Atlantic Croaker (Micropogonias undulatus)

Started by Roadking, March 01, 2009, 05:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadking

Felt like having a snack. Picked up 4 Croakers brined them in salt and brown sugar for 6 hours. Actually if I ever do them again I'll omit the sugar and triple the brine time as I like my smoked fish saltier. Rinsed them off and dried them for 4 hours after they were hung with butcher twine. Smoked them at 190° for 6 hours.
Meat was sweet and moist but like I said I'll do them the old way I used to do slow and low, saltier and firmer.

Gizmo

I noticed that you had foil covering an entire rack under the croakers.  You might want to cut back on full coverage some or leave the rack out completely.  Fully covering a rack blocks smoke and heat from doing its job.  Your heating element will have to burn hotter and longer to try to maintain the temperature above the blockage as the rack is below the heat sensor.  The V Tray is there to direct the drippings into the water bowl and slotted to allow the heat and smoke to rise easily.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Roadking

That photo is deceiving, there is a 3/4" space on the sides and back and 1-1/2" in the front.