Smoke & Excitement - That's a good thing!

Started by Sauce Bauce, January 19, 2005, 11:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sauce Bauce</i>
<br /><center></center>

<font size="3"><font color="maroon"> Wackman,

My BS will be here this afternoon and can't wait to fire it up.  I have been looking everywhere to try to find the break in procedures that I have seen posted here but can not find them now for the life of me.

Could you help a fellow Arky?  Or maybe I have not PO'd the others to the point they won't help me!

<font face="Script MT Bold">Thanks!</font id="Script MT Bold">   </font id="maroon"></font id="size3">

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hey Sauce Guy,

Despite your comments about one of my favorite pols, I'll show you some "northern hospitality" . . . [;)]  The break-in procedure is clearly stated in the owners manual in case you find that first, but it's really simple:  1) wash your racks in case any  grit or grime has accumulated; 2) fill the drip bowl about half full with water; 3) put 6 bisquettes (any flavor) in the chute (or 4 bisquettes + 2 Bubba Pucks if you already have them); 4) plug the unit in--preferably into its own outlet--and turn on the smoke generator; 5) press the "Bisquette Advance" button 3 time, waiting about 10 seconds in between each push; 6) move the temp slide switch 1/3 to 1/2 way up; 7) check the temp gauge after about 20 min, it its less than 150F, move the temp slide to the right, if it's more than 150F, move it a bit to the right; 8) the goal is to season the smoker for about an hour at about 150F; if you're higher than that, even quite a bit higher, don't worry--no harm done.  Once you're finished with this initial breaking in process, you're ready to go.  Should take less than 2 hr from start to finish!

Good luck, and let me know if there's any questions   [:)]

John
Newton MA

UPDATE:  Suace Bauce--didn't see the much more detailed reponses to your Q before I posted mine . . . sorry.  bsolomon has a terrific and detailed method for you [8D]
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hey, as long as Slick Willy don't show up, you're all more than welcome as far as I'm concerned.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

WORD!, now don't get me started here, I don't want ot hear any more Black Helicopters over my house.

Imagine this, that the numbers attendind his new throne have been reported not to be true, basicly overstated.  No, no, no way.  Say it isn't so.  Maybe 'it's the "it" thing again.  

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">What's Arkansauce taste like?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I don't know about anywhere else in Arkysaw, but here in Perry County, I'm sure the recipe goes something like this.

1 large can of "Sure Fine" catsup.  The big honk'n institutional size.

1/2 can of Bush beer left over from the night before, only flat beer will do.

1 cup of Coleman fuel, left over from the Meth cook.

1 small hand full of dried gonja, from your own plot would be the best.  Try and remove the seeds before you add.

For the "real" rual taste, add a half cup pulp wood dust.

4 shots of Crown Royal.

Make sure you use a very large, tall bucket when you cook this.  Until the the coleman fuel cooks down, there could be a chance of explosion.  But if you are a experienced Meth Producer that shouldn't be a problem.

But cook this down till you have only enough to fit into 2 pint size mason jars.

After you done this, let cool and fill the jars.  Pay atention here, this is the most important part.  After you put on the lid, place in a "Royal Crown" (now you know why I said to use Crown Royal) purple felt bag(don't let the light get to it) and then place in your shed for up to three months of aging.

Waaaa~Laaaa you are done.  

Now there are several uses for this.

Add one cup to your favorite pound of ground meat (opossum, beaver, or deer) then place over a plate of spaghetti.

It is also great to add something to your deer dogs food right after your Saturday Night Run (illegal of course, it wouldn't be fun if it wasn't), since you starved them for the previous three days, this would add a little extra to their diet.

Also, if you have any left, you could buy a pot roast and cook it in your condom cooker and place it over the end product.

It is well said "let the humor be done by the proffesionals", obviosly I am not.  I know social commentary and BBQ sause doesn't mix.  But it's Friday, my boss is out of the office in another state AND I have nothing pressing.  This is what happens to an idle mind.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

Duck-man--you quack me up [:D][:D][:D]!  That's the best recipe I've seen in a long time . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Habanero Smoker

John,

I wish I could be as polite as you, but being from New York; one them there <font color="blue"><font size="3">Blue </font id="size3"></font id="blue">states, I'll just keep my comments to smoking. [;)]

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JJC

Hi Sauce,

It's 11AM EST--you must have had your BS for at least 4, maybe 6 or 7 hours now.  Whacha smokin' now?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />John,

I wish I could be as polite as you, but being from New York; one them there <font color="blue"><font size="3">Blue </font id="size3"></font id="blue">states, I'll just keep my comments to smoking. [;)]
I know what you mean, Habanero . . . it's tough times for us <font color="blue">blue smokers</font id="blue"> . . . [:(][:)] On the other hand, smokin' is what brings us together, no?[8D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Chez Bubba

Some of my best friends are <font color="blue">blue hunters, fishermen & smokers</font id="blue">. Well, only one hunter, but you get the point. If you can see past the political differences, we're all just a bunch of people who share a passion.[8D]

Ya, I'm a <font color="red">red state guy</font id="red"> mainly because of 2nd Amendment issues, but I can have a hella good time with anyone who wants to talk smoke![:)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Sauce Bauce

<center></center> <font size="3"><font color="maroon"> John,

Everything seemed to be working against me yesterday.  The BS did not arrive until almost 6:30 PM CST.  I immediaely unpacked the BS and began the break in.  Since it was so late and I was so tired I just decided to wait until today to start the first smoke on the new BS.

The break in went great!  No problems at all!  I let it smoke for about 5-6 hours at between 150F and 160F.  Then I turned it off, cleaned out the ashes and emptied the water bowl and went to bed.

I have to go to Grandson's (Bradley) basketball at 11:00 today and then lunch with daughter-in-law and her mother who is in from Monroe, LA for a quick visit. I probably will not get back home until around 4 or 5 PM.  I have a butt roast, approx 8-10 pounds, a Chuck Roast, approx 3-4 pounds and a box of Johnsonville Brats to smoke.

I'm not too worried about the butt since it can be done when it is done, no time constraints.  However I would like to have the Chuck finish off around Noon tomorrow for Sunday Lunch after church.  What do you think? Go ahead and start the butt at around 5PM and the Chuck at about 8:00 AM Sunday morning?

I sure wish my Raptor/Guru had gotten here too but it has not!  That would make things a little simplier.

Have a great day guys!  Going to get cloudy and cold here to day (http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/fcst-hrly.html?locid=72301&from=mycity_wx)

I will catch up with everyone later today.  Can't wait to see what everyone is smoking today.

<font face="Script MT Bold">Thanks!</font id="Script MT Bold">   </font id="maroon"></font id="size3">

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sauce Bauce</i>
<br /><center></center> <font size="3"><font color="maroon"> John,

Everything seemed to be working against me yesterday.  The BS did not arrive until almost 6:30 PM CST.  I immediaely unpacked the BS and began the break in.  Since it was so late and I was so tired I just decided to wait until today to start the first smoke on the new BS.

The break in went great!  No problems at all!  I let it smoke for about 5-6 hours at between 150F and 160F.  Then I turned it off, cleaned out the ashes and emptied the water bowl and went to bed.

I have to go to Grandson's (Bradley) basketball at 11:00 today and then lunch with daughter-in-law and her mother who is in from Monroe, LA for a quick visit. I probably will not get back home until around 4 or 5 PM.  I have a butt roast, approx 8-10 pounds, a Chuck Roast, approx 3-4 pounds and a box of Johnsonville Brats to smoke.

I'm not too worried about the butt since it can be done when it is done, no time constraints.  However I would like to have the Chuck finish off around Noon tomorrow for Sunday Lunch after church.  What do you think? Go ahead and start the butt at around 5PM and the Chuck at about 8:00 AM Sunday morning?

I sure wish my Raptor/Guru had gotten here too but it has not!  That would make things a little simplier.

Have a great day guys!  Going to get cloudy and cold here to day (http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/fcst-hrly.html?locid=72301&from=mycity_wx)

I will catch up with everyone later today.  Can't wait to see what everyone is smoking today.

Hi Sauce,

There's certainly much more experienced BS smokers out there than I, but here's my thoughts.  I'm assuming you are using different woods for the BB and the chuck/brats.

If you put an 8 lb. BB on at 5PM (It's exactly 6Pm EST/5PM CST as I write this) you should figure on 1.5 - 2 hr per pound at 225F, according to Big Smoker.  The 8.3 lb. BB I did last night took 14 hr to reach 195F, for example.  That means you could be taking it out of the BS to start the FTC process as early as 5AM or as late as 11AM.  So getting the chuck/brats in at 8AM is reasonable--even likely--but not guaranteed.  Make sure you preheat the BS to 275F before putting in the BB cuz you'll lose heat when you load in the meat.  You'll have plenty of time to make sure the temp is stable at 225F before going to bed, but you might want to check on it a couple of times during the night to make sure its at 225F.  Since you already splurged for the Guru/Raptor, the following suggestion might seem like a waste of money, or it might seem like no big deal after spending so much $$ on the BS and Guru . . . If you want to have some peace of mind (and sleep) tonite, go out and get a cheap temp monitor with an alarm on it.  I think MW said that Bed Bath and Beyond had some for $20, and the Maverick ET-73, which is a wireless temp monitor, should be no more than $40.  

HTH [:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Chez Bubba

<br />Johnsonville Brats<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[xx(] Smoking will make them edible but there's much better product out there. I hope you don't judge your smoking success based on those turds.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Sauce Bauce

<center></center> <font size="3"><font color="maroon"> Looks like I'm going to be a hero today!  Just finished up wrapping up and cleaning up after an all night smoke.  I put my BB on at 5:00PM yesterday and enough wood for a 4 1/2 hour smoke and fine tuned the temp until I had 220 degrees F.  I had the smoker set up just outside on the patio in a corner where I could just look out the door and check the cabinet temp.  After settling in at 220 it never changed all night more than 2-5 degrees. Before going to bed I placed the probe of my Brookstone Talking Thermometer and set it for 170F.  Went to bed at around 11:00PM and at 3:30AM the alarm said "YOUR ENTREE IS ALMOST DONE"

Got up and took BB out of BS and brought it in and lathered it up with some Sauce Bauce Special and put it back on with another hour of wood.  At 5:00AM the meat temp acheived 170F.  I took it out and wrapped it in heavy foil and two towels and put it in a little nylon folding cooler.  It was a perfect fit!  Placed the nylon cooler in a Igloo cooler and that is where it sits as I speak.

This Butt is for my lifelong frind's lunch today and is he going to be knocked out.  He thinks I cook the best BB anyway but this one is going to be unbelievable.  I had to taste test it of course.  When I pulled the bone out a small piece fell off and that was the chef's taste piece.

I have not even turned the BS off because at 8:OO I am putting on a beutiful USDA Prime Choice Chuck Roast for my lunch. I get out of Church around 11:00AM and I'f figuring by the time my potatoes are baked in the oven it will be ready to eat.

For everyone out there reading this and thinking about owning a Bradley Smoker, I have just one bit of advice, <font size="5">DO IT!</font id="size5"> The weather last night was awful for smoking but I had no problems at all.

(http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/fcst-hrly.html?locid=72301&from=mycity_wx)

It is 19 degrees F now and I had no problems with the Bradley temp.  Once you find that sweet spot on your temp guage, you can just forget it and wait for your meat thermometer to tell you to get ready to eat.  It couldn't be any simpler and I am so happy with mine.  It is just what I always wanted.  I guess I better find homes for my old smokers because I don't think they will get used much anymore

Have a great day guys!  </font id="size3"></font id="maroon">

tsquared

We'll all be over for lunch, Sauce Bauce! Glad it turned out.
Tom

Sauce Bauce

<br /><center></center> <font size="3"><font color="maroon"> Looks like I'm going to be a hero today!  Just finished up wrapping up and cleaning up after an all night smoke.  I put my BB on at 5:00PM yesterday and enough wood for a 4 1/2 hour smoke and fine tuned the temp until I had 220 degrees F.  I had the smoker set up just outside on the patio in a corner where I could just look out the door and check the cabinet temp.  After settling in at 220 it never changed all night more than 2-5 degrees. Before going to bed I placed the probe of my Brookstone Talking Thermometer and set it for 170F.  Went to bed at around 11:00PM and at 3:30AM the alarm said "YOUR ENTREE IS ALMOST DONE"

Got up and took BB out of BS and brought it in and lathered it up with some Sauce Bauce Special and put it back on with another hour of wood.  At 5:00AM the meat temp acheived 170F.  I took it out and wrapped it in heavy foil and two towels and put it in a little nylon folding cooler.  It was a perfect fit!  Placed the nylon cooler in a Igloo cooler and that is where it sits as I speak.

This Butt is for my lifelong frind's lunch today and is he going to be knocked out.  He thinks I cook the best BB anyway but this one is going to be unbelievable.  I had to taste test it of course.  When I pulled the bone out a small piece fell off and that was the chef's taste piece.

I have not even turned the BS off because at 8:OO I am putting on a beutiful USDA Prime Choice Chuck Roast for my lunch. I get out of Church around 11:00AM and I'f figuring by the time my potatoes are baked in the oven it will be ready to eat.

For everyone out there reading this and thinking about owning a Bradley Smoker, I have just one bit of advice, <font size="5">DO IT!</font id="size5"> The weather last night was awful for smoking but I had no problems at all.

(http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/fcst-hrly.html?locid=72301&from=mycity_wx)

It is 19 degrees F now and I had no problems with the Bradley temp.  Once you find that sweet spot on your temp guage, you can just forget it and wait for your meat thermometer to tell you to get ready to eat.  It couldn't be any simpler and I am so happy with mine.  It is just what I always wanted.  I guess I better find homes for my old smokers because I don't think they will get used much anymore

Have a great day guys!  </font id="size3"></font id="maroon">

Oldman

Umm am I a <b><font color="blue">BLUE</font id="blue"></b> in a <b><font color="red">RED</font id="red"></b> state or a <b><font color="red">RED</b></font id="red"> in a <b><font color="blue">BLUE</font id="blue"></b> state.

*Olds thinks about this for a few*

I got it I'm in a RED WHITE & BLUE state.

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Sauce Bauce

<center></center><font color="maroon">
<center><font size="6">BACON FOR LIFE!</font id="size6"> </center>
<center><font size="4">You guys are not going to believe this!</font id="size4"></center></font id="maroon">

<center>

</center>
<font color="maroon"><font size="3"><font face="Arial">The fellow in the pictures is Larry Earley, He lives about 30 miles from Orlando, in the very rural community of Okahumpka, just off the Florida turnpike in Lake County, Florida. He has 20 acres of land and on  it, a few cows and horses. Mostly it's pasture land that is fenced with  woods surrounding him.

He is neighbored by a larger cattle ranch.

His neighbor has complained for several years that wild hogs had been raiding his cattle feeders and salt licks.

Last month he saw what he thought  was a cow in his pond and went  to see if it was stuck in the mud and would have to be pulled out. When he  got close enough to realize it was hog, the thing made a charge at him. He had driven his truck down to the pond and carries a pistol in it (as any Florida redneck would, and I say that with genuine affection). He got his handgun and when it came at him again, he shot it twice and killed it.

Wild hogs in Florida usually run from 100-400 pounds with a 400 pounder being a monster. Because this one had been feasting on grain for several years it had grown to mamoth size. When Larry took it to the processor it weighed in at over 1100 pounds! The meat has no wild taste, as it was grain feed and the Larry  is quite the hero. He has fed may fireman and provided the homeless shelter in downtown Orlando with a couple of meals.

What do you think the estimated smoke time would be for this dude and how many Bradley's would you need to cook it all at one time?
</font id="Arial"></font id="size3"></font id="maroon">

nsxbill

Damn! Sauce
I had some Special Forces friends that felt it was only sporting to hunt hogs with just knives.  Think they would have gone the other way with this rascal and lived to hunt another day!

I wonder what kind of rub he used?

You are pretty old Sauce.  I'm 60.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.