Old's Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breasts

Started by josbocc, March 22, 2009, 06:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josbocc

After having to obtain some assistance from all of you fine folks..., I was finally able to get my meal together, and into the DBS6.  Due to time constraints, I wasn't able to snap a "before" photo of the Chicken Breasts, but here's a few of the smoke, and the finished products.

Old's Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breasts with Ham and Provolone, and a tray of ABT's  ;D ;D ;D

ABT's waiting for a little loving, along with a frosty beverage

AHHHH, the Bradley doing it's "Thing", next time I'll have to pay more attention to wrapping the Bacon better, I lost a bit of cheese.

Two finished trays of Yumminess.  Would've liked to put the Chicken under the broiler to crisp it up a bit, but Momma's oven has a broiler drawer, and they would've been too close to the burner.

Thanks again to everyone who assisted with suggested times, temps, and other suggestions!

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Ka Honu

Quote from: josbocc on March 22, 2009, 06:43:15 AM...Would've liked to put the Chicken under the broiler to crisp it up a bit, but Momma's oven has a broiler drawer, and they would've been too close to the burner.

Jeff - Looks awesome!  For something like this where you want to brown/crisp a dish after smoking, Char Broil's The Big Easy might be just the tool you're looking for.  Check out their forum (here); it's full of ideas and recipes doing exactly that.

Mr Walleye

They look great Jeff. I'm sure your guests were happy.  ;)

I'm just curious what your times and temps were.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

seemore

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Up In Smoke

Jeff,
looks great!
i gotta give the ABT'S a try!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

josbocc

Thanks Everyone,

Mr.Walleye, thanks to some help from other forum members, I can report that my temp was set at 210, and just as Old's recipe stated, overall time was around 2 3/4 hours.  Would've really liked to have crisped up the bacon (which would have brought the overall dinner temp up a little, they were warm when we ate, but not hot), but as stated above, the broiler drawer wasn't feasible.

I smoked at about 35F for an outside temp, and peaked at the progress, so I guess that my overall cook time could've been shorter.  Just remember to get them to 160 IT and your all set.

The idea about the Big Easy is great!  However..., in the past 1 1/2 years I've added a 10 tray LEM dehydrator, an electric slicer, a sausage stuffer, and a new upright FoodSaver to my repertoire of kitchen toyools.  Momma bought herself a Nuwave infrared oven, and we're just plain out of space at the moment.  Guess I could've put the chicken breasts in the Nuwave, but I would've only been able to get a couple in there at a time, and we had 7 hungry people when the BDS6 said it was done.

This will be a recipe that gets tried again,

Jeff

DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

josbocc

Up in Smoke,

If you've never tried an ABT..., you haven't lived.  My fiancee does not like any spicy foods, but when I persuaded her to just try a nibble of an ABT, now I can't make them often enough.  When you remove the seeds and membrane from the Jalapenos, then smoke, the ABT's retain some of that Jalapeno flavor but won't offend the timid of palate.

You gotta try `em  ;) ;)

Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Up In Smoke

Jeff,
sounds like a project for next weekend!
i don't have a fiance so i guess i will eat them all  ;D ;D ;D ;D
what did you stuff them with?
2 Bradley OBS
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Smokin Soon

Josbocc, those look DE-LISH! I'm with Ka Honu as far as the crisping in the Big Easy is the answer for Bacon wrapped goodies and much more. Do the whole cook outside without using the oven.

josbocc

Up In Smoke,

We used chopped shrimp for the meat of choice.  Seasoned with a little bit of Adobo for flavor, they didn't last long.  They are a little time-consuming to put together, but the end result is awesome.  You've gotta give them a try.

Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Up In Smoke

2 Bradley OBS

lumpy

The Labatts 50 reminds me of my high school days.
Thanks for the memory lane view eh!

Lumpy

josbocc

Lumpy,

It's a beauty eh?  I just hope that the 12-pack of 50 that I bought hasn't been around since those times that you and I remember  :D ;D ;).
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

lumpy

One of my fondest memories was going to the beer store (government controlled in Canada) when I was 16 and buying a case (24) of "50".
It cost me $15.00 CDN. The drinking age was 18 and I almost **it my pants buying a case of beer being underage.

Now I wish I would get asked for ID instead of forking over my credit card for $45

Lumpy