We're new here

Started by oregonsmoker, March 01, 2009, 12:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oregonsmoker

We're new here.  My name is Mike.  This is our first meal from the Bradley digital smoker:  Two Cornish game hens.  My wife had been broiling these little birds with a stuffing for many years and they have always been "good".  We were not prepared for the taste treat that awaited us.  My wife used one of the brines we found on this great website, except she substituted "cranberry juice" for "apple juice"; only because we had no apple juice and live a long way from town.  I cut out the backbone and crushed the breast.  We gave the birds two hours of cherry smoke combined with three and one half hours Bradley oven time plus ten minutes on a propane grill at the end. 

We thought We'd died and gone to heaven!  The taste went all the way to the bone!  It had a taste almost like it had been wrapped in bacon, but we used no bacon.  For hours afterwords we could taste the smoke.  What a treat.  We are looking forward to many happy meals.  I'm going to try posting the photo, hope it gets through.

nickld

Howdy Oregon....  Welcome to the forum. The picture looks great!  I'm drooling all over my keyboard now...

Lookin' forward to more...

~Nick

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum oregonsmoker!

It looks as if you have this smokin' thing figured out, that looks great!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

Nice opening post OregonSmoker!  ;)

Oh ya... and welcome to the forum!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Roadking

Welcome to the forum. That photo gives you the impression you can reach out a take a piece. Looks yummy.

Wildcat

Very nice job.  Welcome to the forum.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Oh my, that is good looking food....  8)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

KyNola

Oregon,
Welcome to the family!  That's your first time on the Bradley?!  Dang dude, that looks like lots of experience to me.  Great looking food.

KyNola

Gizmo

Welcome Oregon,
You'll have to let us know which brine recipe you used especially if it produced a bacon flavor. 
I agree with KyNola, What an out of the gate'r for you.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

oregonsmoker

What a great forum ;D  Thanks for all the good words and support.  The brine we used was:  Three pints water
                                                                                                                              one pint cranberry juice
                                                                                                                              one-third cup canning salt
                                                                                                                              two tablespoons sugar
                                                                                                                              one tablespoon onion powder

oregonsmoker

That was a mistake, didn't mean to post yet.  I didn't finish the brine.  I'm still getting used to this posting thing :P

The Brine:
Three pints water
one pint cranberry juice
one-third cup canning salt
two tablespoons sugar
one tablespoon onion powder
one tablespoon dill weed (dry)
one teaspoon chopped garlic
one teaspoon black pepper

NePaSmoKer

Welcome oregon. Those little guys look good. WTG

This is just the start  ;D

nepas

La Quinta

Holy Moly Oregon Smoker couple...looks delicious...Well...well done...you both will have fun with your smoker...the world is your oyster (and you can smoke it too!!!)  ;D

seemore

Welcome, Oregon Smoker!  That looks fantastic!
Mr & Mrs Seemore

deb415611

Oregon Smoker,

Those look awesome!

Deb