Smoked Specialty Cheese

Started by Scotty-G, May 03, 2009, 12:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty-G

Had a chance to make some cold smoked cheeses the other day - Mozzarella, Jack and Extra Sharp Cheddar

After a few hrs of apple, into vacuum bags they went for a 2 week rest.

Took some of the smoked extra sharp cheddar and vacuum marinated it in Merlot.

Got a real nice smokey, wine smell.  By itself, a little intense in flavor but on crackers - WOW!
Taste test at work being prep'd for tomorrow.

manxman

QuoteTook some of the smoked extra sharp cheddar and vacuum marinated it in Merlot.

Interesting, how much merlot did you add??  :)
Manxman

Scotty-G

Quote from: manxman on May 03, 2009, 12:32:53 PM
Interesting, how much merlot did you add??  :)

Until the blocks of cheese were covered.

Smokin Soon

That sounds like a future plan for me. Thanks!

Habanero Smoker

This does sound interesting. How long did you marinate the cheese?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

IKnowWood

Funny to see this, at grocery store this Saturday we were getting some cheeses for dinner (just cheese and cracker, but lunch) and we ran across a red wine marinated Cheese.  I think the cheese was a dryer Goat Cheese with a nice deep red rind on it.  I thought it was odd to see a wine marinated / aged cheese.  The cheddar does sound good however.

But could not pass up the Stilton with Lemon and Blueberry, those were excellent.  And smoked swiss was nice.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Scotty-G

As the story goes, my great grandfather back in black forest of Germany had a hugh wheel of cheese and he would wash/bathe it in wine and salt regularly - only taking a small piece at a time.  Wine cheese is not uncommon but typically I've seen it as a soft, spreadable cheese made with port wine. 

That's were the inspiration came from except following the time honord tradition of "enie, menie, mine, moe" I went with extra sharp cheddar out of my batches of smoked cheese.  Not wanting to waste an expensive wine I went with a bottle of $2-Chuck.  For those without a Trader Joe's in your area, it's an inexpensive wine ($1.99 US) from Charles Shaw Winery in CA that it isn't that bad.  For those in the know and access . . . :)

I marinated the smoked cheese and wine in a vacuum marinating tub under a vacuum for 1 week in the fridge.

Taste test at work went great.  The Merlot Cheddar is gone.  Glad I didn't bring all of it in, still have some at home for me  ;)
All the different smoked cheeses, some homemade canadian bacon and crackers made for great snacks all day long.  :P