Dammit!!!! :-(

Started by Torchman, January 21, 2005, 12:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Torchman</i>
<br />Well, MY problem got fixed. HOW....I haven't a CLUE!!! I popped it off, drank a beer, fiddled a bit....said "the hell with it".....and it worked!!! [8D]And I did cheese the other night, a small brick of mozerrela....cold smoked for an hour, wrapped and rested for a day. One of my favorite snacks are fried sticks my GF makes, and she calls me at work to ask if she can use the smoke cheese to make me some. HELL YA!!! And HELL YA!!! They were AMAZING!!! And, she went shopping yesterday, so I asked her to look at Sams to see how much Choice briskets were. You guessed it!!! I came home to smoked mozzerrela sticks, and a 14 lb choice brisket waiting for me!! So, I rubbed it last night, wrapped it up, and just put it (folded) on a rack waiting for the smoker to heat up!!! Life is GOOD!!! Wish me luck on my virgin cow!!![:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Good luck, Frank, and WTG![:)][:)]  What wood did you use for the mozzarella smoke?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Torchman

Thanks, JJC!! On the cheese, I used one hour of cherry with the box unplugged and vent wide open. It got hotter than what I wanted (100 deg), but it came out GREAT to ME!!The heat DID soften it a bit, but did not ruin the texture. I let it cool for a bit, then wrapped in saran wrap and popped it in the fridge. I didn't get to taste a peice plain...but the breaded and fried sticks my girlfriend makes just went up about 20 notches on the "YUMM" scale! The smoke got completely through, obviously, but it was very gentle and not overpowering. A perfect compliment to her recipe.BTW, I've noticed that the Bradley I just bought came with 4 mesh (jerky)racks, as opposed to normal racks. I'm not complaining a BIT...just an observation to pass along..
Frank

mgg

Thanks to jjc and jaeger. I haven't tasted bong water since the late sixties but you never forget the taste. Cassandra wasn't mean or unhelpful just not timely nor yet to replace the broken tube a month later. At this point that is neither here nor there. I have a new one from Chez just no idea how to remove and replace it. Back to the cheese. Store-bought reserve cheddar sharp room temperature. I used hickory,cold smoked 1 hour ice in the bowl cold outside low 30s and it was truely nasty. I have made cheese myself for many years and consider myself a a true fan also I don't mind a strong smoke just not an old log from a stale camp-fire. BTW I was reading up on artisan cheese making and smoking in a textbook and discovered that most alficadnos consider Filata cheeses (provilone/motzarella types) to be the best. Further they recommend a pecan shell or apple-wood/corncob(?) to be superior. Last night after 14 hours the 11# pork shoulder/Butt turned out exquisite. Just a little Williams& Sonoma Mustard molasses BBQ sauce to round out the flavors. A great pull and the FTC technique used as well. It was near 11pm. No sauce like a good appetite.
Michael

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mgg</i>
<br />...just no idea how to remove and replace it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Michael,

There are 4 screws that hold the bulb in place via a set of ceramic insulators. Unscrew these and the insulators will seperate to release the bulb. You can then pull the bulb out enough to loosen the nuts holding the wire leads. Just replace the bulb & re-assemble in reverse order.

The big caution here is to not crank too hard on the screws going through the ceramic holders. Finger tight, plus about a 1/4 turn should do it. If you wrench on them, the ceramics will crack. Been there, done that.[:(]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

mgg

Hi jaegger after my diatribe I noticed that I didn't address the wet bisquette question. No I didn't try a wet or even a moist bisquette in the BSS.  I've been electrocuted enough this month. I did leave a fragment of a fractured bisquette in the rain for about 3 minutes and it came completely apart. Probably hydration of the gelatin effect. No, both Kutas and Cutlip in their texts suggest a superior smoke with a damp wood.
Michael

mgg

Hi Kirk thanks for the response. I'm going to R&R the heating tube soon. Probably not until daylight though.
Michael[:)]

jaeger

Michael,

Let us know when you are back in business.[:)][:D][8D]

Doug

JJC

Hi Michael,

Know EXACTLY what you mean by the unforgettable taste of bong water--no matter how long its been [:D][;)]!

Just a thought . . . in my estimation, the smoke "intensity" of the Bradley is much greater than most smokers.  It might be worth trying apple-smoked cheddar, perhaps 1.5-2 hr at below 90F, follwed by a couple of days wrapped in plastic in the frig.

BTW, I've had excellent luck with hickory smoked (1.5 hr, 80F) mozzarella cheese after letting it "age" in the frig for a week or so.  I bet oak or pecan would be great, too.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Torchman</i>
<br />Thanks, JJC!! On the cheese, I used one hour of cherry with the box unplugged and vent wide open. It got hotter than what I wanted (100 deg), but it came out GREAT to ME!!The heat DID soften it a bit, but did not ruin the texture. I let it cool for a bit, then wrapped in saran wrap and popped it in the fridge. I didn't get to taste a peice plain...but the breaded and fried sticks my girlfriend makes just went up about 20 notches on the "YUMM" scale! The smoke got completely through, obviously, but it was very gentle and not overpowering. A perfect compliment to her recipe.BTW, I've noticed that the Bradley I just bought came with 4 mesh (jerky)racks, as opposed to normal racks. I'm not complaining a BIT...just an observation to pass along..
Frank
I agree with you, Frank.  There is no disadvantage to using the Jerky Racks compared to the regular racks.  I bought an extra set of Jerky racks from Chez right after I received by BS.  Wish both sets of racks were Jerky versions.  I've actually suggested to Bradley that they make a smaller mesh version of their Jerky Rack that would make smokin' nuts and other smaller items much easier, as well.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

Bong water?  We are not talking about BONG WATER are we?  Or something different?

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Torchman

WATER!!!!?????? Jesus, I cant do that for a few more years...but at LEAST set sail with the CAPTAIN!!!! :-D Rum is the only way to go!!! :-P

Ded Leg

I had also had a problem with my BS not advancing the biskettes.  The pusher would only move halfway or not at all.  If you take it apart and look at the underside of the pusher mechanism you will see a flat piece of metal that connects to a small electric motor on one end and the pusher mechanism on the other end.  I applied a drop of oil to each of the rotating contact points and that solved the problem.

I decided to try smoked chees and it came out great.  I smoked sharp cheddar, jalepeno jack and colby.  2 hrs at 90 degrees with hickory biskettes.  Pull out of the BS drop into a ziplock bagger and put into the fridge until the next day.  All came out great, however I think the colby came out the best.  The smoked jalepeno jack is fabulous on burritos, bean dip and just about anything else

Ded Leg

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mgg</i>
<br />No, both Kutas and Cutlip in their texts suggest a superior smoke with a damp wood.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Because the smokers and methods they are using would allow the wood to combust without dampening it. The heater plate on the Bradley doesn't get that hot, especially when you factor in a new puck every 20 minutes, so the wood only smolders. They are dampening the wood to keep it from combusting, gaining the smoldering advantage.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

mgg

I everyone sorry about bringing bong water to the forum. The allusion was from a more innocent time. I agree with mallardwacker that rum or JD or even Absolute is a better fit these days. Some- where along the line I joined the establishment. [:)]Thanks for the imput on replacing the element. Its still too cold in Utah to replace the Quartz tube just yet. Did I hear correctly that I bought a brand new model BSS with an older style heating element? Is there a different style or after market modification that isn't a quartz tube?

JJC

<br />I everyone sorry about bringing bong water to the forum. The allusion was from a more innocent time. I agree with mallardwacker that rum or JD or even Absolute is a better fit these days. Some- where along the line I joined the establishment. [:)]Thanks for the imput on replacing the element. Its still too cold in Utah to replace the Quartz tube just yet. Did I hear correctly that I bought a brand new model BSS with an older style heating element? Is there a different style or after market modification that isn't a quartz tube?
Hey, Mike,

Bong water is not THAT far out of synch with the times! [;)][:D] Chez (Kirk) is probably the best person to address the glass vs. steel element question . . . [8D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA