Smoke & Excitement - That's a good thing!

Started by Sauce Bauce, January 19, 2005, 11:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauce Bauce

<center></center>
<font color="maroon">  I am starting to feel like when I was a little kid.  Filled with excitement in anticipation of getting my BS set up and seeing the SMOKE!

I know you guys well enough by now to know that you felt that way, too and I think some of you still feel that way! I can't wait to show you my first smoke!  A lifelong friend has already bought him a butt to be included in the first smoke.

I'm crazy about this forum!  Just can't stay away from it. </font id="maroon">

MallardWacker

Finally!  A ARKY Convert!

Welcome SB, welcome and don't make yourself a stranger around here.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

nsxbill

Although I am lusting for the Caldera knock-down smoker from BBQGuru, the Bradley is one of the easiest-to-use smokers I have owned.  I know you will enjoy it, and do good things with it.  You sound like you enjoy cooking.  I started pretty late in life making the transition from just BBQ to actually becoming an apprentice cook in the househol, inspired by the Food Network.  I like to cook 2 or 3 times a week now.  

My wife likes more basic stuff, and hold back tears, doesn't really enjoy smoked meat as much as I do.  She does like the ribs, however.  I like the addition of sauces and reductions for garnish, etc..., and don't mind spending a bit of time in preparation for the meal, in advance.  That is the one shortcoming I see from the BS...no drippings to make gravy.  I did pick up 3 vertical roasters for chicken that have little bowls underneath.  Haven't had time to try them yet... vertical chicken hasn't been added to the menu yet![:D][:D]

Welcome to the forum again, and let us know about your experiences with the BS.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

JJC

Hey,

Anyone on the Forum older than Sauce Bauce?  We already know who the COLDEST smokers are, now who are the OLDEST smokers? [;)]  Truth in advertising requires me to state that I will be 53 years old on my next birthday . . .

And BTW, Chez, shouldn't there be a limit on the number of Arkansans we allow on the Forum? [;)][:D][;)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />That is the one shortcoming I see from the BS...no drippings to make gravy.  I did pick up 3 vertical roasters for chicken that have little bowls underneath.  Haven't had time to try them yet... vertical chicken hasn't been added to the menu yet![:D][:D]

Bill
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Bill,

I had pretty good luck getting gravy from my smoked turkey on Thanksgiving.  I put a small pan the bird (not unlike the drip bowl you mentioned) that had a 50/50 mix of apple juice and water, along with a quartered onion in it.  I estimated the amount of water I needed based on how much water evaporates from the main drip bowl in the chamber in a 4 hr period when I go to empty the spent pucks and change the water.  After the 4 hr period, I quickly checked how much liquid had evaporated from my "gravy bowl" and replenished it with water.  I had a nice supply of smoked apple/onion-flavored drippings at the end.  Since the skin stays rubbery when you use this method, I finished the bird off in the oven, collecting the juices that came out  in the oven and adding them to the smoked dripping mix to make the gravy (well, OK, I turn it over to my wife and MIL to make the gravy . . .[:)])  I've only done it once, and I may have been lucky, but I think with a little practice I'll have it down well enough to post it as a recipe rather than a concept.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><b>....BTW, from what I have seen more Arkys on here would probably be a good thing! Y'all could use the improvement by association!</b> <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Finally some one that agrees with me! I've trying to tell them that for over a year now.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Chez Bubba

Hey, as long as Slick Willy don't show up, you're all more than welcome as far as I'm concerned.[;)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

whitetailfan

Well now that there's more than one of you for an opinion, please tell me...
What's Arkansauce taste like?

yaya GROAN...I've been sitting on that one for months...[:I]

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Cold Smoke

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">What's Arkansauce taste like?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hey Whitetail, are you sure you want an answer to that question?? Watch out what you ask for.......[;)][:D][:D]

Cold Smoke

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hey, as long as Slick Willy don't show up, you're all more than welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Kirk<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
He's too busy with his new library, Kirk. [:D]
Tom

JJC

Hey Sauce Bauce,

Notice that no one's speaking up about their age?  That probably means they're older than you and THEY don't want to be the old farts.  Anyway, who gives a damn . . . you're as young as you feel[:D]!

With a name like Sauce Bauce, I bet you have some terrific recipes to share, so bring 'em on![:p]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hey, as long as Slick Willy don't show up, you're all more than welcome as far as I'm concerned.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

WORD!, now don't get me started here, I don't want ot hear any more Black Helicopters over my house.

Imagine this, that the numbers attendind his new throne have been reported not to be true, basicly overstated.  No, no, no way.  Say it isn't so.  Maybe 'it's the "it" thing again.  

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">What's Arkansauce taste like?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I don't know about anywhere else in Arkysaw, but here in Perry County, I'm sure the recipe goes something like this.

1 large can of "Sure Fine" catsup.  The big honk'n institutional size.

1/2 can of Bush beer left over from the night before, only flat beer will do.

1 cup of Coleman fuel, left over from the Meth cook.

1 small hand full of dried gonja, from your own plot would be the best.  Try and remove the seeds before you add.

For the "real" rual taste, add a half cup pulp wood dust.

4 shots of Crown Royal.

Make sure you use a very large, tall bucket when you cook this.  Until the the coleman fuel cooks down, there could be a chance of explosion.  But if you are a experienced Meth Producer that shouldn't be a problem.

But cook this down till you have only enough to fit into 2 pint size mason jars.

After you done this, let cool and fill the jars.  Pay atention here, this is the most important part.  After you put on the lid, place in a "Royal Crown" (now you know why I said to use Crown Royal) purple felt bag(don't let the light get to it) and then place in your shed for up to three months of aging.

Waaaa~Laaaa you are done.  

Now there are several uses for this.

Add one cup to your favorite pound of ground meat (opossum, beaver, or deer) then place over a plate of spaghetti.

It is also great to add something to your deer dogs food right after your Saturday Night Run (illegal of course, it wouldn't be fun if it wasn't), since you starved them for the previous three days, this would add a little extra to their diet.

Also, if you have any left, you could buy a pot roast and cook it in your condom cooker and place it over the end product.

It is well said "let the humor be done by the proffesionals", obviosly I am not.  I know social commentary and BBQ sause doesn't mix.  But it's Friday, my boss is out of the office in another state AND I have nothing pressing.  This is what happens to an idle mind.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

bsolomon

You can download a copy of the Owner'sManual from the "Download" link at the top of the screen.  Here's the section from the manual to get you started.

<i>Seasoning Method:
Clean the racks and drip tray and place
into the smoker.
Fill the waste pot 1/2 full of water.
Load the feed tube with 3-6 bisquettes.
Open the damper (7); slightly [at the top
of the smoker].
Plug smoker into its own designated
outlet.
Press Bisquette Advance Button (6) until
a bisquette is on the Bisquette Burner
Element (F).
Turn on the smoker by moving the
temperature heat control switch (10) to
between low to medium. Wait for five
minutes. The thermometer (9) should
read 66°C (150°F).
If it is higher, bring down the temperature
by adjusting the temperature heat
control switch to the left to lower and
vice versa when the temperature reads
lower than 66°C (150°F).
Smoke the tower continuously at
66°C (150°F) for 1 - 2 hours, or until
bisquettes are out.
Note: Each Bradley Flavour Bisquette®
burns approximately 20 minutes.</i>

I just completed a topic on this for the new FAQ project that Oldman is heading up.  Here you go:

After much eager anticipation, your Bradley Smoker arrives.  You no doubt have your refrigerator stocked to the gills with different items you have been waiting to smoke.  You've brined and rubbed and prepped, and are eager to being immediately. You're ready to go. Well, not quite.

The first thing you must do with your Bradley Smoker after getting it unpacked and placed in position is a short process call "seasoning the smoker."  The purpose of this process is to prepare the smoker for your food items by removing all traces of odors that linger from the manufacturing process.  You don't want your first smoked items to have the flavor of plastic, do you?  

By seasoning the smoker, you remove all trace odors from the cabinet, and you also get a chance to practice using the temperature control and bisquette advance mechanism.  You'll need to be patient for a little while longer. Don't worry, this won't take long.

To season you smoker, you will need to follow the directions included in your Owner's Manual.  Basically, you will assemble the smoker as directed.  You will generate smoke into the cabinet for 1-2 hours at a cabinet temperature of 150 degrees F.

A couple of tips to keep in mind:

1)  Bradley's Owner's manual says to load up 3 to 6 bisquettes.  Bear in mind that you will always have two bisquettes on the conveyor that will not advance to the burner, so 3 bisquettes will result in 20 minutes of smoking time, and 6 bisquettes will result in 1 hour and twenty minutes smoking time.  To get the full 1 to 2 hours suggested, add two additional bisquettes to the stack, or purchase a pair of BubbaPucks, which are aluminum spacers used exactly for this reason.

2)  With no food in the cabinet, many people find that it is difficult to keep the temperature down as low as 150 degrees.  Don't worry, this is not an exact science, and a little extra heat won't hurt anything.  Just keep moving the temperature slider to the left to lower the temperature if necessary.

3)  What bisquettes should you use for seasoning?  That is a matter of personal preference.  Any bisquette "flavor" will work equally well for this.  Some people immediately purchase large quantities of their favorite flavor, and this is fine for seasoning.  Many first-time owners purchase a variety pack to get them started.  If you have to use 6-8 bisquettes to get the smoker seasoned, you may not have enough left from the original package of 16 to smoke something and try out that flavor.  Here are two suggestions.  First, many people opt to use the Special Blend since it is a good neutral flavor and they often have specific flavors in mind for specific food types.  Alternatively, you could use 1 or 2 bisquettes from each flavor in your variety pack.  The seasoning will be fine and you will still have plenty of each type left over for your first real smoking experience.

MallardWacker

SB,

I think bsolomon got ya going.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Or maybe I have not PO'd the others to the point they won't help me!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<b><u><font color="blue"><font size="2">Don't even think about that.</font id="size2"> </font id="blue"> </u> </b>  If they put up with me for the past year I am sure that you can't get them too mad.  Really, there are some great folks around here.  We have some disagreements from time to time but for some reason at the end of the day we find us all singing "Koom~by~yaa"(sp?) <i>How do you spell that anyway, I don't remeber seeing that in my Boy Scout or Order of the Arrow book?</i>

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">...an old friend of mine from the past named Mike Bruk<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I have not heard of the name but I did look in the Perry Co phone book for you, sorry he's not in there.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas