Canadian Bacon

Started by seemore, February 28, 2009, 05:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

We prepped some loins today using Hab's recipe for Canadian bacon:

We will let them sit until next Saturday, and then we will smoke them.
Can't wait to try them!!
seemore

IKnowWood

I have not done the CB but I gotta tell you.  these look rude!

I am all into eating bacon, but never tried to do this from the start.  I fear once I start it would be hard to stop.  But I dunno.  Lets wait till we see the end pictures.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Mr Walleye

IKnowWood

Man ya gotta try it!  :P

Mind you I agree with you... Once you start... it's a must in the rotation!  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

La Quinta

Habs CB recipe is killer....you're gonna be thrilled with it...  ;)

Smokin Soon

Wood, cannot believe an experienced Senior member has not tried Canadian Bacon! Let's face facts that there is probably no kind of bacon that is good for you, but the Hab's version is probably the best you can do. It's an easy prep and an easy cook. Vac seal and your good for at least 4 months in the freezer, probably longer, mine does not last that long as I use it other things. I just have the cheapie Rival
slicer from Walmart, and it does the job for Canadian Bacon. Still under 30 bucks for the slicer last time I checked.

csakis

I am also doing Habs' Canadian Bacon. I started last Saturday, so tomorrow I am smoking them. This is my firs ever cured meat. Am I supposed to see whether the meat is cured or not? To me, they look the same way when I started last week.
csaba

La Quinta

Nah...if you followed the recipe...you'll be good...it's kinda like doing anything cured (salmon) for instance kinda looks the same...the flesh just gets "denser" (if that's a word) as the moisture is kinda sucked out and then re-infused back in...(they may not be the best desciption of the process, but it's easy to understand)!!!  ;D

Habs can give you the technical points...just go with it...

KyNola

IKW,
I'm with Mike on this one.  You have GOT to do the CB.  It is so simple and oh so good.  Mike is also correct when he says once you do it, you are hopelessly addicted.

KyNola

nickld

Having made Hab's CB myself I have to say that looks just about like mine at that stage. I vacuum sealed it and let it cure for 7 days. Man you're gonna love it!

~Nick

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: csakis on February 28, 2009, 07:15:29 PM
I am also doing Habs' Canadian Bacon. I started last Saturday, so tomorrow I am smoking them. This is my firs ever cured meat. Am I supposed to see whether the meat is cured or not? To me, they look the same way when I started last week.
csaba

I generally only cure for 6 days, so your bacon should be fine. Mine usually looks a little darker after curing, probably due to the dark brown sugar; and often you will see an iridescent sheen on the surface. But it is hard to make a mistake follow the recipe. As LQ pointed out a good sign is firmness of the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

Canadian Bacon - You GOTTA Do it!

;D ;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

I can only echo what the others have said.     Once you start it will be in your regular rotation.

Seemore - hardest part is waiting the 2 days after smoking.  Your gonna love it.

INW - you have to try it!

seemore

We made Canadian bacon last year, and just finished it up this past month.  It was not Hab's recipe however, as this one to 20 days to cure.  We decided that when we made another batch we would try Habs.  None of Hab's recipes have done us wrong yet, so I don't think we will be at all disappointed with this Canadian bacon.  IKW, you MUST do Canadian Bacon.
The Seemores

Smokin Soon

The Bacon family of smokes will force me into a standalone freezer some day. Belly, Buckboard and Canadian Bacon all sliced up and vac sealed. No loss in taste or quality that I have noticed. Some Tasso too! for when the gumbo winter chill hits. I have gone up to 5 months, but usually attack it within 3 months. Gotta browse Craigslist for that sweet deal on someone moving!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Smokin Soon on March 01, 2009, 05:41:32 PM
The Bacon family of smokes will force me into a standalone freezer some day. Belly, Buckboard and Canadian Bacon all sliced up and vac sealed. No loss in taste or quality that I have noticed. Some Tasso too! for when the gumbo winter chill hits. I have gone up to 5 months, but usually attack it within 3 months. Gotta browse Craigslist for that sweet deal on someone moving!

Boy I hear ya SS! I try to keep a pretty good stock of bacon, then add 80 lb batches of sausage all vac sealed and in the freezer. Man... I gotta find another one too!  ???  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes