Never smoked before

Started by stlbites.com, March 02, 2009, 12:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stlbites.com

Bill Burge - St. Louis food blogger, food lover, former cook...

I picked up a Bradley Saturday to smoke a ham I'd been brining for ten days from a red wattle hog I'd sought out, purchased, had fed out and slaughtered (just a few days prior to the brining).  I wanted a smoker that would yield good results without the hassle of tending flames through the night.  The Bradley was slightly more than I wanted to spend, but seemed like the obvious choice.

Picked up a floor model at Bass Pro for $270 w/ a box of alderwood so I couldn't be more happy as the ham is now smoked and I'm happy with the result.  I'm sure I'll only do better next time as I could have cut back on the brine slightly.

Can't wait to get some more use in of this great product.

Wildcat

Congradulations on your purchase and first smoke.  You will love your Bradley.  Welcome to the forum.  Click on the link at the bottom of my post to check out the receipe site.  Lots of information there.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum stlbites.com!

What WildCat said....

Keep the vent more open than you'd think, cook by Internal Temp, not time, ask questions...

Do you have any pictures of that Ham ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Roadking

WELCOME to the forum. You can also cut your brining time in half by injecting the brine into your probuct. Use the 10% method 10 lb. ham you would inject 1 lb. of your brine into the ham. Spread the brine through out not in one place. 1 liquid pound equals a pint, so 20 lb. ham uses 1 quart.

Tenpoint5

Welcome aboard Bill, Lots of good information and people here willing to help you out with your new toyool!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

Hi Bill and welcome to the forum.

Lots of great folks here and even more great food!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

West Coast Kansan

Smoke rolls, post your results and questions.  This is a good place to share it all

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Smokin Soon

Bill, hope you have the time to cruise around the forum and read a bit. A wealth of info here and on the recipe sight. Welcome to the forum!

Gizmo

Welcome aboard Bill.
Looking forward to hearing about your smoking adventures.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Caneyscud

Welcome Bill

Lots of good people and good information on this forum.  Just hitch up and hang on and have fun.  OBTW a little secret-------the natives get restless if there are no pictures.  Just a warning!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

HCT

Welcome to the forum Bill.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

josbocc

Bill,

Welcome to the forum.  Make sure to check back frequently as there are always new techniques and tips to try.  Remember, there's never a dumb question, please ask.  Someone will have an answer for you, and will be happy to provide it.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!