Useful web site.

Started by manxman, January 17, 2005, 04:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

Hi Folks,

Found a useful website with a wealth of information about every conceivable aspect of "fish", predominantly aimed at the UK fishing industry but is a mine of information about the smoking processes including brining (times, concentrations and more), handling, preparation and storage.

Also useful articles on hot and cold smoking, including fish (e.g salmon,haddock, herring, mackerel, other whitefish.) and shellfish (e.g scallops, prawns, mussels), health hazards and much more!

Some information may be specific to the UK but there appears to be a lot of information that is "universal".

www.onefish.org/global/TorryNotesIndex.htm

Manxman.
Manxman

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by manxman</i>
<br />Hi Folks,

Found a useful website with a wealth of information about every conceivable aspect of "fish", predominantly aimed at the UK fishing industry but is a mine of information about the smoking processes including brining (times, concentrations and more), handling, preparation and storage.

Also useful articles on hot and cold smoking, including fish (e.g salmon,haddock, herring, mackerel, other whitefish.) and shellfish (e.g scallops, prawns, mussels), health hazards and much more!

Some information may be specific to the UK but there appears to be a lot of information that is "universal".

www.onefish.org/global/TorryNotesIndex.htm

Manxman.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thanks, Manxman.  I'm thinking we should start a collection of "Useful Websites" to put on the new board that Olds is assembling . . . don't have a coronary, Olds, I'll put it on my to-do list unless someone else is already on it. [:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

tsquared

Excellent link, Manxman, thank you. I went to the salmon page and found this: <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Brining This method is now seldom used commercially because there is no loss of weight during brining, and as a result drying time in the kiln has to be almost doubled to achieve the same total weight loss as for dry salted fillets.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That's why I always dry salt my cold smoked salmon rather than brining them, the drying part takes much longer with brined salmon. What was that old quote about the measure of a man's intelligence being how much he agrees with you?[:)]