The BBQ Guru My Review of Capability

Started by nsxbill, January 16, 2005, 09:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsxbill

At the request of Raye (Oldman) I am posting up this review of the Guru Raptor.  I have also posted on the other site that Raye has started.

My impression:

The Use of the BBQ-Guru on the Bradley Smoker is possible with the purchase of a Raptor electrical controller along with either the Competitor or the ProCom4 controller.  These controllers were originally designed to work with wood or charcoal fired pits and barbeques, but the offering of the Raptor for use with electrical smokers makes it quite a useful accessory for the Bradley Smoker.

Having had a Competitor model prior to purchasing the ProCom4, I am familiar with both of the models offered and recommend either for your use for trouble free control of the temperature of your smoker.  Both of the controllers are universal and can be used on any barbecue from a Weber, The Big Green egg, or a large pit on wheels.  You just have to order a damper control and fan unit from THE BBQ GURU to have that capability.

The Competitor is the lowest priced controller.  The current price is $247, Raptor included.  The ProCom4 current price is $549 alone.  The Raptor runs about $99 alone.  Current prices will have to be quoted by the sales team at http://www.thebbqguru.com.

Is it worth the price?  For me? Absolutely!  Right now it makes my smoking experience trouble free.

Hooking up to the Bradley is simple.  You unplug the cabinet and plug into the Raptor controller.  There are three other connections on the entire setup ( Raptor): a thermocouple that measures your meat temp with a probe, and a clip to clip to a shelf inside the smoker.  The next connector is a 12V connector from 110v converter, and third a low voltage wire running from the control unit to the Raptor to send (A) signal to turn the Raptor off and on.  The controllers are made out of high impact plastic, and the Raptor is constructed of stainless steel.  After hooking it up, you slide your heat control on the BS all the way on.

On the Competitor, you set the "pit" temp and the temp you want your meat temp to be, and turn on the unit. If you hold down the alarm switch for about 5 seconds, it turns off the alarms.  It is called a "good neighbor" feature.  As pit and meat temp approach optimum, L.E.D. lights come on letting you know approximately how close you are to your goal temps.  The Controller turns the temp on and off to keep the smoker at the set temp and measures the meat temp constantly to assure the set temp is not exceeded.  It has a ramp mode which allows you to just set the meat temp and the smoker will rise to maximum temp possible and then slowly reduce heat as the meat temp (rises) approaches done temps.. The ramp mode is one of the outstanding features of the control, although I am never in a hurry when I smoke something and don't have the need to walk away..  I can walk away and my smoke will be controlled automatically.

Many folks leave the alarms on and use a baby monitor to listen for the alarms to go off.  You can also use a Maverick or other brand remote thermometer to keep an eye on your progress.

The ProCom4 is like the Competitor on steroids.  It has line of sight 600 ft. remote control capability. It allows complete remote control of every function. It has a digital alphanumeric control with a backlight and audible alarms on meat or oven over/under indication.  It will tell you at what power level your Raptor is heating, from 0-10.  It allows you to set an alarm in minutes to remind you to go back and change the water or rotate the shelves.  It displays in both degrees F. or C.  Best of all if your smoker is outside like mine, short distances, through walls, I can monitor my Bradley from anywhere in the house, outside in the garage, at the pool or in the spa.  You can even set the controller to shut down the smoker once your meat temp is reached....all from the remote.

The Procom4 also will monitor two separate areas at the same time.  If you have two types of meat in your smoker you can measure pit temp at the lower shelf and meat on the lower shelf.

The unit can be used like a remote thermometer stand alone without plugging anything in but the meat probe if you desire.  That would make it also something you could use in a conventional oven.  For instance, if you were cooking a roast, ham or Turkey in the oven indoors. (It can't control the temp of the oven, but it can watch your food temp and let you know the temp remotely.) It takes on the monitoring for you, and does it remotely.

It is pricey, but not considering there are 8 separate instruments combined in a powerful wireless.  They do offer combo specials once in awhile on the website.  If you can afford the price of the unit, you will love either model.  I understand the reluctance on purchasing such an expensive controller, but using it allows complete "walk away from the smoker" capability if you need that, and allows the freedom to do other things than sliding the electrical smoker control back and forth in response to the alarms from my remote thermometer or visual checks of the temp via the cabinet thermometer.

I should also mention that the ProCom4 can be used to monitor and control other things such as home brew or other processes, hydroponics tanks, or even large aquariums. I understand it will go down to, and control even very low temps so that you can even do water tempering or freeze protection with it.

The controller/Raptor combination does everything except changing the water and rotating the shelves for you.  

I give it a big "thumbs up."

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

JJC

Nice review, Bill.  I'm not planning on getting one (at least for now), but you've provided a good foundation for someone to make that decision.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Habanero Smoker

Hi Bill,

Nice write up. I just wanted to remind you that there are two ways to use the ramp mode. First, the way you described in your write up. Second, setting the smoker temperature at the temperature you would normally smoke at, and then allowing the Guru to lower the cabinet temperature as the meat temperature rises (this greatly extends the cooking times). The ramp mode is easily disabled by setting the meat temperature to off prior to turning on the power.

I also give it thumbs up. I did Kummoc's salmon, and the Raptor/Guru made setting the three different stages of cooking temperatures a breeze.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)