Started by Jetech, March 20, 2009, 06:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetech

Greetings smokers

I am ready to get back into smoking. I used to use a cheap charcoal water smoker. A bit of searching on smokers took me here. It seems the Bradley units are the best and I am looking forward to getting one soon. I am looking for a 4 rack digital unit and will probably get a Jim Beam unit as they are cheaper from what I have found. Anyone have a good price for a BDS 4-rack? The best price I have found online is $320 which seems pretty good.

As a newbie can some experienced folks recommend and book on smoking?

Great site here from what I have seen and plan to visit often.

Tim

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Jetech!

make sure you check out our recipe site, especially the FAQ section.

http://www.susanminor.org/

I bought by OBS 4 rack on sale at Cabelas.

You might want to check out Yard and Pool - http://www.yardandpool.com - They have great customer service.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Welcome Jetech!

I've got a BDS4 and truly like it.  Before you pull the trigger on the digital, you might consider what you will be smoking.  Ribs, Butts, Briskets, Yardbird are all great on the OBS or the DBS.  However, there are some significant temperature swings with the DBS that might make the smoke experience anxiety ridden for some and make it harder to smoke certain things (sausages for one).  Butts and Briskets in particular could care less, Ribs and Yardbird a little more particular with cheese, fish, sausage even more particular.  It might behoove you to look into a OBS and and PID.  That combo has a tighter temperature control than the DBS by itself.  And why pay for a DBS, when the PID works just as well on an OBS. 

Books - lots of good smoking books, but none that I know that even much mentions smoking on an electric smoker.  Lots of grilling books, but they don't usually have much on "Low and Slow".  Some of my favs and ones I can see from my recliner, are 'Paul Kirk's Championship BarBQ', 'Peace, Love, Barbecue', 'Competition Barbecue Secrets', 'Barbecue Secrets' 'The Barbecue Bible', ' Mastering Barbecue', 'Big Bob Gibson's Barbecue Book', 'Raichlen on Ribs', 'Smoke and Spice', 'Barbecued Ribs, Smoked Butts', 'Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures....', 'John Willingham's World Championship BarBQ', 'Dr. BBQ's Big Time Barbecue Cookbook', 'Mastering the Craft of Smoked Food', and possibly my real favorite 'Legends of Texas Barbecue'.

Glad that you found the site.  It is fun and informative - so grab hold, hang on and take lots of pics.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

manxman

Welcome to the forum Jetech.  :)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Hi Jetech;

Welcome to the forum.

Here are a few books recommended by many members:

Books

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

Welcome Jetech. Enjoy your new smoker.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard Jetech
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Jetech

Quote from: Caneyscud on March 20, 2009, 07:57:02 PM
I've got a BDS4 and truly like it.  Before you pull the trigger on the digital, you might consider what you will be smoking.  Ribs, Butts, Briskets, Yardbird are all great on the OBS or the DBS.  However, there are some significant temperature swings with the DBS that might make the smoke experience anxiety ridden for some and make it harder to smoke certain things (sausages for one).  Butts and Briskets in particular could care less, Ribs and Yardbird a little more particular with cheese, fish, sausage even more particular.  It might behoove you to look into a OBS and and PID.  That combo has a tighter temperature control than the DBS by itself.  And why pay for a DBS, when the PID works just as well on an OBS. 

Caneyscud

Thanks for the info. I have been in between the OBS and the DBS. I can go with an OBS and a PID but don't think it will come in at less than a DBS. As for what I will be smoking, I expect to do ribs, butts, brisket, fish, cheese and poultry. Pretty much everything but sausage. So is it really necessary to go with a PID? Now you say cheese is particular with temp swings of a DBS...correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't cheese be done by cold smoking? I'd like to hear from others on which unit to go with. I am ready to order one just need to give it a bit more thought. So far the best price I have found is $320 for a DBS and $267 for an OBS.

Thanks again for the info   

Mr Walleye

Jeteck, welcome to the forum!

I have a DBS although I have added a PID to it. For me I wanted the tighter temp control for doing sausage and things like Kummoks Salmon (both of which are awesome by the way). There are lots of members that are more than happy without the PID and make some fine looking product to prove it. On the positive side, either way you go, if you decide at a later date that you want tighter temp control you can always purchase a PID at that time. Personally, I would start with the PID but that is just me, there is certainly nothing wrong with running either the OBS or the DBS right out of the box. You are correct on the cheese, you would be running the smoke generator only so a PID would be of little value in that situation.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Caneyscud

Jetech, like Walley said you are right about the PID with the cheese - of no use because of using the smoke generator only.  It was my attempt at saying cheese was more particular about the temperature used.  It will sweat more than I do if you put too much heat on it.  Or you make cheese soup if it is really too hot.  Hard for those racks to hold cheese soup!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

beefmann

welcome to the forum Jetech!

you will find a lot of good information here, good people and as always a helping hand if  needed

sherlock

Welcome to our world....................... 8)

Jetech

Well the shiny new DBS should be here on Friday. I also ordered a Maverick digital thermometer so I should be set. On advise here I got the book Smoke and Spice and it seems very good, mostly recipes but thats what I need for now. I am trying a brisket and baby back ribs this weekend. Using a rub recipe from the book. Any last minute tips on either brisket or ribs? Is the usual cooking time for brisket 1.5 hrs per lb? I think I saw that somewhere on the forums here. Well I hope to get some pictures then figure out how to post them here. Wish me luck.

Gizmo

The time will be dependant on the size of the brisket, the set temp, the overall box temp. and how cold it is just to name a few.
Are you doing a whole packer brisket in the 12 to 14 pound range, or a flat in the 5 to 6 pound range.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Jetech

Quote from: Gizmo on March 25, 2009, 09:22:34 PM
The time will be dependant on the size of the brisket, the set temp, the overall box temp. and how cold it is just to name a few.
Are you doing a whole packer brisket in the 12 to 14 pound range, or a flat in the 5 to 6 pound range.
I am using a 7 lb flat brisket. Our weather is pretty warm being in South Florida, 70-85º. Probably will cook at 200º, that seems to be the normal from what I have read in the forums here. What should the target temp be for a finished brisket of this size? I appreciate any input as I am just starting out.

Thanks
Tim