Latest Beef Jerky

Started by nickld, March 06, 2009, 08:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickld

Actually I made this batch about a week and a half ago but am just getting around to posting the photos.

Started out with partially frozen top round london broil sliced at about 3/16"

After slicing and trimming I had about eight pounds.

The dry ingredients:

Mixed in with the wet and into the Reveo:

After spinning in the Vacuum into the refrigerator overnight.
On to the Excalibur trays in into the dehydrator:

Not quite ready yet:

The final results:

I didn't vacuum pack or freeze any as this batch was for me!  ;)
I'll have to make some more soon because I've already eaten most of it! Think I will grind the meat next time and, maybe try Hi-Mountain. This recipe is good for whole muscle slices but would have to be altered for ground meat...

~Nick

FLBentRider

Looks good!

Care to share the recipe ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Up In Smoke

that looks great!
haven't tried whole muscle yet.
do you need to use a cure when doing whole muscle and if not what is the shelf life?
what temp did you dry at? how long?
sorry for all the questions.

have done some ground with open country kit..the hot and spicy is right on the numbers
the Teriyaki needs a little dressing up. (i added 1/2 tsp black pepper and 1/2 tsp white pepper)
for liquid i used 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce, tasted better that way.
haven't tried the high mountain stuff yet.
ha ha spell check can't spell Teriyaki!!!
(neither could i...had to check the bottle) :D

2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

nascarbbq

That looks good I did one last weekend I am going to try your recipe

NePaSmoKer

Looks good.

MMMMMMMM JERKY

nepas

josbocc

Nick,

Looks awesome.  If you're gonna try doing ground beef, you might want to look at Stargazers post about freezing in a cake pan, then slicing on your slicer.

I use Hi-Mtn spices exclusively.  They've got about a dozen great flavors, and it's virtually fool-proof.

Good Luck,

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

nickld

Thanks everyone!  ;D I've been keeping my beef jerky recipe(s) kind of close to the hip. However the contributers and moderators of this forum are so generous that I think Its time to share. Here's what I did the last time...

2 Tbs. Paprika
1 Tbs. Fresh ground black pepper
1 Tbs. Garlic powder
1 Tbs. Onion powder
1 Tbs. Lemon pepper
1 Tbs. Oregano
1 Tbs. Thyme
½ Tbs. Cayenne
¼ Cup Dark brown sugar
½ Cup Soy Sauce
½ Cup Teriyaki sauce
½ Cup Worcestershire sauce
1 Jar (7oz.) Dynasty Spicy Hot Kung Pao Sauce
1 Can (7oz.) Chipotle chiles in adobo
1 Can (6oz.) Pineapple juice
3 Tbs. Liquid smoke

This will make enough to marinate as much meat as I can get into my Reveo. I usually aim for around eight pounds. I usually mix all the marinade ingredients in a blender but my blender doesn't quite have the capacity so I leave out some of the liquid and add it later. I try to aim at having as little marinade left over as possible after placing the meat on the racks. I also have not used a cure or patted the meat dry. Also this does not use the smoker. Hence the liquid smoke.

I use an Excalibur nine tray dehydrator so there is plenty of room. I think I could probably fit twelve pounds if I wanted to. I am one of those, however, who has to look at it from time to time and rotate the trays. It may not be necessary but I like getting into my food! Even then some pieces will finish faster then others. Besides the bend test I use the pinch test to determine when its ready... Kind of something you learn with experience. In all I guess the drying time could be seven to twelve hours depending on conditions.

Not really that hot but that could be (and has been) remedied. It leaves that nice warm feeling inside that just makes you want to eat more!

BTW... Nice to graduate to Junior Member!!!!   ;D  ;D  ;D

~Nick

nickld

Oh... Also, I usually keep my jerky in the refrigerator in zip bags or an airtight container. I suppose it will last a year or more in the fridge. Never kept any around long enough to know really. I've also kept it for two or three months at room temp in an air tight container, no problem.

~Nick

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the recipe.

I have one question. In your recipe is that lemon pepper (only ground pepper and lemon zest/peel); or lemon pepper seasoning salt (which also has salt and other seasonings)?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokeitall

This recipe looks great, thank you for posting it.  I am going to have to give it a try.

Smokin Soon

Some great looking jerky there Nick, that Dynasty Spicy Hot Kung Pao Sauce is used on one of my Asian rib recipes. Tasty stuff. I was also admiring your slicer, as I am using a cheapy Rival. Which model is it and are you happy with it? Easy to clean?