Smoked Sausage and Potatoe Soup

Started by Smoking Duck, March 15, 2009, 11:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

I made this the other day when my camera was broken.  It is definitely a keeper!

1/2 stick butter
1 small onion, diced
2 medium carrots, diced about the same size as the onion (This is optional; I'm the only one in the family that likes carrots so I didn't use this but would if it were for me)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
8 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed (you can use any potato really)
4 cups milk, whole, reduced fat (2 percent) or low fat (1 percent) ( I only use whole but all would work)
2 chicken bouillon cubes, dissolved in 1/2 cup hot milk
1 cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pound smoked sausage
Crumbled bacon bits, for garnish
Grated smoked sharp Cheddar, for garnish
Dill sprigs, optional garnish

Directions

I smoked up the sausage with two hours of hickory and then fried them up on the stove so they would be firmer when cutting into pieces.

In a 4-quart saucepan, melt the butter and saute the onion and carrots until both are slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the potatoes, milk, and dissolved bouillon cubes. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are very soft and some of them have begun to dissolve into mush. Add the half-and-half, salt, and pepper.

Chop smoked sausage roughly into big chunks. Add the sausage to the soup and stir well. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes. Serve soup sprinkled with bacon bits and grated cheese. Garnish with dill sprigs, if desired.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

Sounds good, I'm making ham, cabbage, potato, carrot, onion and smoked sausage soup right now, boy does it smell good.