Let's get it on...

Started by NoCaSmoka, March 15, 2009, 10:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoCaSmoka

New Bradley original on wednesday.  Seasoned on thursday.  Little Costco cart on friday.  Smokin' on saturday.  Mmmmm!

So....  Mrs. NoCaSmoka couldn't find brisket or a butt at Costco on her run on friday.  Came home with 2 tri-tips (2 lbs each) and a 3-pack of little pork loin roasts (about 1-3/4 lbs each - like little footballs).  But the black box on the deck is calling.  Folks are coming over to eat on saturday anyway, so no time for a long and slow.  Make the best of it, I say.

Saturday morning at 9am - dry rub both tri-tips and one porker with some homemade oven-rib-rub I made last year.  Don't remember what's in it.  Tastes pretty good, though.  Kinda sweet and hot.  Into the fridge with ya'.

3pm.  Pork goes in at 200 +/- with alternating hickory and apple pucks.  It's what I have.

4pm.  Tri-tips go in.

6pm.  Tri-tips out, foiled, covered resting.

6:30pm.  Pork is 152 IT.  Foiled, covered, resting.  Tri-tips on the grill smokin' hot.  One medium.  One medium rare.

7pm.  Demolition derby time with some oven roasted new potatoes with rosemary and garlic, collard greens (Mrs. Smoka's special recipe finished with mascarpone OMG!), tomato-cuke-sweet onion-rice wine vinegar salad.  A bottle each of a California merlot and pinot noir.  Even Miss "I-don't-like-smoke-flavor" was face down in the trough.

The pork was succulent, smoky, a little tang from the rub, and just past medium - no pink.

The tri-tip was the best I've eaten.  And living in Cali - the home of Santa Maria "BBQ" tri-tip, that's saying something.  Very noticeable smoke.  In a good way!

So, this is a long introduction of myself.  But in terms I think folks here understand.  I thought about pics after the dishes were washed.  Sorry.

--Chris in Pair-O'-Dice
Chris in Pair-O'-Dice

HCT

Hi Chris, Welcome. You were supposed to invite all of us for your first smoke. ;) :)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

josbocc

Chris,

Sounds like a great success, and well narrated.  Welcome to the forum.  Tons of great advice here, never be afraid to ask for some.  Once you get comfortable, gotta try some ABT's!!!

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

NoCaSmoka

Quote from: HCT on March 15, 2009, 10:49:56 AM
Hi Chris, Welcome. You were supposed to invite all of us for your first smoke. ;) :)

You mean your DOGS??? :o

I have 3 big moocher-mutts of my own.  Happy ones, if you know what I mean.  With smoky dog breath.  ;)

And what, pray tell, are ABT's??

Not so good with the arcane jargon of smoke.  Yet.
Chris in Pair-O'-Dice

josbocc

NoCaSmoka,

ABT is short for Atomic Buffalo Turds.  I'm not really good at this whole "linking" thing, but I'll try..., http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.  They are jalepano peppers, meat of your choice, cream cheese, and bacon.  Wonderful little creations.

Just do a search on the page provided, and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

NoCaSmoka

Thanks, Jeff.

Yeah, I have a SoCal friend who makes those.  Don't remember if he uses that name, though.  He thought they were too hot.  I am a "professional" fire eater, though - habaneros are my favorite chile.  Those are on my list.  I've actually made the same things and dropped 'em into the deep fryer.  Not smoky.  But fried.  Mmmmmm - fried turds.  Atomic!

Anyone try smoking OFS's?  (Thought I'd try some jargon myself.  Hee hee.)  "Other Folks Sausages", that is.  There's a store up here that makes fresh (uncooked) sausage.  "Gourmet" stuff.  Italian, andouille, chicken-green chile.  You name it.  I was thinking about buying some and smoking them.  No preservatives in 'em, so I'm thinking give 'em a couple of hours at 200.  Or something like that.  I guess I could shish-kebab one on a thermometer like a corn dog and go until they reach 180+.  You think?

So many experiments.  So few week-ends.  Alas.

Chris in Pair-O'-Dice
Chris in Pair-O'-Dice

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum NoCaSmoka!

Sounds like you have a handle on the smoking thing.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NoCaSmoka

Quote from: FLBentRider on March 15, 2009, 01:00:13 PM
Sounds like you have a handle on the smoking thing.

Hmmmmm. :-\  My OBS must be broken....can't find the handle anywheres.   ;D
Chris in Pair-O'-Dice

West Coast Kansan

Welcome N C S, you hit the ground running ... let us know how things work out..

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Roadking

Welcome aboard!! Great members here. Just say 3 Hail Mary's and all is forgiven about no pics.   :D

NoCaSmoka

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on March 15, 2009, 01:29:34 PM
Welcome N C S, you hit the ground running ... let us know how things work out..

Thanks.  Actually sat thru most of it.  Mrs. NCS and a guest did the clean-up.  Yeah!

This morning after a couple of cups of fresh roasted Panama coffee (been roasting my own for several years now) things worked out fine!

Oh, you mean..... :-[ ;)
Chris in Pair-O'-Dice

Smokin Soon

Where ya from NoCa? not too many of us here. I think it's just me and Nickld and we are both Bay Area.

Caneyscud

Quote from: NoCaSmoka on March 15, 2009, 11:51:38 AM

So many experiments.  So few week-ends.  Alas.

Somebody ought to write a country song!  Common affliction!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Caneyscud

NC

I'll say welcome first then I will whine!  That is a great first smoke, but you only get one free pass with no pics!  Those little pork roasts are fun.  I try to do each one different.  Brining them can really put them into another level of goodness.  The whining comes from frustration of not being able to find any tri tips around here - Nashville - appears you Cally guys hog them all - so to speak!!!  Looking forward to many more great posts from NoCa.

Speaking of Ca.  The wifey wants to go to San Fran soon.  Anybody have any suggestions of where, when, how, and what to see!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Roadking

Went to Calf. once. Too hot there, in the summer it's hot and in the winter the natives of Cal. set the forests on fire to keep the heat up.  :D