cold smoke ribeye

Started by Brisket Lover, March 14, 2009, 09:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brisket Lover

forgive me for not searching but I'm on my phone.  temps are around 40 and I want to make ribeyes tonight.

is this cold enough to safely cold smoke?

how long should I go for? I was thinking 2 pucks of mesquite?

thanks

Ka Honu

I usually cold-smoke at higher ambient temps than 40o with no problem using a bowl of ice to keep the box temp down.  Also, unplug the main heating element rather than just leaving the slide in the "off" position.  Depending on how smoky you want your steak, 2 pucks of a "strong" wood like hickory or mesquite should be fine.  I prefer a slightly lighter smoke taste so usually use 2; sometimes SWMBO asks for more smoke so I use 3 to keep her happy.

Up In Smoke

40 degrees should be fine,
i use a lighter smoke like apple or cherry on ribeyes, usually do 3 pucks
then onto the grill they go.
hope this helps.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

westexasmoker

I'm with UISakaSR!

Ambient temp is not that important, hit'em with some smoke then off to the grill!  Matter a fact, I've got a couple to do tonight myself!  I don't go with a cold smoke though...220 for 1 hour smoke then straight to the grill!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

West Coast Kansan

As a variation, when you have time you can cold smoke steaks or prime rib for a couple of hours and then seal them up nice and let them rest in the fridge overnight.  It makes a surprising difference in the smoke flavor. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Brisket Lover

I got them in now holding around 60 degrees and its my first time using mesquite!

westexasmoker

Quote from: brisket_lover on March 14, 2009, 03:58:16 PM
I got them in now holding around 60 degrees and its my first time using mesquite!

Mmmmm...Mmmmm....Mesquite!  ::)

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smokin Soon

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on March 14, 2009, 03:31:06 PM
As a variation, when you have time you can cold smoke steaks or prime rib for a couple of hours and then seal them up nice and let them rest in the fridge overnight.  It makes a surprising difference in the smoke flavor. 

That's what I do to prepare for a "tomorrow grill" and it works great! As for what wood, it's a personal preference. The good side is that they are all good! Even the WTS "MessyWood"! Some like the lighter
smokes like the Apple or Maple or Pecan. Oak is a heavier smoke flavor like Mesquite in my opinion. Once you learn what you really like you can do some mixed smokes of your favorites.