Smoke & Excitement - That's a good thing!

Started by Sauce Bauce, January 19, 2005, 11:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

The Raptor/Guru does not control the smoke generator. It controls the heating element in the cabinet. You need to make sure you hook up the wiring correctly. Plug the heating element (the cord coming from the back of the cabinet) into the Raptor. Plug the Raptor into the smoke generator or another outlet (I use another outlet), and the smoke generator into an outlet. From your post it sound you hooked it up wrong!

<font color="red"><b>IMPORTANT:</b> Do not plug the smoke generator into the Raptor. If you do this the Raptor will turn on and off the generator, disrupting the smoking cycle, and it can cause your pucks to become jammed </font id="red">

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Sauce Bauce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />The Raptor/Guru does not control the smoke generator. It controls the heating element in the cabinet. You need to make sure you hook up the wiring correctly. Plug the heating element (the cord coming from the back of the cabinet) into the Raptor. Plug the Raptor into the smoke generator or another outlet (I use another outlet), and the smoke generator into an outlet. From your post it sound you hooked it up wrong!

<font color="red"><b>IMPORTANT:</b> Do not plug the smoke generator into the Raptor. If you do this the Raptor will turn on and off the generator, disrupting the smoking cycle, and it can cause your pucks to become jammed </font id="red">
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<font size="3"><font color="maroon">Thanks, that is what I thought!  For once I thought before I jumped.  I have not used the Raptor/Guru with the smoke generator yet.  I will post pictures tomorrow of the new cabinet and the mounted Raptor/Guru.  It really looks impressive.</font id="maroon"></font id="size3">

<font size="4"><font color="maroon"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Don</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="maroon"></font id="size4">

Sauce Bauce

<center></center>
<font color="maroon">  It's finished!  Here are the pics of the Bradley Smoker mounted on a custom cart that I built.  Also, there is a picture of the Guru/Raptor mounted on the rear of the BS.

I chose this location for a three reasons.  
(1) It is out of the way and leaves plenty of room on the side for food prep. [:D]

(2) Esthetics.  All wires are bundled and contained.  No messy wires running everywhere like some I have seen. [:I]

(3) I utilized existing cabinet screws on the back of the BS to affix a mounting strip on which I mounted the Competitor and the Raptor.  I did not want to drill any holes that were not already there. [^]

The Bradley is fastened to the cart by four straps installed on the bottom of the BS (again using existing screws) and the top edge of the Oak top on the cart to keep the smoker from falling off during movement of the cart or from being accidentally knocked off. [xx(]
</font id="maroon">
<center><b>See the entire project with detailed pictures at the following URL</b>.</center>
<center>http://home.midsouth.rr.com/doncurrie</center>

MallardWacker

<b><i>I once saw a Nuclear Accelerator look like that.[:D]</i> </b>

All kidding aside that <b><u>LOOKS GREAT!</u> </b>

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Cold Smoke

Wow! "Introducing...The new 2005 Bradley Smoker Limited Edition model with the Enhanced Raptor/Guru Powered option....."[:D][:D]

Pretty slick, Bauce!

Cold Smoke

Chez Bubba

Sweeeeet!

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

Truly a work of art!  I think Bradley would do well to partner with the Guru . . .[8D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Douglas

Hey guys,
I hate to ask adumb question,but here goes-what the heck is a GURU/RAPTOR?
If I thought I should have one,where would i find such an animal?
Douglas

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Douglas</i>
<br />Hey guys,
I hate to ask adumb question,but here goes-what the heck is a GURU/RAPTOR?
If I thought I should have one,where would i find such an animal?
Douglas
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
There is no such thing as a dumb question. The Guru/Raptor is a temperature control device that can be used with the BS to automatically maintain the temperature that you select for the cabinet temperature and alert you when the meat has reached the preset internal temperature. You no longer have to manually adjust the BS. You can find out more information at http://www.thebbqguru.com/index.htm . The Procom 4 is the digital version of the Guru.

It is an accessory that I find very useful. I also found that the recovery time to get the cabinet back up to temperature after the door has been opened is much shorter. This occurs because with the Guru/Raptor the BS temperature controller is always at the maximum setting. It brings the heat up quicker without over shooting the mark.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nsxbill

Sauce,

Take a picture front and side.  I want to see how you mounted your Guru to the back of your smoker.

I have my Procom4 sitting on Stainless Bracket on top of the smoke generator.  I velcro'd the bracket to the top of the generator, and sits at a nice 15 degree angle facing out.  It matters not what angle it sits at, because all the controlling is done from the digital remote.  Primarily just want to see how you mounted stuff up.  My Smoke generator failed, and have contacted BS by email with all the information, and when I get a new one, will probably mount externally like you did.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

humpa

Necessity is the need for all inventions......Great job sauce!!!

Ernie....Weymouth, MA

humpa

or...the other way around!!![:)]

Ernie....Weymouth, MA

Sauce Bauce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />Sauce,

Take a picture front and side.  I want to see how you mounted your Guru to the back of your smoker.

I have my Procom4 sitting on Stainless Bracket on top of the smoke generator.  I velcro'd the bracket to the top of the generator, and sits at a nice 15 degree angle facing out.  It matters not what angle it sits at, because all the controlling is done from the digital remote.  Primarily just want to see how you mounted stuff up.  My Smoke generator failed, and have contacted BS by email with all the information, and when I get a new one, will probably mount externally like you did.

Bill<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><center></center>
<font color="maroon">  Bill,
Sorry I did not get back to you sooner but I have been a little under the weather.  My ticker was acting up again and had to check in to the horsepital for another stint.  Up to 7 now!  Soon I will be like the SBS, all stainless arteries![;)]

To describe the installation of the Guru/Raptor in detail and to provide you with detailed pics, I have set up a temporary web page for you to view.  If you have any questions just let me know.  Here is the URL -

http://home.midsouth.rr.com/doncurrie/</font id="maroon">

nsxbill

Thanks for posting up the install pictures, Don.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

jaeger

Don,

Nice set up you have. I don't see a Guru in my future anytime soon but, it seems like a lot of the time when I'm Smokin it ends up being dark by the time that I'm done and the light looks like quite the ticket. It looks big enough to actually serve it's purpose.

Hope you're feeling better and ready to start some serious smokin!!!

Doug