Started by justpete, March 11, 2009, 06:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justpete

Hello all from NH. Never used a smoker before. This weekend will be the first.
This site was recommended to me by a friend. Says your a great bunch.
I hope to learn a lot.

KyNola

Welcome Pete!
Lots of good folk on here that are more than happy to help you get up to speed on your new purchase.  Don't be shy and ask plenty of questions.

Above all, have fun!

KyNola

Roadking

Welcome aboard JP. Alot of cool stuff on this site. Ask questions.

aces-n-eights

Hi Pete and welcome.  Lots of good ideas and advice here so don't be shy!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

IKnowWood

Welcome JP.  This weekend your adventure starts.    Don't be afraid to ask questions and alway try to post pictures.  
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Mr Walleye

Hi Just Pete and welcome to the forum.

Like the others have all said you will enjoy yourself around here, lots of friendly folks. Don't be a stranger and let us know how your projects turn out.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  Hope you are skinny now cause you won't be for long! ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Hiya Pete

Welcome to the forum. You will learn allot here from good folks. And if you dont have anything planned for June 20th come on down to NE PA to the smokeout.

nepas

HCT

Hey Pete, welcome aboard. ;)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum justpete!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

justpete

Thanks for the warm welcome. The wife wants a smoked turkey this weekend.
I have research to do and lots to learn in a hurry  ;D

Tenpoint5

Welcome aboard Pete. Go to the recipe site for your Turkey there is a good recipe there to help shorten your learning curve.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

justpete

Thank you I'm on my way

KyNola

Pete,
Best tip for smoking turkey is about the smoker itself.  Make sure your vent is completely open and leave it that way.  Poultry, particularly with skin carries a lot of moisture.  Moisture building up in the tower will cause the heat to not come up to temp.  It will condensate insaide the tower and run out of the box onto whatever your smoker is sitting on.  Momma won't like that.  It can also cause the smoke to back up into your smoke generator, eventually destroying the generator.

Poultry is a sponge when it comes to taking smoke.  First time out, you may want to smoke a shorter period of time than you might think.  You can always adjust the smoke time the next time but you can't take smoke out of a bird.

Have fun and let us know the results!

KyNola 

justpete

Quote from: KyNola on March 12, 2009, 09:55:43 AM
Pete,
Best tip for smoking turkey is about the smoker itself.  Make sure your vent is completely open and leave it that way.  Poultry, particularly with skin carries a lot of moisture.  Moisture building up in the tower will cause the heat to not come up to temp.  It will condensate insaide the tower and run out of the box onto whatever your smoker is sitting on.  Momma won't like that.  It can also cause the smoke to back up into your smoke generator, eventually destroying the generator.

Poultry is a sponge when it comes to taking smoke.  First time out, you may want to smoke a shorter period of time than you might think.  You can always adjust the smoke time the next time but you can't take smoke out of a bird.

Have fun and let us know the results!

KyNola 
Thank you for the advice. I am a bit overwhelmed at this point. Still reading :)