"pellicling" large quantities...

Started by tublackdogs, March 02, 2009, 10:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadking

FLBentRider

And if you double the racks and invert them over the four that are the right side up you can double your surface area.

Are those racks not the same as the OBS/DBS racks ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Bradley (Head Office)

Quote from: FLBentRider on March 06, 2009, 04:51:46 PM
Are those racks not the same as the OBS/DBS racks ?

FLB
No they are not the same as the OBS/DBS
If you look close at the pic you will see on the side they have a turn down on each end to keep them from slipping out.

The other racks will fit they just slide out if you move it to quickly.

The drip tray is also different it has holes it each corner to lock it to the frame.

Brian

Kummok

From the pic, it looks like you could use the inverted rack but the top inverted tray sliding out would be a concern. I'll post the pics again so you can see how Smokehouse Rob made his tray "locks" with a bent SS wire that extends down from top to bottom to hold all trays from sliding out. Can't see in Brian's pic what's under the vented drip pan so don't know if/how the SS wire would clamp onto a lower bracket???

Bigger question is whether the propane racks, with their little locking loops, will work in the regular OBS/DBS Bradley box...it'd be an inconvenience to have to pellicle on the propane racks than move to the OBS/DBS racks for smoking. If they don't, I reckon that you could order the structure w/o racks and just use your existing OBS/DBS racks with the above mentioned home made SS wire locks.

I really like the looks of the base for rigidity but don't have one so don't know if it's non-marring for use on "scratchable" kitchen counter tops??

Marketing note to Brian....is Bradley interested in making SS drying racks? Seems like they'd sell...I bought one for each of my 3 OBSs from Smokehouse Rob via Kirk and have a "gifted" fourth just cuz I helped SR with the design. They are indispensable for salmon smoking of more than four trays at a time.....

Bradley (Head Office)

Quote from: Kummok on March 06, 2009, 10:56:53 PM
Can't see in Brian's pic what's under the vented drip pan so don't know if/how the SS wire would clamp onto a lower bracket???

Here is a side view

Bigger question is whether the propane racks, with their little locking loops, will work in the regular OBS/DBS Bradley box...it'd be an inconvenience to have to pellicle on the propane racks than move to the OBS/DBS racks for smoking. If they don't, I reckon that you could order the structure w/o racks and just use your existing OBS/DBS racks with the above mentioned home made SS wire locks.

The Propane racks are slightly smaller i have used them in my DBS just need to center them in the smoker.
In the picture the propane rack is inverted on top of an original rack. The propane is about 1/4" smaller.

I really like the looks of the base for rigidity but don't have one so don't know if it's non-marring for use on "scratchable" kitchen counter tops??

There is no rubber feet or anything like that on the bottom so i would be careful there, I guess you could glue some felt on the bottom.

Marketing note to Brian....is Bradley interested in making SS drying racks? Seems like they'd sell...I bought one for each of my 3 OBSs from Smokehouse Rob via Kirk and have a "gifted" fourth just cuz I helped SR with the design. They are indispensable for salmon smoking of more than four trays at a time.....

I will pass this along to our R&D department thanks.

Habanero Smoker

That same member also made a refrigerator drying rack. It will fit in my refrigerator, after I adjust one self. I occasionally will use it in my oven to dehydrate fruits, vegetables and jerky.

It's 11 3/4 inches high; 15 inches wide, and 10 inches deep. Because of the flash it hard to see that it holds four racks.

Click to enlarge.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kummok

Sure wish Smokehouse Rob was still around selling these!! Does yours have the dimensions to do the inverted rack double up trick and still have room for product on the inverted rack Habs?  Your pic shows very clearly, the SS wire "rack stop"....for those that don't have one of SR's racks, those stops actually just snap into place making them removable....

Habanero Smoker

I wish he was around also. Whatever problem(s) he had I hope he worked everything out for the better.

The wire "rack stop" (one on each side), was a great idea. If the stops were not added the racks could easily slip off while you are carrying it. With the refrigerator rack, if you use all four self brackets you can not invert and double the racks. Also the spaces between the brackets are not the same. I can't recall all the discussions back then, but he did that after lengthy discussions with members on this board.

The greatest space is between the bottom bracket and the second from the bottom. The smallest space is between the top bracket and the third from the bottom. I find you can use all four racks with air drying salmon and other fish, jerky, ribs, and other items that are 1.5 inches thick or less. For chicken parts I find I can use three racks, because most of the time the space between the third and top brackets are not quite wide enough.

When I bought mine, I also purchased 4 trays. When I have a cook out, I will use the trays to carry appetizers. It cuts down on a trip of two. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tublackdogs

Thanks for all the tips!
Brian: the part numbers are a great help!
It occurs to me that that I am going to have to settle for drying outside, so I think the easiest thing to do would be to simply use the frame and rack from my DBS and then I can transfer it directly to the smoker when the drying process is done.  I will just have to make some kind of ss clip to stop the trays from sliding out during transport.
I've got a few months to think on it..... :-\

manxman

QuoteI wish he was around also. Whatever problem(s) he had I hope he worked everything out for the better.

Second that HS, notice he has been active Feb 09 so he is still keeping an eye on us!  ;) :)

Those racks of his are really useful.
Manxman

Kummok

I sure hope so ManX!  If yer out there lurkin' SR, we miss ya's and hope all's okay. Know that your racks are getting a workout up here and standin' up like the day they were made!! Hope to hear from you, friend!

mcalpin1

Anyone have detail photos of Smokehouse Rob drying racks?  If required, I can host the photos on my domain server.. I have 200G of space.

I'm in the process of drying my salmon and my wife isn't to pleased with the smell.  It's been 9 hours and still no pellicling.  I should youtube the word pellicling to see if there is anything to learn.

Kummok

What kind of detail do you need, Mcalpin1? Glad to take pics for you if you need more detail than is already posted......

I LOVE salmon but have to agree with your wife....the pellicling stage is kinda pukey to smell. I didn't check to see where you are located geographically but unless you're in the tropics, you should see some drying results starting in 9 hours. Do you have fan on the product? High Speed?  Cool, dry, and LOTs of air circulation are a pellicler's (another new word?? ;) ) best friends!

YouTube has lots of stuff (where DO people get the time for some of that junk?!?!?) but I'd be surprised to find video of "pellicling"...that'd be right up there with grass growing, stalactite forming, and phonebook editing  ;) ;)