Tri-Tip

Started by birdboy, January 19, 2005, 03:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdboy

Anyone smoked Tri-tip?  Thinking of trying a couple along with the shrimp this weekend, may try marinating one and rubbing the other...

BigSmoker

birdboy,
I have cold smoked them for a few hours then straight back in the fridge and cook on the grill the next day.  I prefer mine seared then roasted until its almost medium, slice it real thin across the grain and serve on a bun with horseradish sauce and a couple small slices of aged white cheddar[:p].  The last one I did with oak and was quite tasty.  I really like Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express rub on mine.  Its coffee infused and has a real rich taste that goes well with the meat and the smoke flavor.  HTH.

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

It's called tri-tip for a reason. 2 of the tri's are fine tasty & one of them is pretty bad. Figuring out which one is the bad one after marinating & smoking is art form I haven't discovered yet.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

Have to agree with Jeff on the Red Eye rub for tri-tip! [:p][:p]

I just finished one using his approach (rub, sear, roast, sandwiches) and it was fantastic.  Didn;t try the horseradish, but did add smoked cheddar to the sandwich.  Awesome!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

birdboy

Sounds good to me... I'll have to check into the dizzy pig rub, what was the website that showed them all?

What temp are you calling the Tri's done for MR - Med? 160?  Thinking I'll pull them and do the cooler thing for an hour.

Haven't tried Oak yet, think I'll give it a whirl.

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by birdboy</i>
<br />Sounds good to me... I'll have to check into the dizzy pig rub, what was the website that showed them all?

What temp are you calling the Tri's done for MR - Med? 160?  Thinking I'll pull them and do the cooler thing for an hour.

Haven't tried Oak yet, think I'll give it a whirl.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Just click my byline for the rubs[;)].  I pull the tri-tip off my ceramic cooker at 132-135°f.  I leave the polder in after I take it off the grill.  It will usually rises about 10-15°f when seared at 550°f then let it rest for 15 minutes off the grill, then back on at 350°f until its done.  When the polder temp starts to drop I remove the thermometer and slice real thin.  The outer slices of course will be more done than the middle but when sliced very thin across the grain you should be able to eat the whole thing.  I just cooked one last night and look forward to the leftovers tonight.  The rub really adds a nice crust on the outside and the beefy flavor from the sirloin cut is hard to beat for the price.  If you make a sandwich out of it try some salsa on top of it if you don't like horseradish.

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

JJC

I took my tri-tip off at 145F, since we like our meat medium.  By the time we sliced it, it was definitely medium:  reddish-pink in the middle and very juicy (and tasty)[:p]!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

birdboy

Hey Jeff,

Thats were I'd seen it [:D]  Got a sampler pack?  Some of those sound interesting, hard to put a taste to some of those names though [:D]

I'll pull at 145 then, I'm doing a tri-tip with rub, london broil marinated with oak, that will come out then 4 lbs of shrimp with 3 different rubs: cajun ragin, jalepeno-lime, and smoked shrimp. I fire these pups up with alder.