smoked smelt

Started by jdavidson, February 27, 2009, 07:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdavidson

Smoked up some smelt last night and thought I would share some pictures of them.They turned out perfect.For the brine I used 2 cups brown sugar, 1 cup canning salt and 2 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce with about a half gallon or more water.

West Coast Kansan

Well welcome to the forum.  Dont know much about smelt but they sure look golden.   ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Smokin Soon

Lived in North East Michigan [Oscoda] 30 years ago and a properly smoked smelt is very tasty! Back in those days they had what they called party stores, just independent roadside stores like a 7-11 that also had their home made stuff. Most had smokers and did meat processing for the hunters. Also they were in competition with each other over the best jerkey and sausages.

In those days smelt was just a late night run for however much you could carry or store!

backstrap

JD- used to get a basket of fried smelt (21) 40 years ago at a little bar in KY...they were great.  I think I'll try some of these...what wood, temp and time did you use?

bigcatdaddy

I love Smelt!!!  I used to have them all the time many years ago.  Guys would head up north and bring loads of them home and then we'd spend all night cleaning them and then have big Smelt Fry's.  They look great, how did they taste???

BCD

coleman

They do look good.  Can you eat the whole thing like a sardine.  Never had smelt before.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: coleman on May 03, 2009, 06:51:31 PM
They do look good.  Can you eat the whole thing like a sardine.  Never had smelt before.
I've heard of them but looks like bait fish to me. What do you pickle them and eat them like herring?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

PensacolaJim

Awwwww, That brings back memories. I used to get smelt from Lake Michigan. Stayed up all night gutting the little fellows. They were great fried, yum!
Slow Smoked and falling off the bone, Yum!

smokeitall

Yep brings back a lot of memories for me from childhood.  Used to love those all nighters on the pier at Lake Michigan.

sodak

We got 'em late at night during the smelt runs on the tributary rivers dumping into Lake Superior up by Duluth where I lived for a couple of years.  Cleaning was a cinch, although it took a while because you'd haul them out in basket loads from the river.

Now, I use them for salmon bait on the down riggers.  Never had them smoked (just deep fat fried) but we did eat a lot of smoked ciscoe from Superior.  Those roadside stands were great.

Lots of fond memories.