Need some help smoking some chickens

Started by tssgery, March 20, 2009, 04:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tssgery

I'm fairly new at the smoking; I've done briskets and they've turned out fantastic so am now venturing to poultry and need some advice.

I'd love to do two birds, with one of them being a little spicy (the missus and I like a little heat while the kids are more "vanilla").

I assume I'd brine them both the same, and then apply a spicy rub to one of the birds, throw them in the bradley, and finish in the oven.

Can someone recommend a spicy rub for the chicken, and what flavor pucks (I'm thinking Alder or Cherry, but I also have Hickory, Mesquite, Apple, and Jack Daniels). I was originally planning on doing a Turkey Breast from stickbowcrafter (http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=437) but decided to do chicken instead. Think those spices and cherry will be good on the chickens?

FLBentRider

This is a great rub http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=718#post718

It is not that hot, but you could kick it up a notch with some cayenne or other hot pepper.

I use hickory, apple, maple or mesquite on chicken.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

tssgery

Thanks, I may need to try that rub! I'll quarter everything 'cause that looks like it makes a ton :)

Smokin Soon

Also for a bird with a kick, sneak some rub under the skin if the recipe does not call for it. Use toothpicks as required.

KyNola

Tssgery,

The rub that FLBR directed you to is the concoction of my wife(Jan) and me.  We made it originally for chicken but learned it worked pretty well on lots of other things.  I like it on ribs and in meatloaf too.  One thing about the rub is you don't have to put it on the chicken hours before.  You can put it on just before going to the smoker. 

You can easily quarter the ingredients but it really doesn't make all that much and keeps really well for a long time in a plastic container or a zip lock bag.  If you try it, let me know what you think.

FLBR, thanks once again for directing someone to the rub.

KyNola