Started by justpete, March 11, 2009, 06:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

No need to feel overwhelmed.  You have a HUGE support group ready to help,.....all of us! :D  A couple more things for you to consider.  Preheat your smoker prior to beginning the smoking/cooking process.  Preheat it with both the smoke generator burner and tower burner on.  I try to preheat mine up to around 280 before beginning because you will lose a LOT of heat when you open the door to put the turkey in.  Be sure to put very hot water in the bowl before beginning.  You might want to place a couple of bricks in the bottom before starting the preheating process.  They will help retain some of the heat and aid in bringing the heat back up once the door is closed.  Don't be dismayed when the temp does not shoot right back up as you are essentially heating with a 500 watt light bulb and you just placed a large mass of cold meat in the box.  Once the heat gets back up to where you want it to be, adjust your smoker accordingly.  One other thing you can do, once you have applied all of the smoke you want on the bird you can transfer it to your house oven and roast it like any other turkey.  Some, including me feel like the heat can be better controlled like that.

Smoke on my friend and don't be afraid to ask for help.  We all have and still do.  That's why we all get along so well.

KyNola

justpete

Thank you again KyNola. I think I'm ready to give it a go.
Brine, Rub, Smoke and finish in the oven. Sounds simple  ;)

KyNola

You're more than welcome Pete.

Let us know how it goes!
KyNola

justpete

Quote from: KyNola on March 13, 2009, 06:22:37 AM
You're more than welcome Pete.

Let us know how it goes!
KyNola
Quick update. The family loved the turkey. The smoker ran hot so I purchased a new thermometer.
This way I can keep a more accurate temp inside the smoker.
All ready for the next smoke. Maybe a pork shoulder.
Thanks for all the help.

beefmann

welcome to the forum pete... lot of good people and advice

KyNola

Pete,
Glad to hear it turned out well.  Got the first smoke under your belt.  On to a pork butt!  A natural progression ;).

As for the thermometer, many of us use a Maverick ET-73.  It is a dual probe unit that measures the box temp as well as the IT of the meat you are cooking.  It also has a remote transmitter that allows you to monitor the temps from inside.  Claims up to 100 feet away, not sure about that though.

Have fun my friend,
KyNola

justpete

Quote from: KyNola on March 20, 2009, 06:27:53 AM
Pete,
Glad to hear it turned out well.  Got the first smoke under your belt.  On to a pork butt!  A natural progression ;).

As for the thermometer, many of us use a Maverick ET-73.  It is a dual probe unit that measures the box temp as well as the IT of the meat you are cooking.  It also has a remote transmitter that allows you to monitor the temps from inside.  Claims up to 100 feet away, not sure about that though.

Have fun my friend,
KyNola
Wow KyNola, It just so happens that my new Maverick ET-73 arrived on Wednesday and I'm going to stop and get a pork shoulder after work tonight. Should be more fun this weekend.
Thanks Peter

KyNola

You are set for a great weekend!

KyNola

Pheasant Hollow Farm

JP

Glad to see you made it, and welcome to the board. I told you that the people here were very out going!

I use 2 Maverick ET-73's when I smoke two different types of meat or pork or poultry.

Good luck with the pork shoulder!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

justpete

Quote from: Pheasant Hollow Farm on March 22, 2009, 03:10:14 AM
JP

Glad to see you made it, and welcome to the board. I told you that the people here were very out going!

I use 2 Maverick ET-73's when I smoke two different types of meat or pork or poultry.

Good luck with the pork shoulder!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Thank you Steve.

The people here have been great. I'm still doing a lot of reading.

You know me. Always read first and ask questions later.

Five more hours and I should know how the shoulder comes out.
Peter