretty good egg I'll Keep her! (That depends on the price offered which will have to be alot more than she would ever get for me)

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

IKnowWood

I got a drum on mine.  I added a pipe and moved it around. I did find a sweet spot that did push it thru good.  Trouble was I had smoke rolling alon the sides and thru the sockets where the bulbs area.   Mine does go up then a u-turn and goes down out the window.  I am thinking of first trying up then a 90 degree and out.  Our windows are currently single hung.  We are replacing all our windows soon to double hung.  I will re-pipe it to go up and out and see if that works better.  If not change something else.  Maybe a different blower.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes