A question for my fellow Meatatarians

Started by Wattles, March 24, 2009, 04:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wattles

I know Im in good company here on this board and Im NEW to the Jerky Addiction Anonymous Club.

Would anyone happen to have a recipe worthwhile trying for a GROUND (wild) Turkey jerky???

Sorry if Im breaking any rules here by asking for a recipe...

THANKS!

Smokin Soon

Ground turkey can be used in many things. Just check the recipe sight and the forum for venison recipes and substitute ground turkey. Like venison it needs some added fat content. I have used it mixed with ground beef as well as pork with good results. Lot's of stuff you can do.

HCT

Wattles, don't be shy asking for recipes. Most everyone hear is more than willing to share. :)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

lumpy

Wattles,
Go to the Jerky board and read the post from Mr. Walleye regarding ground beef jerky. Very informative and basically the same principle.
Althought I would want to make sure that the turkey is properly cooked.

Lumpy

sherlock

Wattles

You mean

Jerky
Addict
Crew
Annonomous
Secret
Society

Right?

Wattles

LOL

well, something like that sherlock!

i was just wondering if there were any specific recipes for ground turkey as opposed to the red meat varieties...

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Wattles on March 25, 2009, 04:33:57 PM
LOL

i was just wondering if there were any specific recipes for ground turkey as opposed to the red meat varieties...

wattles

dont cook your gb, gt before you extrude it into jerky. with turkey make sure you cure it and take the heat to 150 /160*

if you need some help come on over when i get back home. we will make some jerky and drink some beers.

nepas

josbocc

Wattles,

I'm with Smokin Soon.  I haven't tried TrkyJrky yet, but have been told that you do need to mix something with a little bit of fat content with your bird.  I've tried doing straight venison in the past, and it's come out really, really dry.

Better yet, take NePas up on his offer.  Have a few "wobbly pops" make up some jerky, and if it turns out crummy (doubtful with NePas help), you won't really care  ;)

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Wattles

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on March 25, 2009, 04:41:19 PM
Quote from: Wattles on March 25, 2009, 04:33:57 PM
LOL

wattles

dont cook your gb, gt before you extrude it into jerky. with turkey make sure you cure it and take the heat to 150 /160*

if you need some help come on over when i get back home. we will make some jerky and drink some beers.

nepas

i gotta get me some FRESH wild turkey meat first!  LOL

sad story?  a few months ago i lost a WHOLE upright freezer FULL of wild game, including 3 boned out wild turkeys.  it broke my heart!   
sooo, 2009 will be spent restocking! 
one FL osceola down so far!

Caneyscud

Quote from: Wattles on April 07, 2009, 03:41:17 PM

one FL osceola down so far!

You almost had me real excited there!  Now, If you can get an ocellated turkey, I'd get excited and buy the skin/feathers from you!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Smokin Soon

Another twist on the turkey thing you can do is use Hab's Canadian Bacon recipe on the breast and increase the soak times to make it not too salty. Makes a really good grind to mix in with your GB jerky or fatty. Just a thought.