It's that time of the year...

Started by HCT, March 07, 2009, 12:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ka Honu

Quote from: Smoking Duck on March 13, 2009, 07:30:49 AMI've always thought that salt can cure anything.  Heck, just look what it does to all the different meats on this forum.  If it can get rid of the nasties in chicken, pork and beef, surely my finger would fit in that spectrum, somewhere  ;D  But, holy mother of God, does it hurt!

Now that brings back some memories... About 30 years ago when I lived on the Big Island (Hawaii), I was fooling around (chasing my girlfriend down the beach) and took a header off a lava wall.  Scraped the hell out of my foot.  Alcohol was involved and it seemed to us that soaking the foot in an Epsom salt solution would be the right thing to do.  It wasn't.  I still have psychic and physical scars from that incident.

IKnowWood

Duck, sorry about the finger and infection.  Not fun.

But honestly.  I done that before.  A small slice with the same tool, no blood.  Then years later, about the same type of slice, but not all done on the motorized meat slicer. Did the NuSkin thing (its about the same as superglue).

But what keeps getting me is my table saw in the shop.  A burn by rubbing the blade (yes when moving).  And once I had a sanding disk on it and sanded a few fingers, one bleed.  Used peroxide for that one.  Did it a few more times and I finally got smart and bought these great shop gloved.  They were sanded a couple times, no damage.  Gloves are now used more often when sanding.  But I still get myself using a sanding block from time to time.

The ones that hurt are when slicing small wood pieces on the table saw, had a block hit my on my forhead once real hard.  small gash.  But once I was cutting long thin strips for doing some inlay, and I pushed wrong and snap, I was hit by about 20 small projectiles.  three stuck into by torso and one in bicep.  and many others made pin pricks.  Man that hurt.  I did that one weekend when wife was away.  I stopped working and cleanup and bandaged myself and hoped bleeding would stop.  It did.  I did not tell wife.  It was one of the more stupid things I did.  Last time I did that!
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Ka Honu

IKW - It would seem that you do indeed "know wood" - far more intimately than most of us would prefer.

Caneyscud

SD,  been there done that with power tools - or tin can lids.  Man those things can be sharp.  Peroxide is the ticket.  Try that and then use an antibotic AND keep covered - bet that cleans it up.  Unless you have a lot of redness extending up into the hand or above, then I'd go pretty soon. 

IKW - sure glad someone else has done some of that.  I like the 2 x 6 that kicked back into my stomach off the table saw.  That was fun.  Didn't know bruises could be so big and so full of colors and it is amazing how little air you actually need for a few minutes.  Ditto on the sanding.  There are times it would be hard for the FBI to get fingerprints.  And tell you what is a lot of fun also - a wire wheel on a 4" grinder meeting up with your thigh - on the bright side, I found another way to make hamburger.  Oh and lets not forget the fun when a 35 pound block of wood rotating at 2000 rpm decides that it doesn't want to be attached to your lathe anymore.  Ever played the game Battling Tops - picture that with 35 pounds of wood!!  Just hope it doesn't want to play with you especially after it has caught on something and if flying through the air!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

IKnowWood

Caney - we indeed have our experienced with wood.  Wire and such, not so much.  I am scared to use a lathe outside of my time in High School.  I already had a bad experience of a bat in the head when I was a kid, the fear is prevented me from going back there. 

My only recent issues are breaking in piles of Walnut sawdust to the point I am spitting it up and wearing it.  There is a toxic response if its persistent so I am spreading exposure time a bit so I don't get the Walnut Condition.  Pretty Nasty from what I hear.
IKnowWood

Ka Honu

Quote from: IKnowWood on March 13, 2009, 05:20:43 PM... toxic response if its persistent so I am spreading exposure time a bit so I don't get the Walnut Condition.

Who knew?  Some walnut trees (especially Balck Walnut) and similar species release a compound (juglone) which may inhibit some other plant growth in the area but I never heard it affected humans and other animals. 

I learn something every day - I only wish I'd known more of it years ago.

IKnowWood

Ka Honu

I just did a bit of research and check this:
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_5_3X_Black_Walnut.asp?sitearea=ETO

The nasty response may actually be due to nut allergies.  As well as possible side affects.  I am interested in the Cancer Possible response.  Course the task of the saw-dust does not appeal to me. Believe me I tasted it.
IKnowWood

Gizmo

Quote from: Smoking Duck on March 13, 2009, 05:17:22 AM
Gonna have to go back to the doc soon.  It looks like it's infected.  I keep trying to push all the crap out of it and then dunk it in a salt solution to kill anything but all that does is make me curse and cry  :o

Duck,
You need to go to the Doc and get on antibiotics before you lose the whole finger and then some.  If there is bacteria in the wound, you don't want to put ointment on it and bandage it up as that will seal the bacteria in. 

For small cuts on fingers, I wrap it with a piece of Masking (paper) Tape and get the tape damp.  Don't know why but it usually draws out any infection.  You might give that a try until you get to the doctors.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Frankly, I am with Gizmo - todays infections are nasty stuff and a lot cheaper to beat sooner than later.  The cheap path is the right treatment. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Smoking Duck

Thanks, guys.  I think I've got the infection under control.  The salt seemed to have killed a lot of it.  Still a little sore but nothing I can't live with.  I think even Mother Theresa would let slip a cuss word if she were to dip an open sore in a salt solution that would make the Dead Sea seem potable.  ;D  But, it's a lot cheaper than the doc's office.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Caneyscud

Quote from: IKnowWood on March 13, 2009, 05:20:43 PM
Caney - we indeed have our experienced with wood.  Wire and such, not so much.  I am scared to use a lathe outside of my time in High School.  I already had a bad experience of a bat in the head when I was a kid, the fear is prevented me from going back there. 

My only recent issues are breaking in piles of Walnut sawdust to the point I am spitting it up and wearing it.  There is a toxic response if its persistent so I am spreading exposure time a bit so I don't get the Walnut Condition.  Pretty Nasty from what I hear.

I worry about that lung stuff also!  To the point that unless I am just roughing out something and making chips - on goes the respirator.  I tend to work on spalted woods often, and don't want those bacteria taking residence in my lungs if I can help it!  I think one could get a sensitivity to almost any wood dust, but some are worse than others.  Of the domestics, I here cedar (juniper) is particularly nasty.  The more of something that goes where it shouldn't I guess the greater chance of sensitivity.  I had to quit raising bees a couple of years ago just because of that!  Usually one developes an immunity to the bee stings, but apparently after a few years I developed a sensitivity.  While mowing a couple of my girls decided to get intimate with my scalp and on my upper cheek.  Knowing those were sensitive places and likely to swell, I immediately went in and took a couple of Benadryl.  Glad I did, because just after the pills I started showing advanced signs of Anaphylactic shock.  Scared the Pee Wally Squat outta me.  Gave my girls and my equipment to a fellow bee brethren.  They are now enjoying life in the country!! 

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

La Quinta

Caney...dang   ;D...you can pontificate :D...very interesting, I must admit!!! But...then again...I'm not very bright...as anyone on here can attest to... ???

Ka Honu

I got hung up on the "Pee Wally Squat" thing.

La Quinta

Yes...uh...I'm glad the kids have the bees now...I did tend bees when I was younger...the buzz always scared me...but the honey making was way kool!!! I did enjoy spinning the combs and watching the honey just fly off!!! It was kool I must admit... :)