A new hello to everyone

Started by atrueman, January 17, 2005, 09:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tsquared</i>
<br />JJC re the intermediate chamber for cold smoke.-- I use an old Little Chief smoker that i inherited from my father for an intermediate chamber. I cut a hole in the side so the BS smoke generator slides in and put a piece of dryer hose out the top that I slid onto a 90 degree piece of ducting. I slide the BS generator into the side of the Little Chief, stick the dryer hose in the top and shove the duct into the side of the BS. I put the water bowl in the Little chief to extinguish the pucks. The temp never goes over 5 degrees above the ambient, so even in 80 degree weather, you would be fine to cold smoke. Cold smoking salmon is the main reason I originally bought my BS. Hanging out with these characters on this board has led me to smoke all kinds of other things, I  am still over the moon about how well my cold smoke salmon turns out.
Tom
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sounds great, Tom.  I think I have an old Lil Chief hanging around somewhere.  Do you have any pics you could post?  I'm also curious why the duct comes out of the top of the Lil Chief and then goes into the BS.  Is that to catch the rising smoke?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by atrueman</i>
<br />......and smoked bacon.

Now that my kind of smoker, BACON[:p].

Welcome Allen.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

JJC

Gotta love the way Duck-man reduces something to its true and simplest form!  Truly an awesome talent I wish I had! [8D][8D][8D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

manxman

Hi Folks,

Used the John Watkins/Grakka method of separating the smoke generator from the smoke box to cold smoke a variety of things last night (Cheddar, blue cheese, olives, garlic, butter, quail eggs, sea salt - various ideas picked up off the internet) and found it excellent.

As mentioned elsewhere temperature never went more than a couple of degrees above ambient, in this instance not more than around 9decC/49degF and never even registered on the BS door thermometer.

Took care to cut a big enough hole in the cardboard box for the smoke generator to sit in to make sure their was virtually no risk of the cardboard box igniting and at the end of smoking there was no sign of charring on the box and it never got particularly hot, just warm. I will be able to reuse it.

Found wrapping a damp cloth around the base of the tumble dryer hose where it exits the top of the cardboard box (to catch the rising smoke)to take the smoke to the smoker reduced what little smoke loss there was in this area despite my careful cutting of the hole!

Just put the BS box bit itself on the patio table to raise it above the smoke generator, bringing it up to a perfect height for loading and unloading the food.

All in all very impressed, just letting the various goodies I tried smoking sit in the fridge for a couple of days before sampling.[:D]

Manxman.
Manxman

BigSmoker

Manxman,
If your going to cold smoke a smaller amount of stuff I've had good success adding ice to the puck catcher then a tray of ice on the bottom or next to bottom rack and my food product above that.  Glad your having fun.

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

atrueman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by manxman</i>
<br />Hi Folks,

Used the John Watkins/Grakka method of separating the smoke generator from the smoke box to cold smoke a variety of things last night (Cheddar, blue cheese, olives, garlic, butter, quail eggs, sea salt - various ideas picked up off the internet) and found it excellent.

As mentioned elsewhere temperature never went more than a couple of degrees above ambient, in this instance not more than around 9decC/49degF and never even registered on the BS door thermometer.

Took care to cut a big enough hole in the cardboard box for the smoke generator to sit in to make sure their was virtually no risk of the cardboard box igniting and at the end of smoking there was no sign of charring on the box and it never got particularly hot, just warm. I will be able to reuse it.

Found wrapping a damp cloth around the base of the tumble dryer hose where it exits the top of the cardboard box (to catch the rising smoke)to take the smoke to the smoker reduced what little smoke loss there was in this area despite my careful cutting of the hole!

Just put the BS box bit itself on the patio table to raise it above the smoke generator, bringing it up to a perfect height for loading and unloading the food.

All in all very impressed, just letting the various goodies I tried smoking sit in the fridge for a couple of days before sampling.[:D]

Manxman.

alan

atrueman

good to see that Manxman is really giving the cold smoking some treatment.

Cheese and garlic really benefit from the lack of heat.

I am intrigued by the mention of ice in the process. Still i live in a climate that rarely experiences high temperature and as Manxman lives about 60 miles west of me over a small stretch of sea I'm sure he don't have too much trouble either.

Sorry about the speeling of frais ( or fraise) I'm sure you are right but the French have funny ways of spelling food largely depending on whether it's male or female eating it.

Do we have a member smoker in Quebec who can clear up the matter.

By the way do any of you Canadians have any inside info on the NHL. I really miss getting up at 2am to watch the Maple leafs or Redwings

Back to business: This weekends smoke is local cock pheasant and some rabbit

Not before i've tried some of Manxmans sea salt

Best wishes to everyone

Alan

alan

manxman

Hi folks,

BigSmoke....thanks for the info. about the ice, may be useful in the height of summer but even then we rarely get ambient temperatures above 30 degC! Wet and windy is the normal! I may give it a try as an alternative to the Grakka cold smoke method and compare at some stage.

Alan, if you are giving sea salt a try I spread it out thinly on greaseproof paper when smoking. As it is a dessicant I found I had to put it in the oven at around 90 - 100 degC for a short while afterwards to dry it out.

Manxman.
Manxman