A little help folks

Started by Oldman, January 17, 2005, 05:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Maybe I'm blind, but it seems that pulled pork is posted about in a general way.

Would some of you sit down and post back as to what ingredients you are using for rub on your pulled pork. Also, your smoking/ cooking times and choices of woods.

If you are using a purchased rub please include the full name and a link to the site you purchase it from.

It would be nice to have at least 6-10 different versions.

Phew it is after mid-night already. Been sitting here too many hours, but I was able to add several more recipes tonight.
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />Maybe I'm blind, but it seems that pulled pork is posted about in a general way.

Would some of you sit down and post back as to what ingredients you are using for rub on your pulled pork. Also, your smoking/ cooking times and choices of woods.

If you are using a purchased rub please include the full name and a link to the site you purchase it from.

It would be nice to have at least 6-10 different versions.

Phew it is after mid-night already. Been sitting here too many hours, but I was able to add several more recipes tonight.
Olds

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Olds,

You might want to talk with Jeff (Big  Smoker) as he sells the Dizzy Pig line of rubs and has a lot experience with them.  I'm getting some in from him tomorrow and have a tri-tip, ham, and Boston Butt ready to go using some of these rubs.  I'll let you know how they turn out, but there are lots of folks out there who are experts on pulled pork!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Habanero Smoker

I have used three different rubs on butts; The Renowned Mr. Brown Barbecued Pork Butt, Memphis Rub (I can't locate right now), and the other recipe I can't post.

The Renowned Mr. Brown Barbecued Pork Butt, Memphis Rub; Smoke & Spice, by Cheryl and Bill Jamison.
1/4 C. Black Pepper, fresh cracked
1/4 C. Paprika
1 /4 C. Turbinado Sugar or Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Salt, Kosher
2 tsp. Mustard, dry
1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
(Makes enough for one 6 - 8 lb. Boston Butt)

1- The night before combine all ingredients in a small bowl or Ziploc bag, and mix well. Message the pork butt well with 1/2 of the rub mixture. You can rub prepared yellow mustard over the butt prior to applying the rub – you will not taste the mustard. I have done it with and without the prepared mustard, and can't tell any difference other then it is easier for the rub to stick to the butt. Transfer the butt to a plastic bag (or wrap in plastic) and refrigerate overnight.

2- Remove the butt from the refrigerator and bat and pat down with some more of the rub. Allow to sit at room temperature for 45 minutes before placing into smoker.

3- Prepare the smoker by bringing the temperature to 200 - 220 degrees F. I smoke mine at 210 degrees F.

4- Using four hours of smoke (Apple, Maple or a combination of both), smoke for approximately 1 1/2 hours per pound, until an internal meat temperature of 185 degrees F is reached. (Personally I take mine out of the smoker at 175 degrees F.)

5- Let the meat rest for about 30 minutes, and then pull the pork or chop it with a knife. Or you can use the Foil/Towel/Cooler method.

I also use the Vaunted Vinegar Sauce.

Vaunted Vinegar Sauce
1 C. Cider Vinegar (I use Nakano Rice Vinegar, Original Flavor)
1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp. Black pepper, fresh cracked
1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes

Place all ingredients in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for 5-10 minutes. Let cool, and season pork to taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Habanero Smoker thanks a lot. <font color="red"><b>I have added both of your recipes to the Pork section. Plus I added your "Vaunted Vinegar Sauce" to the Sauce section. Titled it <font color="blue">Vaunted Vinegar Sauce for Pulled Pork.</font id="blue"></b></font id="red">

Again thank you and I will never ask about that *cough* recipe you cannot post~~LOL
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BigSmoker

Wow this forum has gone nuts.  So many new posts its hard to keep up with it all.  I would have to say pulled pork is a favorite of mine and the many others I have shared it with over the years.  My time tested procedure is as follows.

BigSmoker's Georgia Pulled Pork

1.  Buy as fresh as possible bone-in 8-9 lb. Boston Butt Pork Roast.

2.  Score fat cap diagonally one or both ways.  This will allow the rub to penetrate into the meat.

3.  Premix a 10% solution(compared to the BB's weight)of apple juice(pineapple juice works well too)6 parts and Dale's sauce(apple cider vinegar works too)4 parts.  Use a deep glass for the mixture.  You can also add 1-2 teaspoon(s) of pulverised rub to this mixture.  Using an kitchen injector, inject this solution in 12-15 spots all over the BB.

4.  Sprinkle as much rub as the BB will hold on all sides and pat the rub in with your fingers.  For a warm spicy bark I use Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom and for a flavorful standard I use Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust.  They can be found at //www.bbqshopping.com and //www.dizzypigbbq.com.  Wrap the BB in plastic wrap and set in a  dish/bowl just in case it leaks any.  Store in the fridge for 12-24 hrs.

5.  Remove BB from fridge.  Fill Bradley water bowl with very hot water and place it in the smoker. Pre-heat Bradley Smoker to high for about an hour.  

6.  Layer 1 pack of cheap bacon on one of the Bradley racks.  Be sure the bacon dosen't touch the edges of the rack.  This keeps the bacon fat from running down the sides and back of the smoker.  You don't want the fat especially on the back of the smoker where it could drip onto the heating elemant.  Place BB on seperate rack and insert the temp probe in the center of the BB.  Place both racks into smoker with bacon on top most rack and BB on the next slot down.  Thread the temp wire through the top vent.  This must be done as quickly as possible so you don't let all the heat out.  Using bottom slide, adjust as needed to maintain 225°f.  After the BB has been in smoker for 1 hr. start the smoke process.  Use a combo of 1 pecan and 2 apple pucks for a total of 4 hrs. of smoking time.  I also use 2 bubba pucks and an additional puck to push the last burnt puck into the water bowl.  Empty water bowl after all pucks have been used, refill with very hot water and put it back in smoker.  Finish cooking the BB until internal temp is 195-200°f(pulled pork).  The total cooking time will take between 1 1/2 hr. to 2 hr. per lb. of meat.  The injected solution will normally keep it closer to 1 1/2 hr. per pound.  When you have reached target temp. take BB and place it on a large piece of heavy duty foil being careful to keep it in tact.  Begin to wrap the BB in the foil.  Add 1/2 cup apple juice over top of BB.  Wrap the foil tightly around the BB.  After the foil wrap, wrap two old bath sized towels around the BB.  Place BB in an empty cooler.  Let it rest for 2 hrs.  This process is abbreviated as FTC(foil, towel, cooler).

7.  Remove BB from cooler, towels and foil onto a platter.  Remove bone and large pieces of fat and any left over collagen.  Using your hands pull the meat apart into chunky strands.  Be sure to save and use the bark that is on the BB as it has a concentrated rub flavor.  Serve with white bread slices and your favorite sauce.  Sauces widely vary from region to region.  Many choices are avaliable from vinegar based, sweet ketchup based and sweet or tangy mustard based.  I usually mix up about 2 parts ketchup to 1 part apple cider vinegar with a hefty amount of black pepper nothing else.  Very simple.  Enjoy[:p].  For a more intense smoke flavor use hickory instead of pecan.

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Oldman
Again thank you and I will never ask about that *cough* recipe you cannot post~~LOL
Olds

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I would post it, but it's not my recipe, and the person who lets me use it is much bigger than me, and he does not want to share [V] . I do use Mr. Brown's the most.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JJC

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about, Jeff!  Man, just reading it is making me hungry.  I sure hope those Dizzy Pig rubs you shipped me come in tomorrow as planned![:p][:p]

John
Newton MA

UPDATE:  Just checked the UPS Tracking Number, and the shipment is resting just 30 miles away.  It's due in tomorrow as planned!
John
Newton MA

tsquared

Hey Olds-here is my favourite Rub out of BBQ Secrets. It gets rave reviews from our friends who have tasted my pulled pork.

1 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 cup of each:celery salt, garlic salt, onion salt,seasoning salt
1/3 cup chili powder (I use a combo of ancho and New Mexican, grinding my own)
1/3 cup coarse ground black pepper
1/3 cup paprika

To this add heat to your taste(cayenne or hot paprika or chipoltes) and a couple of your choice of signature spices. (I use heated and ground cumin, 2tsp)

This makes about 3 cups of rub which stores well in the fridge.

Tom

Oldman

Just stopped by for lunch.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Wow this forum has gone nuts. So many new posts its hard to keep up with it all. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You should be on my end. Trying to glean past postings and keeping up with the new ones.... Momma make them go away----j/k

I will get to this posting tonight when I come in.
Olds...
phew keep them coming folks.. work this old dog into the gound.[:D]

<font size="4"><font color="red"><b>tsquared recipe has been added</b></font id="red"></font id="size4">