A new hello to everyone

Started by atrueman, January 17, 2005, 09:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atrueman

Been using a BS in United Kingdom for the last eight months.

Concentrating on cold smoked salmon, smoked trout pate, and smoked bacon.

All are working well.

Smoked chicken is also a real treat.

Just cooked my first pastrami but waiting for an old new yorker who lives over here to give me an honest opinion. It taste fine to me.

I intend to visit the forum every day as the information and advice flowing around is fantastic.

Regards to everyone i hope to correspond with some of you later.

Alan

alan

Warrior

Welcome...  I am also new to the forum, as well smoking.  Everyone seems very willing to help out and to provide advise when and where needed.

Again, welcome.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

welcome both of you to the forum.[:D]

MAKE SURE TO SIGN UP FOR THE FREE GIVEAWAY!! GO HERE.http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=991

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by atrueman</i>
<br />Been using a BS in United Kingdom for the last eight months.

All are working well.

Just cooked my first pastrami but waiting for an old new yorker who lives over here to give me an honest opinion. It taste fine to me.

I intend to visit the forum every day as the information and advice flowing around is fantastic.

Alan

alan
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Welcome to the Forum, Alan!  Glad you'll be joining us.  It's a great bunch of folks--no question is too basic and no mistake hasn't already been made by more than one of us here . . . [:D]

I've posted a terrific pate recipe that I use for salmon, steelhead, and bluefish.  I'm always looking for something new to try, and I'm not sure if my recipe will be as good on trout.  Would you please post that pate recipe here?  Be careful--Olds might scoop it up for the the newbie board!   [;)][:D]  I'd also love to hear how you cold smoke your salmon.

Hey Olds--what are you going to name that board?  Newbie Board, FAQs, New Users Start Here, ???

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Chez Bubba

Alan,

I looked everywhere & can't find your <b>old</b> hello.[;)]

If you haven't noticed yet, I'm the boards' resident smartass.[:D]

And welcome to the forum, I look forward to learning your experiences.[:)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

BigSmoker

Welcome to the forum[:D].

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

nsxbill

Welcome to the forum..ditto about finding a great source of info...Something new everyday...mispelled sometimes, but still good information! [:D]

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">...mispelled sometimes [:D]

Bill
That's because we're too busy eating to spell-check[:D][:D][:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

Greetings atrueman!

While Chez Bubba is the boards' resident smartass, I'm the resident thief!

If you have one or a few even many proven recipes that you would like to have added to our data base please post it/ them. I will then  added it/ them our data base.

If you would like to see what we have gotten done so far then go to http://www.susanminor.org/index2.html Click in the link "Bradley Smokers Here."

At the moment I'm using posting boards to catagorize with sub board the items. I'm doing it this way for two reasons. First it is easy on me to set up and manage. For example <b>bsolomon</b> did an excellent piece on the types of woods and what to use them on. Next <b>JJC</b> a few days later did an excellent Wood Flavor Chart. By using a board system it was easy to add JJC's work to bsolomon's.

Futhermore, the board allow nsxbill to proof read and make any corrections without having to mess with HTML and a FTP program.  When we are through the end project will be Smokers FAQ in the form of a static page with sub-links. I'm not sure of what we will really call it yet--maybe we will have a contest for that! [:D][:p]

There is one OPEN posting board there that you make post to or make any suggestions. The rest are read only boards.

Again welcome to this place~~!
Olds

BTW Now you know why I'm the resident thief! Post a recipe and I've got it LOL!!![:D]

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
While Chez Bubba is the boards' resident smartass, I'm the resident thief!
That's what I love about this guy--he doesn't mind pleading guilty! [:D]

Hey, Olds--you've got mail!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

atrueman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by atrueman</i>
<br />Been using a BS in United Kingdom for the last eight months.

All are working well.

Alan

alan
Welcome to the Forum, Alan!  Glad you'll be joining us.  It's a great bunch of folks--no question is too basic and no mistake hasn't already been made by more than one of us here . . . [:D]

I've posted a terrific pate recipe that I use for salmon, steelhead, and bluefish.  I'm always looking for something new to try, and I'm not sure if my recipe will be as good on trout.  Would you please post that pate recipe here?  Be careful--Olds might scoop it up for the the newbie board!   [;)][:D]  I'd also love to hear how you cold smoke your salmon.

Hey Olds--what are you going to name that board?  Newbie Board, FAQs, New Users Start Here, ???

John
Newton MA

alan

atrueman

thanks for the interest in english smoked trout pate and cold smoked salmon.

8oz warm smoked trout fillet ( not cured and smoked at lower temperature till cooked pink)

4oz of cold smoked salmon

4oz of cream cheese

Squirt of lemon juice

Blend together add a dash of "fromage fraise" or cream and put into small tubs.   Freezers well if you want

Serve with hot toast and small amount of salad.

The abscence of other ingredients really lets the flavour through.

Cold smoking salmon is fairly easy particularly if the fish is good

Take a side of slamon with all bones removes. A cheap pair of small pliers are useful.

Mix together 1lb of salt with 1lb of sugar and put on a plastic tray.

Place the fish on the mixture with the skin upwards. Make sure that the fish is in full contact and pile any spare mixture to the sides and on top of the fish. A small fat board with a bit of weight will help the moisture leave the fish. Leave overnight, wash the fish and hang to dry for a few hours. Cold smoke the fish for about 4 hours. Slice very thinly. (Odd bits use in the smoked trout pate)

The method of cold smoking is to seperate the smoke generator from the box by introducing a intermediate chamber. John Watkins demonstates this on the UK website. Towards the end of the paragraph on cold smoking there is a link. John is using a cardboard box and a tumble dryer hose. I have made something a little more substantial but the idea is the same

Traditionally Scottish smoked salmon would smoked in oak. I have tried maple and apple with good results. A bit of rich brown suger in cure is another option.Good smoked salmon is raw in appearance but highly prized in the UK.

Hot smoked salmon is virtually unheard of in the UK.

Perhaps I hope to make my name with some of the fasinating dishes you Americans and Canadians have produced.

Regards

Alan.

alan

Oldman

atrueman Thanks for your recipe. I had one heck of a time trying to find out what fromage fraise was. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe your spelling is English and the French spell it fromage frais.  Here is where I have added it to the recipe data base:

http://www.susanminor.org/cgi-bin/iB3/ikonboard.cgi?s=964565cbc2c78f299ad671adda3ce159;act=ST;f=17;t=115

<font size="4"><font color="red"><b>atruemans' recipe is added!!</b></font id="red"></font id="size4">

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by atrueman</i>
<br />thanks for the interest in english smoked trout pate and cold smoked salmon.

8oz warm smoked trout fillet ( not cured and smoked at lower temperature till cooked pink)

4oz of cold smoked salmon

4oz of cream cheese

Squirt of lemon juice

Blend together add a dash of "fromage fraise" or cream and put into small tubs.   Freezers well if you want

Serve with hot toast and small amount of salad.

The abscence of other ingredients really lets the flavour through.

Cold smoking salmon is fairly easy particularly if the fish is good

Take a side of slamon with all bones removes. A cheap pair of small pliers are useful.

Mix together 1lb of salt with 1lb of sugar and put on a plastic tray.

Place the fish on the mixture with the skin upwards. Make sure that the fish is in full contact and pile any spare mixture to the sides and on top of the fish. A small fat board with a bit of weight will help the moisture leave the fish. Leave overnight, wash the fish and hang to dry for a few hours. Cold smoke the fish for about 4 hours. Slice very thinly. (Odd bits use in the smoked trout pate)

The method of cold smoking is to seperate the smoke generator from the box by introducing a intermediate chamber. John Watkins demonstates this on the UK website. Towards the end of the paragraph on cold smoking there is a link. John is using a cardboard box and a tumble dryer hose. I have made something a little more substantial but the idea is the same

Traditionally Scottish smoked salmon would smoked in oak. I have tried maple and apple with good results. A bit of rich brown suger in cure is another option.Good smoked salmon is raw in appearance but highly prized in the UK.

Hot smoked salmon is virtually unheard of in the UK.

Perhaps I hope to make my name with some of the fasinating dishes you Americans and Canadians have produced.

Regards

Alan.

alan
Alan,

This is great stuff!  The Forum is already starting to take on an international flavor [:D] with the recipes you and a couple of our other international brethren have provided!

I was intrigued by your desciption of an intermediate chamber between the smoke generator and the main chamber to facilitate a cold smoke.  I had a thought that might be helpful to Olds, Duck-man, and those in the South, as well to some of us Northerners who might want to make cold-smoked foods in the hot summer months:  could the intermediate chamber containe a tray of ice, or even one of those small, flat  "blue ice" blocks to help keep the temp down?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

tsquared

JJC re the intermediate chamber for cold smoke.-- I use an old Little Chief smoker that i inherited from my father for an intermediate chamber. I cut a hole in the side so the BS smoke generator slides in and put a piece of dryer hose out the top that I slid onto a 90 degree piece of ducting. I slide the BS generator into the side of the Little Chief, stick the dryer hose in the top and shove the duct into the side of the BS. I put the water bowl in the Little chief to extinguish the pucks. The temp never goes over 5 degrees above the ambient, so even in 80 degree weather, you would be fine to cold smoke. Cold smoking salmon is the main reason I originally bought my BS. Hanging out with these characters on this board has led me to smoke all kinds of other things, I  am still over the moon about how well my cold smoke salmon turns out.
Tom