smoke then crock

Started by viceman, March 28, 2009, 06:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viceman

made some pulled beef .
started with a 6 lb "eye of round loin" whatever that is :)
cut it in half , used apple cider vinegar ,olive oil and rub for the marinade.
smoked for 4 hours then the heavy rain came. so i pulled the meat and brought the smoker in,
said what the hell and  finished it in a crock pot until it fell apart.
it came out really well . great smokey flavor and very moist. 

anyone else ever finish in a crockpot?

Wildcat

Yes.  I sometimes just coat with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and onion, smoke for 4 hours at 210, then continue cooking in Bradleyfor another hour or so at 210.  Then I transfer to crock with a small amount of apple juice until tender.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

For long events like today, I use the crock to keep the meat nice and warm.  Splash of something, usuallly apple juice, to keep it moist.  Tonight it was pulled pork dressed in Ice's soppin sauce cut with some cider vinegar, with plenty of the full strength stuff on the side.

As far as finishing in the crock, I haven't done that.  but I have done the move from the Bradley into the low temp oven with a splash in the foil covered foil pan.  I resisted that idea, but that was a mental block on my end.  Crock pot is kind of the same thing, really, I imagine. 

Would you do it again?
Consiglieri

Smokin Soon

I tried the crock finish one time and and was not happy with it. Very good after a long slow cook to serve to a crowd, but not for a final cook.

meatgeek

Good morning.

I have finished in the crockpot many times.  I do it mostly for pulled pork or if Im taking a brisket to make pulled beef.  It doesn't need a splash of anything, the crockpot will inherently keep the moisture in, almost too much of it in fact.  The pulled porks and briskets are always fall apart tender and moist, but the bark loses its crunch.  I will set one on low, and it is always done sooner than if I finish in the Bradley or in the oven (I guess 'low' is a little higher than  225).  After it's done, I'll leave it in there on 'keep warm'  'til we're ready to eat.  I've found this to be a very portable way to feed my friends, as I can wrap the crock with towels and stuff it into a cooler and take it to work or picnics or wherever.  I also will do it for home meals when I need to free-up some oven space, and everyone still raves.

don't be afraid of the crockpot, it is your friend ;)

Laura

viceman

if i'm going to use it for pulled meat i will
do it again.

i have a nice peice of smoked  butt in the freezer.   i'll use the crock to heat it later this week
i'll post the results