Bisquette Advance

Started by 77383step, October 19, 2008, 09:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drano

Another reason your pucks may be feeding too fast is that the square hole the manual puck advance switch is mounted in may be too small, and therefore pinches the switch into the On mode continuously. 

My puck advancer was in full runaway mode a few years ago.  I replaced the switch with no change to the problem.   Now I set my watch timer to 20 minutes, and when it goes off, I go out to the smoker, watch it cycle and stop, then add a puck to the tube.  I only keep one puck in the tube, so if it goes crazy, I don't lose a stack of pucks.  Good news is the last 5 or so smokes, it has never acted up. 

I read on the forum here a while back that a fix for a pinched manual puck advance switch is to remove the switch, and make the hole slightly bigger with a file.  I need to try that with mine, but never get around to it. 

Stitches040

A quick question about the Bisquettes ...

Do they burn completely into a pile of ash, or should I expect to see a small, burnt, hockey puck version of the original, floating in the water bowl???

After seasoning my Smoker, I took a look at them. One was not burnt throughout, but the others were.  Black all the way through.  I think I was expecting a complete burn, into ash.  Not expecting to see small pucks floating in the liquid.

Thanks in advance.
Shuan

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum Stiches!

Yep just burnt pucks, thats what you should be getting!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Mr Walleye

Hi Stitches and welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to the FAQ on pucks...

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=773&postcount=16

Also, in case your interested here is the entire FAQ's

http://susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=748#post748

And... if you still feel like reading click on the smoker in the bottom of my post and you will be taken to the recipe site. Lot's of good stuff there!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

77383step

Well its been a while since I posted. After the last post, I haven't had any issues, kinda solved itself. But today I loaded it up and turned it on, and pressed my bisquette advance button. Walked back by about 30 mins later and all seven pucks were gone, floating in water that was still cold. My button is getting stuck. Guess I'll be calling the service department after the new year.
Thanks for all of the help, and have a happy and safe New Year

Mr Walleye

77383step

Here is a link to the FAQ regarding this over on the Recipe Site.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=765&postcount=8

Mike

77383step

Thanks Mike. You would think that if the users could figure out that it was a crappy button, the manufacturer could too, and thus fix it! I think that filing the opening would fix it, but should I still request warranty?

Smoking Duck

If it is still covered by warranty, then I most certainly would have it taken care of under warranty. 

Sd

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

drano

77383step
Since my Nov post, I found time to file the push button opening.  A couple strokes with a triangle file is all it took (but I did 3-4 strokes).  So I carefully wrapped electrical tape to built it back up, slipped the switch back in, reassembled, and I'm set.  I've done 3 smokes in the last week, and all is good. 
The button moves in and out w/ no sticking/binding at all.  I still load 3, set my watch timer for 1 hour, and check on the smoker.  Once of these days, I'll have confidance to just load up the tube and walk away.
If you have a triangle file or a ingnition points file (I'm dating myself here!), you can do it in about 20 minutes, which includes removing and replacing the perimiter screws from the generator.  The ones not on the edge hold stuff to the insides.
good luck
drano

hogansons

I also ran into the "run-a-way" bisquette problem, I took the whole thing apart and cleaned it, plugged it in while it was apart and it still was running constantly.  I unplugged the switch and still had the problem so I decided to do the "add a puck every 20 minutes".  After about 30 minutes the auto feeder stopped the "constant" feed and started going every 20 minutes again.  Seems like once it warms up it works again.  I have also had the thing take off on me half way through doing my ribs!!!!  Wasted about half a box of bisquettes.  I emailed bradley and they responded back to call them.  it seems like it is the black box on the bottom of the feeder that is the problem.  I will let you know what I end up doing.

Quote from: Mr Walleye on November 12, 2008, 02:00:24 PM
Hi Stitches and welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to the FAQ on pucks...

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=773&postcount=16

Also, in case your interested here is the entire FAQ's

http://susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=748#post748

And... if you still feel like reading click on the smoker in the bottom of my post and you will be taken to the recipe site. Lot's of good stuff there!  ;)

Mike

Mr Walleye

Hi Hogansons and welcome to the forum.

Bradley will look after you, just give them a call.

Keep us posted.

Mike

Smokin Soon

Don't hesitate to call, I had an issue today posted in another topic, but I felt I was treated very well. Issue very quickly resolved.