Experimenting

Started by dbrown1, August 31, 2009, 12:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbrown1

Okay I changed up my brine a little and this time I have pics, also followed a lot of good advice and ended up with no more bugger problems (thanks to all).

Brine:
34 oz of Yoshidas Terriyaki
10 oz Kikkoman soy sauce
8 oz water (still working on the correct amount for brine)
1- 20 oz can of pineapple tidbits
8 garlic cloves crushed and diced
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. celery salt
1 tsp. cayenne
and approximately an 8 count of Mo lases

Brine for 14 hours.... I slept in usually been brining for 12

Dried for 4 hours w/ help of fan

This brine is still experimental but I think if you were going to do 6 fish doubling the recipe would be sufficient (if anyone wants to try) I will get back to you on that ;D

Smoking: Followed Kummoks Temps (THANK YOU)

Smoked with Maple and Cherry for 3 hours

Total cook time 6 hours (for this small amount of fish I think 5 hours cook time would have been sufficient)
And because you like pics so much (and I figured out how to post...thanks HR) here is the final product !!

This in my opinion is excellent !! YUM

FLBentRider

That looks good!

I may have to dig some salmon out of the freezer and try that!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

dbrown1

I would have preferred to use alder/cherry but they can't keep it in stock  at the stores so I'm going to have to order some on-line..

Hopefull Romantic

Dbrown1,

these look so good I think I would have them as an after midnight snack.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

mikecorn.1

Experiment looks like a complete success. Nice,  :P
Mike

OU812

dbrownone

Thats some good looking fish, glad you got the temp thing figured out

Slept in? 14 hr?  ;D

HawkeyeSmokes

Very nice indeed debrown1. Making me hungry here!!!!
HawkeyeSmokes

dbrown1

OU812... Yeah I work out of town sometimes just got back from a week of 18-20 hour days, I was tired  :P
It all worked out in the end though . Brought some in to work today, didn't last long at all .

OU812

Quote from: dbrown1 on August 31, 2009, 05:41:53 PM
It all worked out in the end though . Brought some in to work today, didn't last long at all .

With it all disappearing is always a good thing.

Tenpoint5

Look's great DB. No Buggers is a good looking thing!!! I need to catch some more in Oct.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Kummok

Your brine sounds GREAT, DB1!! I like the "tropical ingredients" you've added to the mix! Wonder what a splash of rum would do??

I know it's all about taste and everyone's is different....that being said, reading your post and looking at the great pics, I'd have to agree with you on the "less smoking time" thoughts. Your "pellicle formed" stage pic showed pellicle perfection. From what I see, (and for my own taste), I'd have gone no more than 3.5-4 hours, but then again, I like my smoked (and grilled!) salmon very moist..... The nice thing about smoking salmon is that there's no such thing as a smoked salmon "mistake" in my book.

dbrown1

Thanks for the tips Kummok.... I still have a lot of fish left and will try the time you suggested cause I really wanted that to be more moist myself(its the only complaint I have about this batch), thanks to all for  the encouraging words.... I am totally hooked on smoking !!