Newbie*

Started by Fuzzybear, January 26, 2004, 12:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzybear

Hey guys!
I've been lurking here all day...read all kinds of nice stuff - here's my story:

Been hot smoking for 10+ years using an electric Maco and a Brinkman..been wanting to purchase The B.S. for about 3 years since first eyeballing it in the Cabela's catalog but was to cheap to spend $399 plus shipping.

So, the years past and my MECO? (labels worn off) finally pooped out/corroded/electrical short so I took the plunge...ws even considering the Egg and the Cookshack

Read a lot of posts (thanks! some things to look forward to), googled Bradley Smoker, visited my local BBQ shop, came back and compared 5 (3 won out) different suppliers....
Chez Bubba- great price on the $360 deal but no cover + shipping - Sorry Chez but I'm cheap...how I wanted it was $410 - a great price
The Barbecue Store - by the time I added the cover and the bisquettes it came to $413 with shipping...also a good price compared to retail, however, the winning contender was:  www.americasbestbarbecue.com...
$375 for the smoker with cover + $23 for a 48 pack apple bisquettes and no sales tax and no shipping...total price $398.40.[:D

I feel a little bad as Chez has great recs from this forum but as I said, I'm cheap![^]

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Chez Bubba

Fuzzy,

No problem on the decision-making, welcome to the Bradley community. We would have gladly substituted a cover for the 60-pack, even rebated you the $6.14 difference in price. I'm not sure how it is they claim the cover is "a $39.95 value". I guess we're selling them below cost.[:0]

12 bucks on the initial purchase may make sense to you, and I appreciate that. But if they're selling covers for $17 more than us and 48-packs for almost $4 more, who really shows the value. Add to that that we offer all of our smoker customers a 10% lifetime discount on bisquettes.

We actually use the product we sell & are happy to talk to anyone about any aspect of using the Bradley. I'm guessing their 800 operators wouldn't be able to answer many of your questions.

Anyhow, you're going to love your smoker once you get it and use it a few times. As I said before, welcome, hopefully you will continue to post your experiences so we can all share the passion.

Happy Smokin',

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

Yeah, Kirk!  Thanks for the input - I was shopping bottom line on everything...I'm expecting delivery by or about 2/6/2004... Like I said, places I went were within 10 bucks delivered to my front door.

In any event, I will be purchasing the spacers from your site and of course will be looking for deals on the wood where I can find them.  My local store (Barbecues Galore) retails the 36 packs at an outrageous price of $29.95!!! (plus tax of 8.2%)So, as you can see, it's not financially healthy to purchase locally out here in California.

Chickens/salmon/albacore/bluefin/yellowtail/jerky will be my primary considerations for it. Everything after that will be an experiment.

Chez Bubba

Got your order, thank you, Anne will call you tomorrow. Unless we get another 18" of snow, we'll send it out tomorrow and you'll probably get it before your smoker arrives.

Hate to point out another chink in the competitions' armor, but hey, when it's slow & in the middle of the plate, you gotta swing.[:)]

Thanks again,

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Kummok

After 53 years of trial and error purchasing, I've finally learned that the immediate value of "cheap" is far outweighed by the benefits of "trust", "reliability", and "service". I don't know anything about "America's Best BBQ" regarding trust and service, but I do know about Chez Bubba's reputation in that area.....untarnished!

I don't see any other retailer giving free advice and a constant presence to us "probies" on the Bradley Forum. For my money, I'll stick with what I know....for value added purchasing, my $$ goes to Chez Bubba!!

Not slammin your choice, Fuzzy Bear, but this forum is the place to share both needs and experiences and my own experience is, to paraphrase Forrest Gump.....Cheap is as Cheap does!!  [;)]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Richard Pearce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kummok</i>
<br /><b><font color="red">Cheap is as Cheap does!!</font id="red"></b>  [;)]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="1"><font color="blue">You said it well! I don't see anyone else giving advice like Kirk and that includes Bradley![</font id="blue"></font id="size1"></font id="Comic Sans MS">8D]
Richard Pearce

Fuzzybear

Well guys, I'll fill you in on the progress...it is now day 3 since placing the order from american bbq... right now, service is what I expect - 10-15 days for delivery - apparently, american bbq places the order with the factory distribution warehouse and that's where it's shipped from - they don't have them in stock like Chez Bubba.

<font color="blue">(Points for Chez Bubba on stocking and immediate delivery</font id="blue">)[:D]

It will be a good comparison for future shoppers!  Sometimes you just have to give things a try... this is all about learning, right????

I understand completely regarding service - Chez Bubba has already outdone themselves with my order on the spacers and wood - shipped yesterday and ordered on Tuesday! (More points!)[;)]

MallardWacker

Fuzzy,

Bought my BS from "Americas Best..." also just before Christmas.  I got a bit nervous because of the time of year and such.  Emailed them and had a VERY quick responce, told me everything I needed to know.  I have accually talked to them on the phone also.  I have had 20 years of customer service behind me and I was quite satisfied with them.  Everything came in just like they said it would.  I don't think you made a bad choice.

When trying to locate a place to purchase my BS, EVERYONE I talked to said they would have to order it from the distribution center.  I don't think you are experiencing anything out of the norm.  Mine came in sooner that what the distribution center said it would.

I am also quite happy with "Bubba Dude" his help and suggestions on this site has saved me alot of time.  I will purchase from him in the future just for that.  (however those bubba pucks are a bit pricey, come on-how about a sale???)

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have...

SmokeOn,

mski

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Fuzzybear

MallardWacker?  I like Duck Killer better! - Tease![:D]

Anyway, glad to hear you had a good experience with them - I appreciate your words....[;)]

Glendora, CA - USA!

Fuzzybear

Update:

February 02, 2004 - no smoker yet.............

Glendora, CA - USA!

poorman

<b></b><font face="Script MT Bold"></font id="Script MT Bold"><font size="3"></font id="size3"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">[:D]To Fuzzybear and all mebers, hi I am a newbie to this forum. I all so been smoking for a number of years, all ways wanted an up right smoker like the Bradley. I went on line in search of the smoker. Well Fuzzybear I found it in sunny Cal. a Bradley smoker with a cover, video, and a box of 48 pack of wood for $349.00 with no shipping charges or tax. The name of this store is The West Coast Store. My smoker is coming on 02/03/04 I have been tracking it on the UPS site. Well hope it gets a little warmer around here so I can do some smoking.

Fuzzybear

Wow!  

What a deal, what a deal! [:D]

I would have had to pay sales tax as I live in CA but still.....

Glendora, CA - USA!

Fuzzybear

The West Coast Store currently has it listed for $399.95 so you got a 50 dollar deal somewhere poorman!

Glendora, CA - USA!

Fuzzybear

The West Coast Store currently has it listed for $399.95 so you got a 50 dollar deal somewhere poorman!

Glendora, CA - USA!

MallardWacker

Fuzzybear,

Have you called Americas Best BBQ, what did they say?  I had such a good experience there, I'm just a bit surprised.  Everyone there whether on the phone or by e-mail were so nice and helpful.  If they are having problems I'd like to know so I don't shaft anyone else about my suggestions.  

The best price on the wood bisquets that I have found are from Jack's Country Store, they are in Washington State.  Very nice people, shipped the same day.  120 box 39.95, minimal shipping

Let me know..

SmokeOn,

mski

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...